Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tight throat !

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Tight throat !

I have a question that I need some help with my throat feels tight and very hard to swallow does anyone know what this could be?  My throat is not sore but, I'm really struggling to swallow.

Any suggestions or help....  Please

Take care
Misty
I don't have any answers for you. Have you been to see your doctor? That would be your best bet, because we aren't doctors and it sounds like you need to have it looked at.

Good luck,
Paula
Hi Misty, I had this feeling last Autumn but it was maby not as bad as you describe it. I did cough often, and afterwards I learned that it happens when your saliva goes the wrong way. Throat felt tight but things only got stuck like at the top of the tongue, I had difficulty trying to move it down to the throat. So it seamed like many of the muscles in that area were not working right.
Hope you´re better.
My best,
Dagun
The medical term for difficulty with swallowing is called "dysphagia".  You will need to inform your PCP or Neurologist (or both) of this symptomatological event.  Why? Because the inability for your esophagus to move liquid or solid food down your throat in a productive way can lead to serious complications (ie: obstruction and/or aspiration).

You need to find out the cause (etiology) of why you're having difficulty swallowing.  There are quite a few causes that can inhibit the normal functioning of your esophagus.  When you inform your PCP and/or Neurologist they will most likely have you see an ENT (Ear, Nose Throat) specialist, Gastroenterologist (for GERD or Reflux disease -- acid can form scars on the esophagus from the ulcers) or Speech/Swallow pathologist, Neurologist and so on to determine the cause.  Sometimes tests such as barium swallow can reveal the culprit.  There are other tests that can determine causes as well in conjunction with the aforementioned.

Dysphagia should not be ignored and put on the back burner thinking it may or may not go away.  

I hope you're doing better Heartfelt and please let us know what you're doing about it.

Lisa

Thanks so much for all of your replies.  I did contact my doctors both PCP and neurologist.  I have an appointment with an ENT on the 13 th of this month.  I have an EGD test setup for the 17th of the month.  I'm not sure what this test is going to bring.  I'm wondering if I've been having muscle spasms in my throat.  I will give everyone an update on what's going on and I'm so thankful that u guys take the time for me.  

Also if u could keep me in your prayers for tomorrow I have a big appt.  That I'm hoping will give me some answers.

Take care....  God bless..

Misty
Good girl to take the bull by its horns!  I'm glad you're going to the ENT and Gastroenterology for the EGD.  I will pray for you on all three dates! (13th, 17th and tomorrow!)

You my dear, take care and bless you too.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Lisa
I went to appointment on the 7th of this month. They want me to redo Mri of cervical spine.  And Emgs that I did a year ago they want me to redo them also.  So, I have to go on the 22 for the test.  Doctor was so nice and very concerned.  She said as soon as you have the test call me directly and I will test you what I see.  I'm very surprised over that because I have never talked to a doctor over the phone.  She was very up front and honest.  She said that its your body and your the one that suffering you have the right to know your test reports.   I'm hoping that I'm maybe heading in the right direction.  

She also clarified that the heat will make thing worse for me.  That I needed to cool down the water.  She put me back on gabapentin at a higher dose.  2000 mg a day.  I'm hoping that will work.   I can say that tonite is the first night I'm so relaxed my body is actually relaxed and in no pain.  I haven't had that in months.  

I can only hope and pray by body continues to feel this way.  It's was getting so bad it actually took everything that I had to hold back tears because of the pain.   I just feel free tonite even though I can't walk but, No pain.

I Really hope everyone can understand this because I'm a little loopy tonite and so tired but, wanted to take some time to give this update on what's going on with me...

So, sorry please excuse my typing I'm trying.  Maybe I should've waited until I was in a better condition but, I feel good.  And, for that I'm greatful to have just one day of no pain.  

I know you guys will all understand and are very supportive.  I'm very thankful for all the support that everyone gives.

Any thought,  I might have find the right doctor we will see.  I consider this to be an interview.  

She had left a a lot of options about my medical care up to me and I've never had a doctor who did that. She even said we are not like other doctor please font compare us to others and I will not give you tests that's not need just so they can bill the insurance.  

The other thing I found interesting was when you have an Emgs test they have to bill for each needle that goes into the arms or legs and she said some of those are not needed.    Please pray that I will have answers after the 22 of this month.  

Thanks for all the support and replies it means a lot to me.

I hope this all makes sense to everyone because I know what I want to say its just getting it on a page.  Thats hard to do tonite for some reason.  But, I will take it over pain any day.

Hugs to all.....   Thanks for the prayers from everyone.

Misty......   Next appt is Ent doctor on the 13.  Oh and she ask about me seeing an eye doctor don't know why?  I haven't see one in maybe 4 yrs.  No reason to.   Time for some sleep...   It's 12:33am here.  

Goodnite....   I will be posting more about my appt.  I just would like to hear different thoughts or opinions.
Thank you for replying to my post they were all very helpful.

Take care
      Misty
I went to the Ent doctor he said that it was a spasm on my vocal cords and inflammation was in volved.  He said there is nothing he can do and if I need to go back I can.

Take care.....  Any thoughts about this?

Misty.....   Thanks for everyone helping and replying to my post.
Are you taking medication for the spasms?  I usually take Baclofen and Zanaflex.  If nothing else, I'll try hot liquid to help things relax.
Thanks for replying to my post.  Yes, I'm on zanaflex which I need to take more often but, I don't like the loopy feeling.  I'm also back on gabapentin of 2000 a day.   Which I slowly moving up to it.  

Thanks again....  I'm hoping that this never happens again.

Take care
  Misty