Tingling vs. Numbness
Just a curious question.

What is the difference between tingling and numbness?   I know they are both paresthesias, but does one signify an irritation versus damage to a nerve or ???

Do any of you just experience tingling and not numbness and vice-versa?

Numbness is like when your feet fall asleep and you don't really have any feeling in them.  Of course when they wake up then you really feel the tingling and it does hurt.

That's the only way I know how to describe it.  I hope that helps.

I'll be praying,
Carol
My take on this is that they are similar symptoms on a continuum. If a dentist shoots you with Novacaine (sp?), your jaw will get totally numb, and touching it will be like touching someone else, not yourself. When that starts to wear off, it begins to tingle, so I think that may be just partial numbness.

ess
What a perfect explanation.  Perfect!

Heather
That is a perfect explanation by ess.  It triggers another thought.  My sister has drop-foot (for over a year) and has no feeling in her foot at all--just like it's dead.  She also cannot move it.  A day or so after her first Tysabri infusion a few weeks ago, she reported to me that there was some "tingling" going on in her foot.  To me that's a great sign!  Our thoughts are that perhaps she may regain some use from this foot.

I don't know if this example helps, but I'm so excited that I wanted to share  . . .

Deb
This DOES sound like a good sign for your sister.  That shows that some feeling IS coming back.  Please let us know how her foot progresses.  We are hoping for the best and I will certainly send prayers her way.  What good news.

I too, hope it is some start of recovery for her...

Best Wishes,
Heather