Multiple Sclerosis Community
Toe Cramping

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Toe Cramping

Just a quick question...does anyone here have persistent toe cramping?  My toes in the last few weeks are cramping terribly!  It happens when I lift my feet off the floor, when I am lying in bed and the worst is when I am driving I get cramps in the toes on my right foot and it is a little scary...I am afraid that I will lift my foot off the brake or push down on the gas inappropriately when these cramps hit!  Any ideas out there?

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
I've been getting foot cramps - had 'em before I was diagnosed, actually.  I thought it was a little odd.  Now I know!

I get a couple of different kinds.  My foot will cramp up at the bottom, and it feels like my toes are curling in toward the ball of my foot.  That happens after exercise.  I also get a big toe cramp where it sticks up and won't go back down - that happens at night, while I'm asleep.  Wakeup call!  

Of course, I don't drive much any more, because I tend not to make the right decisions - I fear I'll end up having an accident.

I'm not sure what to do about it.  When my big toe cramps, I can point my foot, which stops the big toe, but it causes the bottom of my foot to cramp!  Or my calf, or my hamstring.  So anybody with any ideas, speak up!
I also have the dreaded toe erection with my big toe on the right foot.... you  described it and the subsequent cramping perfectly.....  Lulu
Hi Rena,

Undxed, but yea, I have what I call the crazy toes....hee....hee....hee  Mine also get me the worse when I lay down, but if I ever bend my big toe down....its on.   Toes go every which way and it really hurts!!!

I've been lucky driving, haven't had any problem yet.

Have to start calling you crinkle toes!!!!

love,
doni
I'm sorry, but first, allow me to giggle as a schololgirl at LGK's "dreaded toe erection"! OMG, laugh of the day!!
I used to get them specially when i was driving (of course) and i have very short, fat toes (my friends call them "little beans" bleh) so for me, to take off my sock and see my middle toe trying to what seemed make a run for it was the carziest thing ever. I still get them. In fact, i got one yesterday and this morning, right foot most of the time. Should i go back to threaten my feet with chopping them off if they don't behave as i used to??
love,
Farrah
I get toe cramps, too, on my right foot, mostly.  My third toe sticks DOWN and moves over under my fourth toe; such a weird, painful thing!  Sometimes warming it up under running water helps.

I also get the cramps in the bottom of my feet, so my toes fan out and cramp, too.  That used to happen only in my water exercise classes, which I had to give up.  Now it happens in bed.

I've only had toe cramps while driving a few times, and tried stuff like taking my foot off the gas and stomping my foot on the floor (after checking to see if anyone was at all close behind me).  It seemed to help somewhat.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Hugs,

Kathy
I hadn't thought this had anything to do with MS until I read your post.

I have been getting cramp like pains in the side of my right foot.This is excruciating and causes my little toe to stick up. Only lasts about 20 seconds or so but has happened about 10 times.

I haven't tried anything to stop it but Rena's idea sounds good. I have been lucky not to get this when I drive, it just seems to happen for no real reason.

I hope you can get some relief from this, I know how painful it is.
TB
I am so glad I found this website.
I did not link the toe cramps which I never had, had before with my MS. But now it makes sense. Thanks all for being here.
Kim

Yes I get cramps or spasms in both feet, (one at a time ) days a part

My toes lock, curl down. Big Toe erects LOL and all others spread apart  It last a few minutes,

Hurts really bad and always happened when i am sitting  and sometimes they wake me up when sleeping ( I scream )  My poor husband                                                            
Linda
Hey, kids!

I don't like to push consumer products, but the Ped Egg people have come out with a gel thingie that fits over your toes.  It's supposed to let your toes stretch out and give some relief...  I won't post the link here, but Google "pampered toes gel foot" and you should find it.
Yep, me too, my big toe curls toward the ball of my foot and just won't let go.  Hurts!  I have had that for years, wonder if it is part of this whole thing?

Sorry you have it too..................
My second toe curls under my large toe and it's so painful.  Glad to know this is definately linked to my MS and it's not some other strange disease I have yet to discover.
I'm glad this got pushed back up - I had completely forgotten about the gel thingie.
How do the Drs. check you for MS? I have all these symptoms on my feet and also my little finger on both hands!
It scared the heck out of me. The toe next to my big toe stood straight up.

Yes it was painful. I had to have my daughter push it back down:-)
My big toe on my left foot gets swollen and gets sharp, painful cramps.went to a podiatrist and he Dxd it as arthritis resulting from the MS. Oh joy...

Deb