Multiple Sclerosis Community
Toes Curling under? Is this MS thing? Why

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi Guys,
I have noticed on my left foot where I get most of my numbness across my toes that my toes are now curling under more like a claw or a banana shape, the two worst toes is where I feel my worst numbness.

My toes are like this all the time, not just when I am feeling the numbness, does this happen with nerve damage and MS. Does anyone else have this.  Toes on my other foot are normal.

Cheers,
Udkas.
Have you told your Neurologist? I have not heard of this myself but it sounds Neurological. By the way how are you otherwise. I miss you.

Alex
I get foot spasticity that has curled them down and pulled them up and spread them apart.  The neuro said spasticity.  He also said that the spacsticity  is the result of a sensory issue where the brain can't figure out where the foot's position is so it causes the muscles to activate in strange ways.  

It is usually worse when I lay down and have no pressure on the bottom of my foot.  Then the toes and foot tend to curl down and cause pain.

Bob
On my right foot  my toes claw downwards, I think this contributes too the top of foot pain I get which feels like cramp, Bob suggested it was probably spasticity.

But on my left foot my 2nd & 3rd toe have parted company and now make a V shape! which pushes againist my little toe!

Neuro physio was reaaly amazed at this.

I'm just weird!
I have a similar problem with my right foot.  The toes aren't always curled under but I can usually feel some extra tension(?) in them.  When I point my toes or foot downward - like to put on a shoe - it will often set off a spasm that pulls 2-3 toes and my outer foot under (painfully!).  I can sometimes prevent it from getting too bad if I flex the foot up and press my sole to the floor.

The MS specialist therapist on the teleconference this week suggested I can begin to get a better stretch on the involved muscles by moving the foot to a pointed position v- e-r- y   s- l- o- w- l- y, holding for 30 seconds or more and then returning slowly to a flexed ankle position.  

I have been able to do that without spasm when I am fearless and SLOW.  The therapist reminded me that spasms are velocity related and will occur most often when I move fast.  He also suggested I talk to my doc about taking my Baclofen on a more regular basis.  I tend to resist long term drug therapy but I'm having daily spasms in several different muscle groups now.  Regular Baclofen dosing seems imminent.

Spasticity is part of MS and may be what is keeping your toes pulled down.  Are you taking an anti-spasmodic?  The therapist giving the presentation was VERY encouraging about the ability to decrease pain and increase movement using an individualized plan of regular but non-aggressive stretching.

I'd check with your doc and see about some therapy with a PT who knows MS.  If this continues you won't be able to get a shoe on and you could easily lose mobility (keep those horses ready!).

Mary
I have bilateral spasticity and notice my toes do something weird. I am not exactly sure what because I have my shoes on and can't see them but I can feel it.
I was diagnosed in August of 2008 with PPMS... I have had this problem with my toes curled under from the beginning... My kids will laugh at me and my poor deformed feet... They sorta have a mind of their own... I feel like it's always better to laugh than cry so that's what we all try to do...

I also have days where they will spread apart and some curl up while others curl down... this hurts when it happens and fortunately it doesn't happen that often...

I wish you the best and just remember just because one person with MS has this symptom, others may have never heard of it... We are certainly a different breed if you ask me... lol

I'll be praying,
Carol
Thanks for your replies,
I have been in a very hot climate of late (on holiday) and doing lots of walking etc. but my toes keep going numb and when I looked at them they were curled funny on one foot, even my husband noticed, but I am not sure if I just have funny toes on one foot or if it is associated with my numbness and neurological stuff, I think it is, oh well, it's not causing problems walking, I find that in this heat my legs seem to be weaker than normal and fatigue levels worse than the fact my toes are curled under, but could cause problems, and yes apparently I have a spastic gait according to physio I walk with legs wide spread etc.

Thanks for your replies.
Cheers,
Udkas.
my toes curl under when I walk because of weakness in my legs. at lest that is what I think and because of balance issues. My balance is real bad and its like my toes curl to grab hold. I told my neurologist about it and he just nodded. I also get spams on my feet and legs. luckly not both sides at same time luckly. ok, a few times both but mostly one side or the other, whatever one is weakest at the time.

limbo lander
Raz
my big toe has curled downward at the joint and there is some pain  when shoes touch joints.  I'm 65 and a couple of older people have the same problem.
Hi CP- Welcome to our world :-)

This thread is pretty old. It was last updated over 2 1/2 years ago. Why not Ask a Question and introduce yourself. We're a very friendly bunch!

Kyle
One of the first things I noticed and pointed out to my daughter's pediatrician was that she was stumbling, and toes were starting to cross over one another. One doctor ignored it, but the next saw it an a neurological sign, and sent us to a neurologist.  Just our experience with toes doing odd things on their own....
I have this issue in both feet. I went to my Rheumatologist last month for a follow up for Fibromyalgia and questioned this.  I was told it is called Hammer Toes and is caused by hyperextended joints.  I have yet to question neurologist.  I was diagnosed with PPMS in 2009.
Debbie
~live as if all your dreams came true~