Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tongue Pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Tongue Pain

Has anyone experienced tongue pain? Several months ago I was having pins/needles on the tip of my tongue and way back along the upper part of my throat. Thias subsided for quite some time and all of a sudden the other night I had pain along the bottom right side of my tongue. It felt so strange, not excruciating, just enogh to be bothersome. Last night I had the same pain, but acoss the entire bottom and all the way to the back of my tongue - almost made me feel like I was going to gag. I don't get mouth/throat symptoms often, but they are quite frightening.
Yes, but not as bad as you describe.  I am not aware of it so much until I move my tongue - like talking or eating.  Also, the area behind my front teeth are somewhat numb. When this started years ago I had my dentist take a look around. Everything was normal except for the sensation.    

I know of one other forum member who has tongue pain.

Tell your neurologist if this is a new symptom.  

My gums also feel very sensitive at times when I am chewing, esp. on the left where most of my symptoms occur. Also feel mild pain when I bite down sometimes. I have also been to the dentist twice within the past year and am told there is nothing clinically wrong with my teeth/gums.
Tongue tingling is a fairly common symtom in MS. I've had that for 2 1/2 years straight, and in the beginning I also had slight numbness on the left side of gums and lips. These are paresthesias (abnormal sensations), as there is nothing structurally or functionally wrong.

Tongue pain falls into the same category, though it sounds a lot worse. You might get some relief from a medication for neuropathic pain such as Neurontin or Lyrica.

Best of luck,
ess
I woke up one night feeling like a 9 volt battery was stuck to the tip of my tongue.  It was as awful feeling that comes and goes as it pleases now.

D
I also have a tingling sometimes sore tongue...it also affects my gums behind my front teeth. My dentist said there was nothing dental about it. I went to a crack pot doctor who prescribed me magic mouth wash but left the room without telling me what the diagnosis was. The mouthwash made it worse. I called the same doctor and ask what could be causing it and he said acid reflux. I have never heard of treating acid reflux with magic mouthwash. I tried prilosec for about a month or so with no relief. I started reading on the Internet and found something about b12 deficiency but never anything about Ms. That's kinds scathe. What are more symptoms?
I've have tingling in the back of my tongue as well as the uvula (the dangly thing in the back of your throat).  My Neuro told me its probably my B12 low.  Got tested and it was 600+.  It comes and goes but never had pain.

I know sometimes (not all) that if I put something in my mouth for the first time and bite down to chew, I'll get a shooting pain in my jaw and it travels to my temples.  Doesn't last long though (thankfully)

Vit B12 deficiency can give you ataxia (poor balance), paresthesia (numb/tingling sensations), fatigue, shortness of breath, etc and MOST people who are deficient do have neurological symptoms.

Can you get yourself checked for your Vit B12 levels?

Hope everything will get better soon!!!

Lisa
I have an appt and i am going to ask the doc to check my b12 and anything else he can think of.