Multiple Sclerosis Community
Transverse Myelitis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Transverse Myelitis

I am confused as to my test results. My cervical spine mri impression reads; slight larger lesion at the left cervicomendullary junction and slight smaller cord lesion on the right at c2 level compared to one year ago. None of these lesions enhance. Compatible with demyelinating process. Does this mean one is better and one is worse? I am 50 years old. Please help me understand these terms.
I'm not sure lesion size is a key factor. I think a lesion is a lesion. The report says "Compatible with demyelinating process." This means it could be MS. I assume you do not have an official diagnosis. That neither lesion enhanced means that the are not currently inflamed. This can mean that they are not new/active.

You neuro will combine these findings with others, like LP, clinical exam and blood work to determine the diagnosis.

Hope this helps,
Kyle
Thank you for your response, my MS Doc thinks it is less than 10% chance it is MS. I am Vit. D defficient (25 last year and 26 this year even after 1000 iu per day vit. for the past year) No white matter in brain mri. He told me he might not ever determine what it is. This is all very confusing and frustrating as I have had complete numbness without a relapse in my left hand for over a year now.
If I were you, and I had lesions of any kind in my brain, and my left hand had been numb for over a year, and I neurologist that couldn't come up with any answers, I'd be looking for a new neurologist!
PS my Vit D level was 25 at last check. I take 5000 IU/day.
Thanks for all your help.
Lesions in the cord are certainly something to be concerned about.  Lesions in the brain can be written off to ischemic attacks, but yours are large and in the neck.  Find a new neuro, I think!
since you have large lesions in the spinal canal I would look into Devics disease it is a MS mimic and there is a blood test to see if you have it.

good luck
Kat
If you're growing NEW lesions (compared to a year ago) that is a relapse, and fits better with MS or Devic's.  TM is almost always a one-shot deal.

I agree to find a new neurologist.  I was formally diagnosed with MS after the spinal tap results cleared up all the confusion :)

I do not have any lesions on my brain, everything is in my cervial and thoracic.  Like you, I started with numbness in my arm/hand.  I still have not had any of the more typical symptoms of facial involvement or the cog fog, I have pretty much all physical symptoms.  

Ask the hospital / center where you had the MRI(s) done for a disc of the scan and take it with you to a new neuro.  I did the same, I switched neuros after my original insisted for months that I had CNS lyme.  We also did not click, he was a bit of a jerk who insisted on telling me what to do, not talking about options or considering any thoughts / input.  

Good luck!   Don't hope for you to hear MS, but hope you find an answer of some sort!

Jen
Thank you, my doctor tested for Divic's last year when I first had symptoms. I tested negative. Maybe he should test again?
Thanks, I did get a disc from the MRI place. I appreciate the advice.
Hi, Please can some one help me, I am having a burning senation all up and down my spine, and on either side, there is no pain, hot to the touch, I am not sure if I am at the right site. Please can som-one help me. Please pay no name to user name, thanks.