Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tremors

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Tremors

So I had the MRI done yesterday...had the radiologist read it and he said its completely normal..had my dad who is a neurootologist look also with the radiologist and they both concur that it is normal...so where does that leave me...what else could cause my symptoms....im dealing with really shaky hands right now...so that leads me to my question...what are tremors...what constitutes a tremor...and how long do they normally last...can you get them bilaterally...or is it usually one side?
Hi Joelle. MS tremors are only one kind. There are other neurological disorders that can cause them too. Parkinson's Disease is a big one that comes to mind. Please Google that. You will find that Parkinsonion tremors are quite different in quality. I'm certainly not suggesting you have that or any other disease, just saying that tremors do need to be investigated by a neurologist.

I have had hand tremors since I was 20 years old (long long ago). I was told when I was young that I had essential tremor, which basically means that nothing else is wrong and that it is not a serious condtion. Essential tremor is often hereditary, but not in my case. Google that too for more info.

I also have MS, but my tremors seem to be entirely separate from that. My tremors are bilateral.

Please stay calm while this is looked into. Tremors alone are not harmful, though they can be embarrassing. Still, I've lived through them just fine.

Good luck,
ess
thanks for taking the time to explain this to me!  I dont think I have tremors as I dont have involuntary movement or flailing limbs.  I just feel as though I have had too much caffiene at times..Its worse in the morning...but like tonight...its not as bad...how weird is that...do you see symptoms of MS get better as the day goes on.  It seems to always be like this for me...my shakiness is worse as the day starts but settles down later on.  
Hi Joelle,

I have tremors too.  At first I was diagnosised with Parkinson's and was treated for a  year and a half.  The medicines made me worse.  I got to where I coul d hardly walk.  Nothing was adding up.  So, I went to Mayo.  After so many test, I lost count, the last test diagnosised me.  I have POTS Syndrome or Dysautonomia, plus a lot more other things.  But this described my symptoms.  It has to do with autonomic nerveous system misfiring.  Tremors seems to be a part of it. Let me know what you find out.
Joelle:

I have bilateral tremors in my hands, but also have tremors in other parts of my body. Hand tremors do run in my family (father's side) and defintely get worse with age. It used to be funny to sit at the dinner table, watching coffee or tea get served with the cups rattling in the saucers! Given that, it is hard to know whether my tremors are familial or due to something else. I will have to ask my father if his tremors are bilateral or limited to his dominant hand.

From a web search:

"Hand tremors can manifest themselves in three basic ways. First, static tremors occur only when the hand is at rest. Second, kinetic tremors are just the opposite, and occur only when the hand is in motion. Finally, postural tremors occur only when the hand is held in a particular position. Any of these types of tremors can be familial; that is, they run in your family. It is important to understand your family's medical history when seeking help for your tremors, since it may help explain the tremors' origin. "

My tremors manifest themselves in all of the ways cited above. I have noticed a decline in my penmanship over the past six months (aged 53), which is much earlier than my father or aunts and uncles.

I have a head bobble and my tremors are mostly on my right side.  It is worse if I'm over tired or stressed.  I also have severe weakness.  At times my legs won't pick up.  So far, I havent been diagnosised with MS, but the last MRI showed "white matter".  I had a terrible neurologist who wouldn't comment on what that meant.  So, I still don't know.  I feel like it's all connected to the POTS and Ehlers Danlos -- these have to do with the autonomic nerveous system and the electrical system of the body.  I high and low blood pressure and pulse rates.  I have severe pain, pretty much all over.  Just trying to learn what I can and find answers.