Multiple Sclerosis Community
Trigeminal Neuralgia

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Trigeminal Neuralgia

Last night, I felt this crushing pain come and go on the left side of my face and head near my left ear, deep inside. The last time this happened it was on the right side with right ear pain.
Bob gave a great explanation to this on another post I had about ear issues.

Does TN pain switch sides or do you normally get it on the side that it attacked first? Could this be something else? What other conditions can cause face pain that radiates to your ear?

Sorry for all the questions... hear I go again. LOL
So far this morning it happened twice, Last night it went on for the whole rest of the night until bed, come and go, come and go, sharp stabbing pain.

Thanks everyone!!
Pam
Hi Pam I love your screen name by the way thats the way I feel too . but back to the pain you are having I have experienced it before on the right side of my face it lasted for several hours and was worse than a migraine. i forgot to tell my doctor about it but it probably wouldnt have done any good anyways. I dont know why you have experienced this pain. could it be coming from a tooth? i hope it goes away but just wanted to give support because I have been there.

take care
Kathy
I have had it on both sides at different times (2 years apart).  However, the diagnosis of TN was always after some tooth extraction (on either side), but the symptoms did not start until 4 to 5 days later when swelling and healing would be underway.  It is the most painful episode I've ever had.  One TN episode lasted 11 days (I was fine after the tooth extraction for 3 to 5 days then WHAM!).  

I know at times if I place food in my mouth I will get this stinging feeling in my jaw line, moving upward along into my ear and temporal area.  I always thought I had something wrong with my taste buds.  Now I wonder.

Pam I hope it went away and I hope you jotted this down.  Questions need to be asked at your next appointment (if it is soon).

<3<3 hugs <3 <3

Lisa

The Trigeminal Nerves (CN 5 - Left and Right) go all the way back to the Pons near the top of the brain stem.  Brain stem lesions, depending where they lie, can effect both the left and right trigeminal nerves.  I have pain on both sides and, by the way, I have no visible infratentorial lesions, but my doctor believes that they are there.  

So yep...you can get pain on both sides.  My right is where it started and has always been worse than the left.

Bob
Thank god for Tegretol eh??

I feel for you -- it is a pain you do not forget.

Kathy , Lisa and Bob,
Thanks for your responses! And thanks Kathy for liking my name LOL,
Thank God it happened just twice today, The rest of the day I didn't have it. My neuro. never dx'd me with TN, but this is not the first time that I had pain in my face. I don't feel it in my teeth at all, so far so good in the teeth dept. Ha ha.

Both times that the pain lasted for a longer period of time, it struck deep in the ear and side of my face, a couple of times I had a stabbing eye pain recently, but I just attribute that to my surgery. Who the heck knows.... Will I ever know or just put up with it.

You guys are all the best thanks for taking the time to help me.
Pam
One more question........ My doc. wants my neuro to look into my thyroid disease alittle deeper, because of all of my complications and torture I have been through. But... Could Thyroid disease cause TN pain if your thyroid is still out of whack??

Just wondering........
Hi Pam,

I am sorry you are having this pain.  One thought...since it is also in your ear, have you had your PCP (or other doc) check you for an ear infection?

I don't know anything related to thyroid disease and TN. Good question to ask the neuro.

I do hope it is not TN.  That is my worst MS symptom and I wouldnt wish it on anybody.  I have suffered with this for about 8 years or so, but it progressed to extremely frequent and debilitating.  I am finally more under control after nerve blocks every 3 months. I have/had tried NUMEROUS meds for this.

Anyway, I am wishing you well, and would love to hear it "may" be something simple like an infection. Hoping anyway...

Michelle
Forgot to answer another question you had.  For me, it is about 97% on my right side of head.  I have had it on the left, but no where near the intensity or length as my right side.
Thanks, and unfortunately, no ear infection. I was at my doctors office earlier in the day having my annual physical, and all was good in the ear dept, up until I got home later on. I was just getting ready to turn the shower on for my son and as soon as I turned around to go back out of the door, my face and ear had an intense pain..
I grabbed my face and screamed, (well not screamed) but was like, OWWW!! My son kinda got alittle scared and said, "Mom, are you ok?" and then it stopped. I told him that I was fine, but I walked down my stairs and it struck again.
For the rest of the night, it would come and go. I went to bed and slept like a baby. Next day, woke up, had the pain twice and then that was it. No pain so far today.

So sorry that you have this pain. I hope It doesn't get worse for me, but from what I hear, it can.
I will definately ask my endo. and neuro about this. I guess we'll see.

Hope you have a wonderful day,
Pam
Having the stabbing pains in the ear and head...Stuffy nose....Left side....Comes and goes...Wondering if this is related to allergies.....What a bummer.....What should I take? Should I see my allergist....thx Phyllis