Multiple Sclerosis Community
Uncontrollable leg movements

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Uncontrollable leg movements

I do have MS, and have been under a lot of stress. Yesterday, was the worst of small other events of my leg bouncing uncontrollably and then my arm also started twitching, I kept trying to stop it and it just kept going even when I tried to holding it down.
This went on for 20 mins. &  then stopped and started again for another 20 mins. and then again. I called my neuro's office; they have left me a reply that they cannot give me anything that will not make me drowsy.   I take Imipramine, which seems to help with my leg movements and twitching in the night.  But what am I supposed to do during the day when this occurs at work?
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Well, that's tough.  It sounds like this is a new symptom, right?  You might be going into a flare...  At any rate, I don't take anything for my uncontrollable twitches, as they're not bad enough.  
These sound like muscle spasms.  Have you ever tried Baclofen?  It has to be started at a low dose and titrated up slowly to find the lowest effective dose for you.  It could make you a little drowsy to start out but your body should adjust if you take it slow.

Mary
I get uncontrollable leg and arm movements at times, when I'm get fatigue or at times of stress it will flair up more.  It's not all the time or everyday.  I will have weeks where it's not bad...then something can start it up and it can last for a few weeks or so.

I don't take any meds for it yet as it's just starting for me.. and I take so many meds I think right now and don't want to add more unless I have too.

I try to do things that will hold my arms still like holding my hands together or sitting on one of my hands.. cross my legs if it's my legs...that doesn't always help though.

take care
wobbly
Thanks, so much for listening and your advice. I think I am going to have to learn to live with this disease, as gracefully as possible, just like turning older.
I wigged out in the hospital when visiting my father -in-law, whom was just diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I think it was too close to home for me. As I sometimes have issues with finding the right word plus I get spacey.  
I’ll talk to my doctor about the Baclofen.
I wonder if some kind of meditation would help?
Meditation could be really helpful in limiting the effects of the stress you are experiencing in your life.  It may even help if any of this leg bouncing is from anxiety.  

If you're having spasms - probably not so much.  Then again, I've never known good meditation to hurt anything.

Mary
This is almost surely Restless Limb Syndrome which is the same as the typical RLS, but RLS is misnamed because all the limbs can be involved.

I agree with Mary that anything that helps you relax might be of value.  Certainly cutting out the stimulants, like caffeine, can help if they are playing a role.  Your neuro might consider a very low dose of Valium (1 or 2 mg).  The sedating effects wear off after a few days.

RLS (Limb) is far more common in MS than in the general population.

I get this only on the right side.  I do take sedating meds for it, and while the meds are taking effect I walk around and swing my arm around.  This causes great consternation in my cats.

This is a definite movement disorder.  My favorite site for reading about movement disorders (many of which are seen in MS) is

wemove.org.

Quix