Multiple Sclerosis Community
VEP test

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

VEP test

On Friday, I had a visual evoked potential test.  When I was looking at the chequerboard i felt all wierd and my eyesight was swimming all over the place.  Is this normal?  I get the results in two weeks, then off to see the neurologist in July.

Nickie
I've never done the VEP test, but I have problems with flickering light and contrasting light and dark patterns.  It makes me feel very weird and uneasy - hard to describe.

I think damage to the optic nerve will cause this - it's something known as Pulfrich's effect.  Basically one nerve is transmitting faster than the other one, so your brain is receiving signals that aren't synced up.
I had problems looking at the checkerboard as well.  Not sure if it's normal or not though.  Best wishes to you.  HOpe you get answers.

deborah0904

I have not had EP done yet.  I am hoping to soon.  I am sure there are ones in this forum that can answer your question, as there is a wealth of info in these four walls.  ;0)

I hope you get your answers!

Addi
I had VEP's done in April and I found it very uncomfortable and made me feel disorientated and a bit like I was watching something in 3D. My result was abnormal and I was told that I have scarrring on my optical nerve but that was all that I found out.

Good luck with result, but what will be will be and my neuro said that it was really used to help confirm diagnosis of MS rather than anything to worry about as I have not had any unusual visual problems (so far).

Sarah

I've had a few of them done, I didn't find it difficult to watch?  My results were normal on the VEP..

let us know how things go
wobbly
dx
The test wasn't bad but I wouldn't have wanted to look at it all day though.  The pattern does change during the test so some of the movement was real.  Otherwise it did the same thing to me as some striped shirts do.  I stopped ironing striped shirts when I thought I would puke on them.  (yuck)

My test was abnormal in one eye only.  I think what saved me a lot of discomfort was sharing at that stationary dot in the center with total concentration.

Mary
Thank you for your comments.  I will get the results, I hope, on the 29th.

Doctor recommended the test because I see different shades of colour from each eye, only mildly.  I always thought it was normal, well you do don't you, you just think everyone does until you tell someone and they look at you funny !!! And then they tell you that they don't.

I had a VEP test done about 8 years ago and I don't remember having these sensations then.

I will let you know when I get the results.

Thanks again,

Nickie

Got my results from the VEP back yesterday.  All clear.  They cannot understand why I'm seeing different shades of colour out of each eye.  The doctor did write "? ? O N" on my notes and I've got to go back in three months' time.  Seeing the neurologist on 20th of this month, which probably won't give me any answers either.

Nickie