Multiple Sclerosis Community
VIBRATING BUZZING HEAD

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

VIBRATING BUZZING HEAD

Hi All,
Does anyone here ever get a vibrating, shaking buzzing feel in their head.  It started a  couple of days ago, and last nite, it was so bad it actually traveled down the side of my neck down my arm and hand.  I have gotten those internal tremors in my left shoulder arm hand, and left leg.  This is a little bit different, I don't know if it just feels different cause it's in the heard area, but it was more of a vibrating instead of buzzing, or like a mild shaking.  It kept me up, it didn't hurt, but it was uncomfortable, and like I said it went all the way from my entire head, down to my hand.  It's happened a couple of times.  It's unnerving to say the least.  It also seemed to affect my chin and lips.  It also feels almost like the muscles around my skull are spasming or tight.   Anybody?  What is this like my 6th post within 2 weeks!  I'm falling apart!  But, I know I'm not alone!    That's why we're all here right!  At least we have us!  Sandie
I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but I get head tremors where my head rocks back and forth like I'm saying "yes" all of the time.  I do have internal tremors when I'm tired.  I will feel vibrating in a leg sometimes--just like a cell phone was vibrating on my leg.  It sounds like you may be having an attack.  Hopefully you can get your doc to take you seriously.  
I have complained many times of the amount of sx I get in my head as well as my body and this is a companion whenever I am tired. I used to call it 'brain shake' until I was dx. It has now developed from feeling as though it is a mild tremor to often feeling like a rocking sensattion but inside my head, every time I am tired which is most days currently:)

Don't know if this helps as descriptions are so subjective which is why MS is so difficult to dx, but I know it helps me when I know I am not going mad or imagining it as others have had similar.

Be well
Pat
Yes, I get the vibrating, buzzing and swooshing right between my ears. It is especially noticeable at night when all is still and quiet, can't stand it. My primary just looks at me when I tell her as if this further confirms my need for a psychiatrist - needless to say I am on the search for a new doc.
I also get the vibrating in the bottom of my left foot - I was joking with my hubby the other night that he must have hid his pager in the bottom of my slippers again.
I used to before I was ever diagnosed.  It has been about 10 or more years since I've experienced it though.
Hey there,

Happy New Year! Yes, I've had this too ... almost daily. I get it more when I'm tired. For me, it's almost like something misfires in there and then the vibration just settles in. It's annoying and throws me off balance a bit ... it used to scare me before I was diagnosed. I always thought it might be something like heart related or whatever, but my tests for heart stuff always come back good except cholesterol.

I hope everything goes okay for you ... hang in there!
This is sooooooo common.  Even on the neurology forum where people have all sorts of diagnoses, it is common.  When I first started here there was a huge thread entitled
"I feel like I am vibrating!"  They stopped it after 99 posts - before they changed the programming to allow more.

My L'Hermitte's is a jelly-like, vibrational feeling in my left thigh.  I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have that feeling in your head.

Quix
Thanks for all of your imput everyone!  Yeah, I have been having these sx the buzzing under the foot is all the time,  The muscle spasms, the jumping muscles, etc etc, yadda yadda yadda,.  THEN, comes the vibrating head!  You know seriously. I feel like an energy source right now.   I feel like you can just plug me in, and I'm off.  But it's wierd, it's mostly, except for the vibrating head, it mostly seems to be on my left side.  Except the ON, that was both sides, I know there is another word, but my buzzing head must have threw it out.  Seriously, seriously, what is next.

Can someone tell me what sx to expect next.  What do you guys think my neuro is gonna say about all these sx?  The vertigo eases up but never goes completely away, and then comes back with a vengeance.  Can we talk!    Thanks everyone lots for your reponses, and patience with all of my posts.  I know it's been one thing after another, but I couldn't let the vibrating head thing go, I was up most of the night because of it.    Sandie
Weird...I get the vibrations at least 5 times a day in my whole body except my head. I was trying to explain it to my husband and the only way I could explain it was it feeling like one of those joke buzzers (you know, the handshake ones) going off on my entire body.
I have read all your comments with interest.  I have recently had vibrating sensation in my head then my hands go weak and after a few seconds it passes and i am left with a sore head.  It is very frightening and i do not know what it is.  I remember suffering the same symptoms about ten yeas ago.  Anybody got any fresh ideas as to what this could be
Gilly
I have had many experience with that vibration in the head. It is a very intense and confusing moment. It's almost as though you can hear it while it's happening. I have not had it diagnosed as of yet.
Wow, I thought I was the only one to get this! I was a Commercial Pilot until I got vertigo 3 years ago, it's mostly gone now but if I hear a loud bang or sharp noise it vibrates through my whole body but I don't know why. All heart tests are good and blood pressure is 120/80, and I'm 60 years old. I try not to panic, as no one has a clue what it is.
Magnesium has helped people with vertigo.

I used to get buzzing and beeping noises in my head, but they have been gone for years since my nutrition improved.

One possibility:

"Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations."

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
(Online article)
I get intense vibrations localized in my head that lasts for 2-5 seconds.  When they occur I don't loose my vision, but it stops me in my tracks if I'm walking.  Thank goodness they don't occur that often (once per quarter).  I would compare it to grabing a live electrical cord and getting shocked, if you've ever had that happen to you. This went on for about 4 years and I casually mentioned it to my doctor at an annual physical.  After an interesting look, he referred me to a neurologist who ordered an MRI and MRA of the brain.  The scan didn't reveal anything.  The final diagnosis: Migrane (migraine) related. I get migranes (migraines) maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but never at the same time as the vibrations in my head, so i never thought to link them.  At any rate, I still get the vibration sensations quarterly and the migranes (migraines) about the same, but at least I know it's not anything really serious. Good Luck!
I am a fellow Virbonaut!  I get the vibrations all over my body. They are also accompanied by twitching muscles. It's been months. All tests came back normal.You can see the muscles twitch in my eye, leg, thigh. Then when I wake up at times startled, my whole body vibrates. Does anyone out there have a diagnosis? my husband confessed to feeling his phone vibrate in his pocket. When he looked down he realized his cell was on the table. Misery loves company huh? I am now on ativan to sleep at night. I am getting used to the vibrations and trying to see them as benign instead of scary.any suggestions?
I like you have these vibrations.   I have been to countless doc,tubes in the ears, ct scan, mris, and they look at me puzzled.   No one can feel the vibrations.  It feels like my body is idling or the sensation at the end of a stretch- that quiver -   The near thinks could be migraines without the pain.  The complicate thing I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well...it all started with an inner ear infection-  any ideas? It wakes me up from a asleep and they sY it is anxiety.   Yeh from the vibrating....what the heck!    Any dx that are different then mine and when so these thongs go away.   Was thinking perimenopAuse, but the guys have me questioning that....is is early sign a of ms?

So good to know I am not the only one! I get the buzzy head along with double  vision and tingling in my tongue and mouth. Its crazy annoying and normally ends with a super great migraine headache. It feels like I have my cell on vibrate and left it under my pillow, it's lots worse when I lay down.

I have also had 2-3 onsets of optic neuritis and lost a bunch of vision and color vision in my right eye. I have a funky optic nerve. My vision went from 20/15 in both eyes to 20/50 in the right and 20/30 in the left. (20/20 is considered normal and 20/15 awesome) At first I was waaay angry about the whole thing, and ironic enough I used to work for a bunch of ophthalmologists. I also have the wonderful lack of coordination and depth perception that comes with MS. I have taken some bumpy rides down the stairs, and tried to cut off my fingers while cutting a lemon. I also find that multi tasking while walking is dangerous and has caused me to run into low hanging objects that I can no longer see due to the lack of side vision. Not to mention damaging my pride! =p

I am doing well now and have a better grip on the vision loss. I still drive during the day.  I have a great IT job now that is less physically demanding on my body. I knit and make jewelry, it's great physical therapy for me. I think being stubborn and having a sense of humor has been my biggest defense from the dark side of MS.

I am so glad that I found you guys and thanks for posting!

BB (aka Evil Knievel of the stairs and knives thrower)

The buzzy head could be Occipital Neuralgia which involves a nerve that exits the C-spine at C2.  Cervical lesions can effect these spinal nerves (greater and lesser occipital nerves.)  MS is not considered a disease of the spinal nerves since these are outside the CNS.  The most common reason for Occipital Neuralgia is "Post Traumatic Neck Injury."   So lots of folks have Occipital Neuralgia, but not other MS symptoms.  Disk injuries at the C2 space also case Occipital Neualgia.

The key to treating Occipital Neuralgia is determining the cause.  In MS patients it may be a cervical lesion.  In the absence of a lesion, it may be a mechanical issue at the C2 space and a typical radiculopathy.  Treatment might be a "C collar", cervical traction, Anti-seizure Medications or an occipital block.

I guess what I'm trying to get across here is the Occipital Neuralgia is really a form of headache and can have many causes not related to MS.  It has been said several times:  You can not blame everything on MS.  Even in folks with MS, Occipital Neuralgia can be an unrelated problem from an old whiplash injury.

Bob

Optic Neuritis effects Cranial Nerve 2 and this is one pair of the two "Cerebral Cranial Nervers" (CN1 and CN2.)  The remaining cranial nerves do not terminate in the Cerebrum.
Another common cause of head/facial pain is Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN)  and is caused by a irritation of Cranial Nerve 5.  TN is typically achy or painful.  I have had no experience with my TN causing "buzzing."

Hi!! I thought we all did this.     i take mysolene   - it usually controls it. sometimes just my head   but usually my whole body.    hugs!  tick
Great info.  How do I get tested for these?   Would a ct scan or MRI of brain show any of these things that r not ms?   I have had a soft tissue of the neck ct would that show it?  Would a regular x- ray to spine show any of that?   Just looking for answers...sleep disturbance is pretty bad in the evenings and middle of night.   Would nerotin (sp) be helpful for the idling?   Any ides?  Right now they have me on small dose of Xanax,  but it seems after 5-6 hours it starts to return.   Somtime even after 2 hours of meds.  Doc said the med is an anti convulsant too.  Just need some answers....
TN and Occipital Neuralgia are diagnosed by the symptoms and the clinical exam.  If Occipital Neuralgia is suspected, they may do an MRI of the neck to visualize the C2 space.
CT is not really the best technology to visualize the neck and the possibility that a disc in impinging on the thecal sac.  MRI is the modality of choice for this.

As far as treatment, Neurontin might work.  The anti-seizure drugs like Tegretol might also work.  Some doctors might also use an Occipital Block with a mixture of lidocaine and a steroid.  

Bob
Thanks so much not sure why they aren't doing an MRI of the neck....maybe my next question.   Last night the tingling really increased along with pins and needles while vibrating.  Ugh.  Thanks so much for the info!  I'll keep posted...
anxiety attacks maybe??? i feel very nausea and a shaking sensation in my head and go down to my left arm and the sensation of myself rocking;;;im going t0 start taking antidepressant to see if it helps
Had an MRI of my brain and this is what it said....

There is some prominence to the parietal sulci in the high convexity region bilaterally with prominent extraexail cerebral spinal fluid.  The finding most likely result of mild atrophy.  

Does anyone know what that means?   Doctor said my MRI was normal...

Hi, Jill-

There is a link named "Post a Question" at the very top of this page...it is a little left of center.  If you copy and past your post there you will get much better of a response.  You have replied on a post that is not related to your question.  :(

I cannot help you with your question, but if you do as I requested above, I am sure others will reply with some help.  

Also, if you are comfortable doing so, please tell us a little about yourself and what has been going on with you.  I apologize if you have already done so and I missed it.  I also welcome you to our forum.

Addi
I am a 35 year old women, I have been suffering from buzzing, vibrations for 6 months now. After 3 doctors have been told I have TN and possibly MS. I have 2 lesions on the brain but none  on my spine. I just had a discestomy on my lower back. I have been inside for 4 days and have had no attacks. When i went outside it all strated up again, the buzzing, metal taste and sharp pain in my jaw and behind my eye. Does any one else notice being outside makes it worse. Thanks
I have been experiencing vibrating in my head quite a bit lately. I currently take 100 mg of Propranolol a day for my essential tremors and I am also on Effexor for my depression that has started since I was diagnosed almost a year ago. The vibrating in my head is really scary, it throws me off balance and I feel as though I am going to pass out. It has been off and on almost continually for the past two days and it is really starting to scare me. I have had MRI's, PSTAT, and a lot of other neurological testing and it all seems to come back fine. The only thing that my neurologist always tells me is to seek a psychologist. Do you have any suggestions??
Hi Tabby - Welcome to the group.

This thread is a little old. It was last updayed over 3 years go and many of the paricipants no longer visit.

As to suggestions, I have one. Find a new neurologist. I find docs that say it's all in your mind infuriating :-)

Kyle
Thanks for your suggestion. I don't want to go back to my neurologist for this problem because it seems that he has never taken me seriously. Everything is a joke to him. I have a neurologist lined up in the East Valley that I am going to see in a couple of months once I start getting a steady paycheck rolling in. I hope they can figure something out because I am really tired of living with all of these weird things that keep happening without having answers.
My head shakes so violently. It's like someone is holding my brain and shaking it the way a paint stirrer shakes a can of paint. This goes on all day, every day.  Of course, you can't see it because it's inside. It's like my brain wiring is wrecked. The only relief I get is when I'm sleeping. It makes it so difficult for me to walk because it has such a profound effect on my sense of balance. And the shaking generates pressure that builds throughout the day. By evening I'm a total wreck. Does anybody suffer like this all day long? Doctors say it might be my MS but they don't really know for sure. Does anybody suffer like this all day long?