Multiple Sclerosis Community
Vision Changes

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Vision Changes

I noticed a sudden change in my vision about 3 weeks ago and saw the Opthamologist today. Thankfully the exam went well, other than a slight change in my prescription the Dr. did not detect any problems. My question is this, would the Dr. always detect optic neuritis during a routine eye exam (he did say the optic nerve looks good)? The reason I ask is that I have been experiencing many symptoms over the past several months that point to MS (numbness and tingleing/pain in sevearl areas of the left side of my body). The sudden vision change threw me for a loop,and though I am thankful my exam went well, I was wondering if this still could possibly be ON?
I am scheduled to see a Neurologist next week - wow those appointments are hard to get, I had to wait like 6 weeks.
Hi, again.  Mainly I want to answer your question about whether the Ophthalmologist would always see evidence of optic neuritis.  The answer is a definite no, at least not on examing the optic nerve.  In 50% or more of cases the optic nerve looks normal in the presence of confirmed optic neuritis.  This is because the demyelinating lesion is too far back on the optic nerve to show signs at the eye itself.

The classic signs of optic neuritis are pain in/behind the eye, pain with movement of the eye, color desaturation in the affected eye, and sometimes aberations of light and vision.  Most often there are shadows in one of the visual fields.  Change in prescription/acuity are not typical signs.

I'm glad you have an appointment with a neurologist coming up.  Make sure you tell him about this and about the results of the Ophtho visit.  And tell us how it goes!

Good luck,

Quix
Thank you Quix! :)
Quix has answered your question, but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your neuro appt.  Hope you get some answers soon.

Take care,
doni
Thanks doni. :)