Multiple Sclerosis Community
Visual Cuts
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Visual Cuts

Have any of you heard of 'Vision/Visual Cuts'?  My Occupational Therapist was here to bring me the hand controls for my car.  She started a conversation about my driving where I explained exactly what is happening.  The fact that angry drivers seem to come out of nowhere and either yell, flip me off or try to 'give me a lesson' by purposely driving towards me.  These things happen and I truly truly don't know why.  They come from nowhere.  I have run red lights 4 or more times and driven into the intersections.  Then the 'can't feel the pedal' thing.  I don't drive anymore.

She suggested that I get the eye thing covered before driving.

She thinks I may have 'visual cuts' in my eyes where I have areas of blindness.  She suggested that my PCP refer me to a neuro-ophthalmologist

Do any of you know what that is or have you heard about it?  I googled it but kept coming up with optic neuritis.

Any thoughts?    Thanks guys

Red

Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1221035_tn?1301004108
A visual field cut is technically called hemianopsia.

Did your OT give you any exercises? You can read here for information and eye exercises.

Read more: Eye Exercises for a Visual Field Cut | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5365124_eye-exercises-visual-field-cut.html#ixzz169VUb85h

http://www.rancho.org/ot0033.pdf

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/PatientEd/Materials/PDFDocs/dis-cond/braininury/visual-perceptual.pdf

Blank
1312898_tn?1314571733
WOW Thanks
Blank
1394601_tn?1328035908
Red, was she qualified to install the hand controls?
Blank
338416_tn?1260996698
You know, I don't drive any more because I feel like I'm not making the right decisions.  If I felt more confident about my cognitive abilities, I would go ahead and get some hand controls - I have the same problem with my right foot.
Blank
1312898_tn?1314571733
She didn't put the controls on--she just brought them over.  We had the conversation about driving becuase we weren't sure hand controls were going to help.  Time will tell

Red
Blank
645390_tn?1338558977
Hi Red,

The only person that can check your visual fields is an Ophthalmologist.  You need a visual field test.  They do each eye separately and can see if and what kind of visual field defect you might have.

There are MANY reasons one might have a visual field defect. (Glaucoma, Dense cataracts, some neurological diseases, brain injuries, etc.  

A hemianopsia, is only 1 type of defect.  That is generally from a brain injury, tumor etc.  It is both eyes together that are affected.  There are no exercises that can "fix" this, however if it is a homonymous hemianopsia, you sometimes can you prisms to move objects that are on your side vision and place them more centrally.  That is confusing and a bit difficult to understand I know. (what homonymous hemianopsia is that both of your eyes are affected the exact same way.  For example, if you cant see the right side of your right eye, you will also be missing the right side of your left eye.)

There are lots and lots of different field defects.  I would highly recommend you see a neuro-ophthalmologist, or a general ophthalmologist for this.

Michelle
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank