Multiple Sclerosis Community
Visual Issues

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Visual Issues

Hello all...very curious about what everyones visual problems are. I know of the Optic Neuritis, Double Vision, and  nystagmus.

I have read up on them but the Optic Neuritis seems vague as far as possible symptoms.  Are there other issues not related to the above? and exactly what are they? I have some vision problems but not sure if they are connected to MS or not.

For instance I have had my eyes twitch up and down which I can visually see and it is very irritating but it is not all the time.

Also my peripheral vision is not very good and I am having a hard time seeing anything in dim light or the dark. I used to see great in the dark after turning a light out but that has gone really bad.

Also when looking at something it will get about 2 shades darker. I have to look away and back to re-adjust my eyes.

Anyhow thank you in advance.

Jen
Tags: visual, eyes, vision, ms
ON  is a Cranial Nerve 2 (CN 2 - a cerebral cranial nerve and can be an issue with the Optic Nerves, Optic Tracts, and/or the Optic Chiasm) issue.  Eye Movement is CN 3, CN 4 & CN 6 (cranial nerves from the pons.)  Problems with visual fields (peripheral vision) can be from ON, refractive errors, retinal issues, etc.  Same with loss of "night vision" (dim light.)  

You should consider seeing an Ophthalmologist or even better, a Neuro-Ophthalmologist  since eye issues can be difficult for neurologist that may have limited experience with neuro-ophthalmology.

Bob
Thank you Bob.

I did see a Ophthalmologist per my Neuro when they were looking into reasons for my pressure headaches and the vision issues. This was before the night vision thing. He said everything was ok. I think it may be time to see someone else.

What vision issues do you have?

Jen
I have had two bouts of ON with the 2-3 days of icepick pain behind my right eye.  Pain on lateral gaze.  Loss of the ability to detect changes in red color saturation.  Loss of contrast and brightness in my right eye vision.  

I also have pathological latency in my right optic nerve conduction velocity by VEP and decreased right optic nerve caliber.  I also have a possible loss of caliber in my left optic tract.

As a result I have vertical single eye diplopia in both eyes ((I still see a second ghost image even when one eye is covered,) which seems to indicate some level of damage to the left optic tract.

Bob
Thank you so much for that.

I too see ghost images. I also cannot look at something without keeping my left eye moving or everything will go black. Not sure what that is.

I appreciate your feedback.

Jen
dont want to hyjack your post!!  but bob is there anything they can do 4 us??  i too have all that- - you talk over my head!! lol- but  colors wash out-  fade-  and have looked at -like a blue color then look at trees-they have the blue on trees-just 4 a bit- but urgg!! black-looks like blue-not fun!!   you all have great day!!