Multiple Sclerosis Community
WEAKNESS IN ARM, MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

WEAKNESS IN ARM, MS?

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is feeling okay.  Question, I'm undx, and in limboland, I'm in more of a" could very well be MS, lets see", mode.  I've had some weakness in my hands, where it's hard to open things or really grip things, drop things etc etc.  My main problems are on my left side.  My question is, if you have weakness in your arm from MS, would the arm tend to kind of hang limp when standing?  Could this be from ms.  Every so often it feels like jello.  When I walk, that arm has no strength or something, cause it just kinda flops around on it's own as I am walking, and then when I come to a stop it's still moving, I have to make it stop.  Sometimes, it will knock into things if I'm not careful.  It feels like, if my arm was my leg, it would be dragging while I tried to walk.  Does this sound like MS.  I do also have the muscle spasms, tingling, pins and needles, numbness and nerve pain in the arm hand and shoulder area.  I have trouble using it to blowdry my hair, or anything that requires it's use for any length of time. I also get these tremors in the arm area, and hand, and internal tremors also, and in the shoulder area, and spasms in my neck on that side.    
So what do ya think?  I told my previous neuros, and they didn't seem interested in the upper part of my body only the bottom half, if there was weakness in my legs.  I think I've mentioned this briefly on other posts, but I'm getting alot of activity lately in that arm, and I do have another new neuro appt coming up.  Any advice on what to say?

Thanks Guys!   Sandie
Sandi,
They tap our elbows and test our hand strength because MS doesn't only appear in our legs.  If this continues to bother you I would definitely talk to the neuro and ask for their ideas.

be well,
Lulu
Sandie,

I have similar weakness to yours - but in my right arm and right leg.  They feel very heavy, weak, and tired at times.  My right leg has "gone out" on me numerous times resulting in bad falls.

I strongly suggest you LOSE your current lackluster and uncaring neurologists and get one who is interested in finding you the diagnosis you deserve.  Then I strongly suggest you have an EMG/nerve conduction study done (not just by any neurologist, but by someone SPECIALIZING in that type of diagnostic testing).  Make sure your left arm and hand are tested.  Your symptoms are significant and may be indicative of something other than MS.  Good luck!

WAF
Hi WAF,

Thanks for your advice.  I did have an ENG of lower and upper, and lower came back pinched nerve, but upper came back normal.  Those tests were done about a year ago though.  Are you dx with MS?  Sandie
I have had same problem with left arm and both hands during last relapse. No DX so far. All strength has now come back after about 4 months. Also weak legs especially left.  
Im a possible MS at this stage.

Keep pushing for answers.

Mistylee

It is nice to meet you. I am in limbo too and have had similair issues you all are describing. I usually post in the other forum but was reading through this forum and saw your post. Most of my symptoms were on my left side. These started in August 2009 -  Numbing and tingling in arm and leg with cramping in the bottom of foot, calf and upper inner thigh. I have also had weakness in arm and leg which is worse after a full day of chores, shopping, ect. I have trouble climbing stairs. I had an episode about 2 weeks back where my right thumb went absolutely numb for about 5 minutes, just the right thumb and then came back with feeling. I have also had cognitive issues with my memory and finding words or loosing my place in the middle of a sentence. Sometimes conversations get too confusing and overwhelming for me.

What is new for me is that the numbness and tingling is less frequent on left side but I have noticed the last 2 days now have issues in my right hand and forearm feels tight. I an having trouble opening my med bottle or moving my hand around..It feels like my numbness and tignling is moving into my right but is painful. My right leg is fine.  

My neuro discussed the possibility of this being MS but is ordering more tests and scans. Nothing has been ruled out or in as of yet

Take Care
JibJen
Hi Sandie, I posted on your other question.  Yes, with the other symptoms mentioned on other posts, like the ON and L'hermittes, it does sound like MS to me.  

What tests have you had besides the ENG?  When was the last MRI and did you an MRI of your spine as well? What about an LP?  
Hi Deb

I did have an mri, showed  1 lesion, but apparently it wasn't a common ms lesion, and it was in the gray matter instead of white.  They just called it a non-specific abnormality. I also had a cervical mri, I do have arthritis and spurs in my neck have had these for over 12 yrs though, I just started having these symptoms among others about 9 months ago.  They said they did not find any lesions on the cervical scan.  The  both scan were done without contrast, I believe the neuro didn't think I had MS, even though I have ON, and my sister has it.  So anyway she never ordered bloodwork of any kind either.  Then when I told her I was gonna go to another neuro, she says she wants to do an LP.  So off to another neuro, have an appointment in Feb.  I also have Lupus, and the last stupid neuro, who wouldn't listen to me, said this is possibly the Lupus.  I have had Lupus for over 7yrs, never had these symptoms.

So Deb, about the ON question, do you have residual problems even after the
Went to a new rheumy, said he thinks I may have been misdiagnosed, this may have been MS all along.  So I will be going for the bloodwork soon, it's tough cause I'm moving from my rental, into my permanent home on the 4th and I'm really busy.  It was nice though when I found the new neuro, and went to make the appt, the staff there was sooo nice, they wanted to see me immediately, but I had the new Rheumy appt, and all kinds of house stuff goin on so I made the appt for Jan 12, that's right around the corner, after what I've been through, that's nothing.  But it sounded like a caring staff, so I'm just gonna be positive, cause I get panic attacks very quickly, and very easily intimidated.  

So Deb, about the ON is this normal for the residual problems to occur even after the inflammation in under control.  Do you have a similar problem?  Sandie
Hi, when they exam you does your left arm have low, normal or too high reflexes?

One of the things that can happen in MS is that we lose the proper motions that keep us balanced.  When a normal person walks the arms swing actively, not just loosely.  This keeps us in balance with our stride.  We can have lesions that cause this to stop and the arm wopuld just swing freely.  You can use the arm, but it doesn't act right.  So, yes, this can happen.

The opposite can happen, especially with some spasticity.  You can end up with the arm being held stiffly in an abnormal position instead of swinging with the gait.

You are aware, aren't you, that gray matter lesions are very consistent with MS?  Typically they are less frequent than white matter lesions, but I have heard of people who presented with gray matter lesions only.  There is a HP that talks about this.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Lesions-Lesions-Lesions/show/762?cid=36

Any neuro that ignores upper extremity problems and only looks for lower extremity problems is DUMB!  You need to jump and light runnin' from these guys.

Yes, it is not uncommon for there to be residual problems after optic neuritis.  these may very slowly improve - or not.

quix
In my situation, the optic neuritis seemed to slowly improve after the doctor said that the optic disc looked like it was healed.  I had a lot of trouble with blurry and doubled vision even after it was supposedly healed.  Then one evening (vision was typically worse in the evening), I noticed that there was finally only one moon, one street lamp light, and one of each tail light.  I noticed that I could read print on the TV screen.  The only permament problem I've noticed is a small black spot in the lower left part in my vision.  

I sure hope you find a neuro that will listen to you.  I can't believe he didn't listen to you.  I had the symptom of not being able to hold a hair dryer (or write on a whiteboard), and I can tell you that upper extremity problems can be just as disabling as lower extremity problems.  Your neuro totally disregarding your symptoms is just plain idiotic.  

I'm happy to hear that you have a new neuro.  Jan. 12th isn't that long away!