Weakness in Hip(s)
Hi.  Since I have a lot of bilateral hip flexor weakness & weakness in my other muscles of my hips, I was wondering how prevelant it is with people with a diagnosis of MS.  I've been going to physical therapy for 5 months for this & other things, but the PT doesn't seem to make it better/stronger (so far).  

This is my 1st poll, so I hope I ask all the questions that might apply....

Thanks in advance for participating!
Kelly  :-)

3
1. I never have weakness in the hip(s)

0
2. I have had weakness, but only during a relapse

8
3. I only have weakness sporadically in my hip(s)

6
4. I have weakness all the time in the hip(s)

1
5. I don't know if I have weakness in my hip(s)
I said sporatically, but the past couple of months it is more and more so not sure if it will turn into all the time in the near future. Only time will tell. My legs are getting weaker and weaker so not sure.
I start PT again on Monday. We'll see how it goes.
I said always, but it's probably because I have constant spasms in my hips...24/7.  The spasms started out sporadically but became constant about 2 months ago.  Boooooo!!!!

My PT didn't work for this either.  I am just encouraged to keep stretching everyday, which I try to do.  I was also told to get one of those large exercise balls and do various exercises on that.  Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.  Hopefully you find something.
Hip flexor weakness and abnormal gait diagnosed by an ortho lead me to PT where  eventually, through the channels, I received my MS diagnosis. My Hip pain was not Sjorgen's disease as was being treated but MS.

Ren
For the ones who do have weakness, now I wonder if it just slowly started or if it is the remnants of a relapse?  Mine just started - but of course I don't have relapses (well, at least none that stand out to me).

I have a lot of problems going up stairs (I've been told by my PT that I tend to want to swing my leg out when going up, instead of lifting my leg straight up), walking up hills, and other things - like I can't bring my foot up to put my ankle across the top of my other leg, like I'm crossing it, because my hips and other muscles are too weak.

Thanks,
Kelly
I have hip issues but they are not muscular. I have arthritis in both hips, or more accurately my right hip. My left hip has been replaced with a new shiny, arthritis free, cobalt chromium one :-). I don't know if the arthritis is MS related, but I doubt it.

Kyle
I had attributed mine to my foot drop because the neuro said I swing my leg out, causing hip flexor in some way.  Am sure he will address it in the fall as I have kept his log and will for the summer.  Hope this helps
My hip flexor weakness is only on the left side.

Tammy
For my weakness, I think it just started.  One day I was pretty much okay then the next, a little more weak, then a little more, etc etc.  Like you too, I don't have any distinct relapses.  One day I'll be my "norm" and then the next I'll have something else hit me.  It seems, usually, that when something new hits it doesn't go away either.

I have days where I can't lift my leg to climb even one stair.  I grab my pants and kinda lift it up.  I shouldn't say I can't lift my leg at all, I just can't lift it very high at all.  It's a good think I live in a ranch style home.  I only have to climb the 2 stairs leading up to the house, lol.

Do you have foot drop too?  I have that also.  My hip weakness is WAY worse on the right side, my bad side.  But again, my weakness may be due to the constant spasms in my hips.

All the time for me!
I do have foot drop every now and then on my right side and the PT tells me that my right ankle/muscle is weak.  And I do have CONSTANT spasticity - even with the 80mg of Baclofen.  My spasticity is mainly in my hamstrings, pelvic floor, lower back, and I guess in my hips, too.  

Kyle, you're awfully young to already have a hip replacement. I feel for you.  

Thanks everyone for your comments and for voting.  This helps me a lot. Previously, they had been wondering if I might have polymyositis because I have such bad weakness around my pelvic girdle area.  Although, it looks like other MSers also have this same problem.

-Kelly