Multiple Sclerosis Community
Well, I got some answers today at the Neuro's

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I went for my 6mo follow up with the neuro today and he told me the reason he thinks my MRI's don't show any lesions is because my ______ something is the problem. He said it's almost impossible to get a good picture of that area even with the best MRI's. He said my voice tremor is from that area so that only makes sense. QUIZ>>> What area is your voice controlled by? I think he said cortex? So... looks like MS is a sure thing but I"m doing pretty well considering. The stupid muscle spasms could let up though LOL! But I guess its more of a mild thing since my main brain isn't affected. He said even with great imagery, they still can't get a good pic of "this area" and all my symptoms are classic for that area. He was showing me kinda where the cerebellum is but that controls voluntary muscle movement and balance. Where is your Vagus Nerve from? THat is your voice nerve I think..... QUIX!! Help :)

cz
Effects of vagus nerve lesions

The patient complains of hoarse voice, difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia) and choking when drinking fluid. There is also loss of gag reflex.

This was from Wikipedia.  It also appears the nerve does a lot more.  Check out wikipedia.

This is from Biology Online
Vagus nerve

vagus nerve

(Science: anatomy, nerve) The vagus nerve enervates the gut (gastrointestinal tract), heart and larynx.

lesions of the tenth nerve usually result in a horse voice, but may also cause difficulty in swallowing or talking.

Synonym: cranial nerve X. A mixed nerve that supplies the pharynx and larynx and lungs and heart and esophagus and stomach and most of the abdominal viscera.One of the cranial nerves in vertebrates found at the floor of the brain that controls many of the parameters involved in the parasympathetic nervous system. The lungs and vocal chords are also the responsibility of the vagus nerve when regarding the nerv.

Hope that helps
terry
Wow Terry!

I knew the Vagus nerve had something to do with voice but forgot what. I wish I could remember what part of the brain the Dr was referring to. All I do remember is it was towards the base but oh well. the point is I have MS. Great now lets move onto life right!
Hey - Nice to see you.  I do understand why you would question the dx w/out the lesion load.  Totally understandable to question it as you do.  Hopefully he understands too.

Tell me girl, what do you mean when you say the Dr. thinks they are not showing because of the _(blank)_something is the problem? Are you forgetting what word he said?  I understand the forgetting part, I do it all the time, but wondering what you thought he meant.

Saveone did a good job w/the crainial nerves, and Dr. Quix did a good write up on those too in the past.  I'm going to poke around and see if I can find it for you...

How's your meds going?

ttys,
shell
I forgot what part of the brain he was talking about.  he didnt say it was the Vagus nerve area but I remembered one of them had to do with voice control but in my case it's not the vagus nerve itself it's some "core" area that is affected. He said it's good in the fact that my cognitive abilities are fine and will likely stay that way for quite some time. He just stated to me not to worry about looking for other explanations for my symptoms because he's 100% confident it's MS and he doesn't make that dx easily. So, "if you need anything you just let me know." is what he said. He was referring to bladder meds or what ever. My voice problem is so frustrating but I shouldn't complain because at least I have a voice! I sound like a parkinsons patient but at least i can talk.

Ok, I'm off to do homework.
cz