Multiple Sclerosis Community
What does Vertigo Feel Like?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What does Vertigo Feel Like?

I have been having what I call "motion sickness" problems. It comes on very suddenly, the first time was in the back seat of my mom's car on a trip to a nature center. Makes sense I was in the back of a vehicle and once the car stopped the ground eventually stopped moving.

Then it happened while I was driving, which I found a little bit more odd. As I was recently discussing this with someone they asked if I had taken my eyes off the road, even for just a second - which I had to change the radio station. Again when the vehicle stopped the feeling of motion lasted for quite awhile and I just had to sit because if not I was walking a little of kilter if you know what I mean.

It has also happened while swinging with my son at the park, while on the merry go round at a different park and just for no good reason when I am getting up from squatting down come to think of it . I do have something funky going on with my ear, it's almost like it needs to pop and there is slight hearing loss in it at the moment. I am awaiting my neurologist appointment in two weeks to discuss this further with her.

So I am wondering if this sounds like vertigo or inner ear problems? Balance issues - going crazy? Come on give it a go? Just curious if I am going to have issues going on my boat this year and whether Dramamine is going to help or if I am land locked?
I had vertigo last month.Here is what it felt like for me:

*my eyes felt a bit sore/strained (on exam my neuro saw downward nystigmus in both eyes)

*No matter how I was positioned, I felt as if I was being pulled to the side. Like I was riding on a very slow tilt-a-whirl ride.

*If I walked, I would take about 3 steps then start to veer towards the left. I could correct myself, but then 3 steps later I was veering again.

*If I stood straight upright, arms straight out in front of me and closed my eyes, I would start to drift/fall backwards.

For me, it was not a come and go feeling. I had the vertigo start in the morning when I woke up, get progressively more "spinning feeling" through the day, and I actually started IV steroids that evening. It took about 3 to 4 days for the spinning to stop.

My thought is: can you get in to see your regular doctor to get your ear checked? I hope this is temporary and you can spend lots of time on your boat this year!

Let us know how it goes!
~Jess
there are different feelings of vertigo from feeling dizzy and loss of balance, to actually passing out. If this keeps happening to you, get to your PCP and see if he or she could help if not, get referred to a local neurologist.

good luck!
They are right, vertigo is a bit different for everyone.  The first thing people told me when I started having symptoms exactly like yours is that I have ear wax build up.  Hey it is a hope.  It was not the answer in my case, but get it checked just in case you can find a simple fix there.

I do not get dizzy often, more just disoriented and lose balance.  It is the motion sickness that gets me.  I used to live at Six Flags Magic Mountain as a kid.  Had a season pass and went at least once a week to ride the coasters.  All of a sudden when I was 18 I could not do it any more.   I started getting motion sickness even when I drove myself, and have not been able to ride a real roller coaster for 15 years.

I also get the ear issue.  It is like a plugged ear feeling, but no matter what I do it will not unplug.  It lasted 5 months last year.  I was supposed to go to an ENT but of course the sx's stopped before my appt so I have not gone yet. I do know that ears are very related to vertigo issues.  

I have not been dx'd with vertigo I don't think, but my list of sx's is so long that I just keep forgetting to add that one when I go to the neuro.  We are still working on figuring out why my list is getting so long so fast so I guess the vertigo is on the back burner.

I do hope you find relief and by all means try to get a cancelation appt with your neuro to go sooner or call your PCP if you are bothered by this.  Last thing you want is to fall and hurt yourself.

Take care
D
Hi there.. when I get Vertigo it can hit me like a ton of bricks.  Out of the blue I will feel like I'm going to fall if I move my head at all.  If I'm standing, I have to sit, lay down right away or I will fall.  Mine lasts about 10 mins..it varies.I get nauseated and sometimes ill . and then I'm very tired for a few hours and off balance.

I cannot move my head while it's happening as I feel like I will fall over.  So I have to stay still.  I can talk and move my arms... I get this every few days lately, but sometimes it can happen for weeks at a time that I have it three times in a day.  

So when I get it once in a few days I can handle it.. I just have a very difficult time with the bad times.

take care
wobbly
dx
I have been diagnosed with "visual vertigo" which is when the balance centre in your brain is faulty so your eyes try to take on balance as well as vision, and due to that being too much for eyes to deal with, basically cannot cope.

Mine used to be only at malls or in supermarkets, or next to a busy road, where people and things are moving a lot or quickly. I would stand there feeling lightheaded and daft and have to hang on to walls to prevent falling over.

I was in the supermarket yesterday and was fine till I went down the "canned vegetables" aisle, which was narrow and crowded, then it hit. I have to take a deep breath and shut one eye! At worst, I avoid such places altogether.

Now it does it anywhere, anytime. I hate it. I look like a junkie or a drunk. It's also very scarey as I feel like I will pass out (as yet, I haven't)
Oh by the way, I had all the vestibular (ears) testing done to rule out an ear issue - it all came back normal so they said "neurological". Jury is out whether it is whacked out migraines or MS.
I have exactly the same issues you have in public.  I just made an opthamologist appt for next week.  My neuro called mine occular migraines, but visual vertigo makes much more sense.  Maybe they are the same thing??  The way you have explained it here will help me describe it to my Dr.  I feel like I get sensory overload as Alex put it once.

So YES ginosmommy, vertigo takes on Many, Many forms.

D
Hi Ginosmommy!  

It certainly sounds like vertigo to me - at least, it sounds a lot like the vertigo I've had!  Definitely with that feeling like the ground is moving, and the trouble walking straight.  Do you ever get the feeling that the ground is also uneven underneath your feet?

Ooh, I know when my PCP was checking me out after the vertigo started, he asked a lot about position changes, head movements, that kind of thing... he talked about ear crystals?  LOL, that sounds like some kind of jewelry, but I don't quite think that's what he meant!  Anyway, maybe that'd be something you might look into?  I don't know - whatever it is, I hope it gets better!  Especially the motion sickness part :(

I THINK taking meclizine (Bonine?) might've helped a little with the nausea, when the vertigo I had got pretty bad.  I'm not sure, but I do like meclizine, because at least it doesn't make me sleepy, like Dramamine.

Anyway, I am wishing you well! :)  Hugs -

Louey