What does it rule out if there are 7 band in the spinal fluid and zero in the serum
My neuro has ran many test and all negative except for one spot of transverse myelitis in the spine and 7 oligoclonal bands in the spinal fluid, but none in the serum. I am being checked for neuromyelitis optica. However, I have these ichy bumps on my head and I am certain I was exposed to a possible tick during an admission at a filthy home. My neuro told me the Lyme test was negative. Can there be a Lyme test false negative? Also my doctor is suggesting I begin treatment for MS if the NMO is negative. She says I have no lessions in my brain or any other in my spine, but some research shows that in some cases people with my result do get MS and if I do preventive treatment I can postpone the onset of the illness. FYI - Since August I have been dealing with numbness in my feet, legs, thighs, lower addomen and now up to under my breast line. In the last month I have numbness on half of my middle finger, my ring and pinky finger on both hands. At night I feel like a Boa is wrapping around my stomach and lower abdomen. The Charlie Horses in the legs have stopped and I can feel parts of my legs again. Any info is very much apreciated
RonnieG,

Sorry your post slipped to the 2nd page. Well, there should of been a bit of an interp w/that positive band test. Ask the doc for it if you can't get ahold of it.

If you know you've been bit by a tick and experience what you are experiencing, it is definitely in your best interest to follow up with an ID doc. I'm sure the neuro wouldn't mind at all. Also, it's a good thing the doc is furthering the testing for NMO. We have others on the forum more versed in that than I, so I'll give your post a good bump and hopefully they will see it...Doublevision one of our veteran members here comes to mind who may shed some light on it.

I'll also alert the lyme forum for input. It can't hurt to hear what they say about the banding. Thanks for joining us, and glad you are in with a neuro who seems to be looking in to all possibilities on your behalf :)
-shell
Hi, Ronnie,

From what I can glean, LP results can be the same in MS and NMO.  However, in MS, often the results with a follow-up LP can be the same, while in NMO, bands can disappear.  Of course, going through another LP can be daunting, depending on whether you had that dreaded LP headache or not. :O  NMO and MS are closely related, and it may take a while to differentiate the two.  Is your neuro proactive with starting a DMD while this differentiation is ongoing?  You might ask.

As far as Lyme's goes, the best test is through Igenex.