Multiple Sclerosis Community
What does juxtacortical lesion mean?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What does juxtacortical lesion mean?

I have a lesion in the high left parietal juxtacortical area.  Where in the brain is this?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
147426_tn?1317269232
Wow, you slid off the first page in just 12 hours!  I'm so sorry, but the forum is a flyin' these days.

The parietal area is on the two sides of the brain, up higher.  

Juxtacortical is describing the area between the gray matter (the cortex), and the white matter."   All areas of the brain have a juxtacortical region.  Juxta" tells us that the lesion actually spans the junction between the two regions.  This is an important finding because very few other diseases cause lesions in that area.  When an MRI shows juxtacortical lesions in a patient with signs and symptoms suggestive of MS, the lesion is a strong bit of evidence pointing toward MS.

Mostly we hear that lesions are subcortical.  This means that they are just "below" the cortical/white matter border, but not overlying it.  Things like hypertension, age-related lesions, and migraines tend to occur also in the subcortical region.

When juxtacortical lesions are small, if the image is not good and clear, such as one down on a lower power machine, the radiologist may mischaracterize them and call them subcortical by mistake.  The radiologist has to look very carefully.

I hope this helps.

Quix
Blank
Thank you, so much for this excellent explanation.  Too bad the Neuro didn't explain it.  
you are awesome!!!  Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Deborah
Blank
does high parietal indicate in the juxtacotical?
Blank
does high parietal indicate in the juxtacotical?
Blank
5112396_tn?1378021583
Hi Doctormike. I see you're new 'round these parts'. You've responded to a golden oldie (the thread is over four years old). A lot of these members (such as the wonderful Quix) are no longer active in this forum and won't likely see your question.  

Feel free to start a brand new thread and ask away. We're a friendly and pretty active bunch, so I'm sure you'll have people happy to chime in. Welcome to the community!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank