Multiple Sclerosis Community
What in the... involuntary abdomen clenching

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I've had this weird thing develop in the last couple of weeks.  When I wake up in the morning my abdomen muscles will be clenching rhythmically.  It feels like it's the entire group, but I haven't been alert enough to check it.

I've got some back pain too, so I have to assume it's related to the spine lesions.  Has anybody else had this happen, and if so, what did your neuro say it was?
Hey Jen been a long time.  I get these wierd pains in my abdomen that I have actually gone to the hospital 4 times for before I was dx'd. I was scanned for everything from cysts to kidney stones with no answers.  After I was dx'd my neuro said it was related to spine lesions.  
Last week I went to UCSF to see the specialist and he actually said that my pelvic/abdominal pain " predates my MS" and I should see a uroligist.  I went to my primary Dr two days later and he had a fit that the specialist said that to me.  He feels the pain is spasms.
I do hope this doesn't last long. It is agonizing.
Take it easy

D
Jen, I have no personal experience with this abdominal clenching ...  sorry I am of no help but perhaps someone else will see this and jump in.

be well, Lulu
I KIND OF HAVE THE SAME THING.  MY STOMACH MUSCLES WILL TIGHTEN UP...USUALLY FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME...THEN WHEN THEY FINALLY RELEASE I FEEL LIKE I DID LITERALLY 5000 SIT UPS.  AND IT HURTS FOR A DAY OR TWO.  IT IS SO ANNOYING.  SOMETIMES I GET THE TIGHTENING IN SHORT BURSTS, REMINDS ME OF ONE OF THOSE ELECTRODE BELTS THAT THEY USE TO HAVE (TO EXERCISE THE ABDOMINAL MUSCLES AND CREATE A 6 PACK...YEAH RIGHT!). BUT THAT'S WHAT IT REMINDS ME OFF.

I AM CLINICALLY DIAGNOSED WITH MS, BUT HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY FURTHER THAN THAT AND HAVEN'T STARTED ANY TREATMENTS FOR ANYTHING.  SO I'M NOT SURE IF IT IS CAUSED BY MS OR NOT.

GOOD LUCK.

VICTORIA DOUGLAS
Yup, exactly - like I have a Bruce Lee belt wrapped around my waist, and it keeps going zzt-zzt-zzt.  My stomach is tired and sore!
wow... that doesn't sound good.  Is it sim to the MS hug?  I hope you feel better soon
take care
wobbly
My MS hug is really a spasm of the intercostal muscles.  It's very painful.  This is a little different - it's just the muscles deciding to be tensed, like I'm doing a situp, and then it relaxes again.  I'm pretty sure it's the MS, though - I have a lesion at T10, which is right above the muscle group.
I had one of those hit me while driving the car to the neuro's office. My whole lower abdomen clamped down and once and stayed that way for about 20 minutes. I was panting like a woman in labor. In fact, it reminded me of having an induced labor, it was so strong. Then it slowly faded out and made a couple of short reappearances over the next week. Every now and then, only a portion of that same area will spasm, but not once has the entire section hit like that again. Good thing.
I don't get abdominal clenching that lasts, but I do get quick muscle tightness in my stomach that flutters just like a baby kicking.  It feels weird.  I kind of like it when it happens because there is this crazy part of me that still wants another baby (we have 3 and my husband has said "no way" and has had the snip-snip).  I think this is as close as I'll get to having that feeling again.  My husband has said that if we win the lottery, he'll have his operation reversed and we could have #4.  Now, if I could only remember to buy the tickets!  Ha!

Katie
I've gotten that fluttery tightness in my stomach as well!  

Today I've had stomach cramps that seem to be from the same thing... not fun.
The last two times I've had that sort of ab spasm I was pregnant, so that really confuses the issue and trust me, you don't want to show up to hospital pregnant with anything non-preg related, because the docs can't seem to see past your belly to do a proper diagnosis.

I spent hours attached to a monitor that was picking up the spasms and interpreting it as labour, which it most definitely wasn't. I felt bruised for days afterwards as the muscles slowly recovered.

I'd never actually considered this could be MS related, and just put it down to perhaps me overworking the muscles with housework or something??