Multiple Sclerosis Community
What is FLAIR signal hyperintensity

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What is FLAIR signal hyperintensity

After experiencing some minor numbness on my left side, I had 2 MRI on my head and brain.  The report I received says, in part:

"Several sulci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity within the white matter of both cerebral hemispheres"  "Primary diferential considerations include sequela of chronic small-vessel ischemic disease.  No evidence of acute infarction."

My Intenet searches have turned up a plethora of discussions of FLAIR hyperintensity in connection with conditions that range from Lyme disease to MS, but I haven't found a specific explanation of T2, FLAIR, or hyperintensity as they apply in this context.

Can you give me a fairly complete explanation of the terms and the significance of the phrase "sulci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity within the white matter" as well as any other insight into what this finding implies?
Hi, Welcome to the forum!

The wording in the MRI report is a little faulty, I suspect.  Sounds like the radiologist mispoke.  The first sentence would only make sense if the word "sulci" ( which is one of the deep fold that is seen on the outside of the brain) was actually meant to be the more common word "foci".  Then it would be stating that there were several "spot" of increased signal on the two imaging techniques.

These white matter lesions appear mostly to be the result of microvascular disease which is seen in normal aging (40"s +), migraines, hypertension, and possibly some of the clotting disorders which can result in tiny, ministroke events, (eg. Huges Syndrome)

Do you have a history of high BP or of migraines?  And how old are you?

For the "fairly" complete explanation (it needs some tweaking) please read our thread called "MRI, Lesions, and Symptoms."  There is a section in it explaining (in laymans terms) what the terms, T1, T2 and FLAIR mean.  I will find this thread and make sure it is on the first page, if you are viewing the forum by "Last post".  

Let us know if you don't find it.

Quix, MD
Thanks for the very clear response.

I am 67 years old.  I have "elevated" blood pressure or what is often called pre-hypertension, I believe.  My BP runs in the 145 to 150 over 78 to 82 range.

No migraines or or known clotting problems.

When I discussed the MRI with my internist, he pretty well blew it off, exept that he has scheduled a carotid scan at my request.

Ked
I just finished reading my wifes MRI what follows is copied and pasted from the cd. The information is totally alien to me and I could you some insite... We will be speaking with her dr later this week.
Thank you for your time.
John
************************
There are multiple foci of bright T-2 and FLAIR signal in
the periventricular white matter bilaterally. Several similar foci
are also noted in the brainstem and in the pons. These findings
suggest multiple sclerosis or vasculitis. There is no abnormal
enhancement. No mass or mass effect is present. There is no evidence of infarct or hemorrhage.
*************************
Hi, joparo!

I recommend starting a new thread with this information.  What sort of questions do you have about this information?  Take a look at the Health Pages section (the link is in the upper right corner) for more information about a diagnosis of MS, and how to interpret your MRI.
My child had a febrile seizure at 3 and a half years.last month when he is 5 and a half months,he had another seizure.The MRI brain and EEG have been reported to be normal.However today,another seizure took place.The MRI report states that:
"Evidence of a few discrete areas of T2 flair hyperintensity in billateral periventricular deep white matter"
IS there a need to worry?
AT the time of seizure the child has mild fever.Its been observed that on all occasions the seizures have occured after intense physical activities(exertion).
Please advice on d precautions as well as care to be taken while/post seizures

Thanking you
Yours truely
aishwarya
MRI w/wo contrast reads: Patchy, rounded and punctate foci of increased T2 and FLAIR signal in the periventricular and deep cortical white matter.  A patchy focus of increased T2 and FLAIR signal is seen in the leftward pons as well.  These findings are non specific. Differential considerations include small vessel disease, gliosis, demyelinating pathology and Lyme Disease.
Past history of MS 40 + years ago.  At that time only one small patch was noted.  Repeat Lymes testing - negative.  Recent history of
diplopia and blurred vision.  Burning, numbness on left side of body.
Patchy focus on Pons could be correlated with diplopia.  Could other
findings be age related - age 61.  
What is involved with further investigation for potential MS diagnosis?
Waiting for your reply.          Pam Cress
Hi could you please provide some insight as to what my recent MRI finding could mean:

"There are at least 20 T2 and FLAIR hyperintense FOCI within the periventicular and subcortical white matter of both cerebral hemispheres".

Also, I had a recent ANA test and the results were: Positive/Titre 80/patteren speckled.

Thanks.  Of note I've suffered migraines for 15 years.  I'm 50 years old.
This forum does not have an official physician answering questions.  I am a physician here with MS, but I am not official and I was NOT a neurologist.

Unofficially, you have many lesions found with the T2 and FLAIR techniques in places that MS lesions are frequently found.  However, a long history of migraine disease can also cause this type of lesion, as can many other disease processes.

Why was the MRI ordered?  No one can even guess at what an MRI means without knowing what symptoms the person has and what abnormalities they might have on neurologic exam.

The positive ANA is very weakly positive.  At the titre of 1:80 it could well mean nothing.  Real autoimmune immune disease is typically associated with higher titers than that.

So, no one here can say what your MRI might mean.  Much more information is needed.  What kind of symptoms have you had and for how long?  Is MS suspected?

Quix
Many thanks for your thoughts/input!  MRI was ordered for severe headaches.  I've suffered migraines for years.  My sister has similar ANA readings and had massive stroke at 43 yrs.

Again, many thanks!
With a history like that of a family history of early severe stroke, you would need to be worked up for disorders of the clotting system like are seen in Hughes Syndrome, AntiPhospholipid Syndrome, etc.  This is very concerning.  Please make sure your doc or cardiologist sends the blood word for the blotting factors and the antibodies anti-pospholipid and antiCardiolipin, along with Factor Leiden V, etc.  There are more than those, but a good internist, neurologist or cardiologist would know the whole workup.

Quix
Thanks!  Of interest I had DVT in my right leg (calf) at 25 years old!!   They never could determine why...they even though I had lupus.  Kind of makes sense looking back at things.

Best regards and many thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Steve

The MRI the study reveals tht there are small discrete T2/FLAIR hyperintensity seen in the basal ganglia capsular region , centrum semiovale and right frontal subcortical white matter
no midline shift see
note is made of panisinusitis

The physical symtom is left eye twitching.

Could you please suggest what is this and is this worrisome? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

no midline shift see
note is made of panisinusitis

Thank you in advance
Please help!!! What are flair hypertensity? I have them within the subcortical white matter of the right frontal lobe with additional tiny focus also possibly present within the subcortical white matter of the right centrum semi ovale. Aprox, 5 to 6 larger foci of FLAIR hyperintensity are demonstrated within the white matter posterior to he bodies of the lateral ventricles bilaterally right more than left? Also in my MRI result, information states abnormal hypointensity to the calvarial osseous marrow signal. I also have Chiari Malformation (this i already know much about). I am just not sure what the other indications mean??? I am only 24 years old!

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2aez6-a-few-scattered-foci-of-t2-flair-hyperintensity-are-present#ixzz0aIOpxgXJ
my wife mri of brain reveals a few discrete and punctate t2w flair hyperintense foci scattered in the bilateral periventricular sub cortical and deep white matter in temporal-trigonal and frontal-parietal lobes ;non-specfic white matter hyperintensities (wmh) and common etiology include admixed perivascular(virchow-robin) spaces; et at cribleand prominent inferior vermian recess and cisterna magna with key-hole apperance with altered folia morphology of the vermian process;variant/dysplasia/d-w9dandy-walker-variant)

I am a 37 year old woman and I had an MRI done about a week ago. I was refer to the Neurologist. My MRI results were several punctate foci of T2 and flair signal hyperintensity within the subcortical white matter of the frontal lobes. Primary differential considerations include sequela of previous infection or trauma, sequela migraine headaches or sequela of minimal chronic small vessel ischemic. I never suffer from headaches I am a bit concern because i been having muscle aches and it is difficult to walk, dizziness and some blurry vision, lossing concentration and memory problems. My doctor explained me but I did not understand very well
My brother MRI report says : "T2 and FLAIR hyperintense lesion noted in the left putamen and left centrum semiovale region suggestive of in fract"
Please help me to explain
I was diagnose a year ago with MS and the findings of the MRI were:
Multiple deep hemispheric white matter T2 hyperintensities are present bilaterally. over 20 hyperintensities are identified.there is involmente of both subcortical and periventricular white matter.Lesions range in size from 3 mm to 12mm.A majority of these lesions do not demonsrate assocated T1 signal abnormality. A small area of decreased of T1 signal present in a left parietal T2 hyperintensity, consistent with significant underlying parenchymal danmage (black hole).
Please explain, I need to know to make a desition about changing or not my treatment

Last November a nerve under my nose started twitching.  It twitched for about an hour and my nose dribbled for three days.  When the twitching stopped my skin around that area went semi numb.  That semi numbness spread to my whole body over the period of about a month.  The semi numbness is increasing in intensity.  My face is showing signs of drooping.  During this period my arms and legs have ached for weeks at a time.  A lot of the time my body has felt like its being microwaved i.e. like every cell in my flesh is vibrating at high speed. My MRI shows non specific T2 hyperintense foci in the subcortical white matter and one non specific hyperintense focus in the right frontal periventricular white matter region.  There is no evidence of any typical demyelination plaques.  The corpus callosum is normal in signal intensity, contour and morphology.  There is no obvious lesion in the cerebellar peduncles or in the posterior fossa.  The ventricular system and basal cisterns are within normal limits.  The brain stem and posterior fossa structures are within normal limits.  Can anyone help please?
my MRI W/O contrast, (as I have a severe reaction to the contrast as in, my entire right side, became cramped, my thumb locked to the palm of my hand, my fingers locked and started twisting in a different direction,then my wrest, elbow, and I yanked the IV out before it hit my shoulder. (while burning to the point it felt as though I had a blow torch on my arm, from the finger tips to the arm pit, along with my arm became bright red, and my hand where the IV was inserted had turned bright white, almost light green, the look of a dead body part, the tech, said in 20 yrs. she had never seen that reaction before!) my MRI report states, right frontal deep white matter 5mm punctate focus of T2 and FLAIR weighted hyperintense signal. the brain parenchyma "otherwise" appears normal. There is mild right "Mastoid Air Cell disease. IMPRESSION: There are few bilateral cerebral white matter punctate foci of T2 and FLAIR weighted hyperintense signal. The appearance in "nonspecific".
Could a 25 year old brain injury, cause these abnormalities. My medical insurance is far from great, not even close to good, I feel as though I am being put on the back burner so to speak. The neurologist, has no desire to find out WHY! Can any one out there give me some feed back? Please, and THANK-YOU
Small focal hyperintense T2 signal demonstrated at the deep right parietal lobe white matter.
My MRI states, "There is a tiny 4mm focal area of signal hyperintensity involving the pons just to the left of midline. This is seen on the T2 and FLAIR sequences, and actually shows slight enhancement with contrast as well. No additional foci are seen. this appearance is nonspecific potentially indicating a tiny area of demyelinization, nicroinfarction or even a very tiny neoplasm."

What does this mean?
Hi, Janelle, and Welcome to our little haven of insanity.  Since you posted on an old thread and many people might not see your question, would you be willing to create a new discussion and tell us your story?  Why did they do an MRI in the first place?

What has been going on with you?

A lesion in the pons is quite significant.  What are your symptoms?

Just go to the green box at the top of the page "Post A Question", click it and write your story.  Then everyone will see you and can help answer you question.  It's easier to answer, though if we know more about you.

Quix
Bedende zaman zaman baş dönmesi ve sağ tarafa doğru denge kaybı var ve bazen az da olsa uyuşma oluyor.
Çekilen Mr sonucunda

Sağda sentrum semiovale anteriorunda 3-4 .. çaplı istemik - gliotik olarak değerlendirilen bir adet T2-FLAIR sinyal hiperintensitesi izlenmektedir.
Vertebrobaziler sistem arterlerinde  hafif dolikoektazik seyir izlenmektedir.
Anterior ve posterior sirkülasyon arterleri SE sekanslarında normal signal void akım paterni sergilemektedir. Dural venöz sinüsler patent izlenmiştir.
The body to the right from time to time, dizziness and loss of balance, and sometimes there is a slight numbness.
Taken as a result of Mr.

Anterior to the right centrum semiovale 3-4 .. my will in diameter - is considered one T2-FLAIR signal hyperintensity gliotik monitored.
Vertebrobasilar system arteries observed light dolikoektazik cruise.
The anterior and posterior circulation arteries, the normal signal void flow pattern shows the SE sequences. Showed patent dural venous sinuses.

What is the diagnosis?
Can you please explain?
Dear All,
             Pls find the below MRI scan report of my 5 1/2 years old son. Requesting you all to please brief me about this report.
1.Right perirolandic polymicrogriya seen
2. Few focal non specific white matter T2 weighted / Falir hyper intensites noted.
Bilateral peritrigonal white matter hyperintensites without significiant white matter loss / Secondary change in the lateral ventricals - terminal zones of myelination.

Requesting you all to kindly brief me on the above Detail.

Regards

vijay P.C.
You need to discuss this with your Pediatric Neurologist.  These changes may be associated to with a specific set of leukodystrophies.  The patient's signs and symptoms and specific genetic testing may be required.

Bob
fullness in the right cavernous sinus region. this may be artifactual or due to aysmmetry. the possibility of a meningioma can not be entirely excluded. minimal T2 and T2 FLAIR hyperdense foci in both periventricular and deep white matter areas may be represent microvascular ischemia. small T1 dark and T2 bright signal focus in the right basal ganglia may represent a prominent parivascular space. mild nasal septal deviation to the left. minimal mucosal thickening in the ethmoid and maxillary sinuses. no acute intracranial hemorrhage, mass, mass effect or any major vascular territory interfact. minimal therosclerotic changes in the A1 and M1 segments of the left ACA and MCAs.
no significant stenosis, anuerysm,arteriovenous malformation or thrombus formation  
I had a MRI (Brain) and would like to know if i am ok and free from worry :(

(Findings)

The brain parenchyma demomstrares a normal position of the midline structures. The ventricles, cisterns, and sulci are normal in size and configuration for the patients age. There are a very few minimal nonspecific flair hyperintense foci scattered within the bilateral subcortical cerebral white matter. No restricted diffusion is present to suggest an acute infarction. The gray-white interface is preserved. No mass, mass effect, intracranial hemorrage of abnormal extra-axial fluid collection is exhibited. Flow voids are apparent within the major intracranial arteries. There is a grossly normal cervicomedullary junction. Normal signal amanates from the calvarial marrow. The paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are unremarkable. (Minimal nonspecific cerebral white matter disease). Differential diagnostic consideration include chronic ischemic microvascular angiopathy, remote infarcts, sequela of migraine headaches, and residual of a previous infectious, inflammatory of demyelinating process. (ps) DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS AT ALL : (
Hello my 16 month old daughter had 2 long seizures lasting 15-20 minutes each with episodes of absence minded, twitching of arms, contriction of limbs, eyes rolled, increase of mucous. Her first seizure was just 2 months ago and now just recently. After medication is administered she has small multiple seizures lasting seconds.  During her hospital stay many test have been ran with all labs coming up negative of infections. Her  MRI states symmetric FlAIR white matter intensivity..(something to that effect, i dont havit it infront of me) with a recommendation to redo in 6 months...What does this mean.
what does... mri in front of me: bright T2 lesion 0.8x0.4 in right pariteal white matter, less defined patchy bright T2 lesion in bilateral deep white matter, few tiny up to 0.3 bright T2 focal lesions in left frontal & bilaterlal parital deep white matters . scattered puntate T2 hyperintense lesions w/involvement of corpus callosum....says impression: compatible w/stable demylenating disease such as multiple sclerosis, or ischemic lesions to vasculitis or migraine. over past yr had left face numb, tingle, sensation of warm water over thight, blurred vision seconds, mood swings, cant fucus, verigo, delayed speach for seconds, papls & extreme fatigue. im 33 and considered healthy.. vague strang sxs!!
feel like no one listening. my symptoms are real
Welcome.

This is an old post. You may get more responses if you click the green button at the top of the screen and copy and paste this there. :)

FINDINGS: No evidence of a Chiari malformation or partially empty sella.  No  
evidence of an acute infarct.  No MR evidence for intracranial hemorrhage.  
Compared with prior examination, re-demonstrated are scattered subcortical and
periventricular white matter T2/FLAIR signal hyperintensities.  These appear  
grossly stable when compared to the prior examination.  More diffuse white  
matter T2/FLAIR signal hyperintensities within the posterior frontal/parietal  
region also appear to have been present on the prior examination.  Post  
contrast imaging demonstrates no evidence of abnormal intracranial  
enhancement.

No hydrocephalus.  The intracranial flow voids are present.  Cavum septum  
pellucidum.

No fluid levels in the visualized paranasal sinuses.  Mastoid air cells appear
clear.

IMPRESSION:  

No evidence of acute infarct, mass or hydrocephalus.

Grossly stable nonspecific focal, as well as more diffuse, white matter  
T2/FLAIR signal hyperintensities without enhancement.  Considerations do  
continue to involve sequelae of migraine headaches, microangiopathic changes,  
demyelinating process, Lyme disease versus a vasculitis.  Due to the lack of  
enhancement, no evidence of recent activity.
I am a little stressed here, and not sure If I should be.. I had a MRI done today of the brain w/out contrast. I have been having temple and back of the head headaches. The doctor called me in and said the MRI doc called and said I had a flair in post faulx right and left cerebal hemisphere. They said maybe acute tiny thrombus. I had no swelling of tissue. They scheduled me for a second image as MRV. The doctor does not seemed to be too concerened. I do have discoid lupis and am not on any birth control. I am also 41. If anyone has any info they can help with, it would be VERY appreciated.
Sincerely
Hi this is what my MRI reads there are some very subtle areas of T2 flair abnormalities within the white matter that do not enhance and are nospecific. there is no enhancing mass, acute infart, midline shift, or external fluid. the ventricules and sulci are within normal limits. WHat does this mean im making a appointment with a neuro. symptoms of why i went to dr in first place slight numbness on right side of my face, leg weakness on right side. I have a hx of HTN, hypothyroid.Im 36 years old. I do have an old MRI thank god for comparison. Please anyone help explain what this means. Im a nervous wreck!
My MRi also conatains this word.  "On the FLAIR sequences subtle
foci of peripheral T2 bright signal is probably volume averaging with deep sulci
rather than true lesions in the brain. No definite insults in the brain"   neuroanatomy, a sulcus (Latin: "furrow", pl. sulci) is a depression or fissure in the surface of the brain. It surrounds the gyri, creating the characteristic ...

Hi, my wife had an acute headache and was admitted to hospital for suspected subarachnoid hemorrhage. The ct scan and ct angiogram were normal but spinal puncture showed blood but it was apparently a 'bloody tap'. Then an MRI scan was done which reads: there is a subtle sulcal FLAIR high signal in right medial frontoparetial regions suggestive of focal subarachnoid hemorrhage although there is no corresponding gradient susceptibility.' how definite it is that my wife actually had this bleeding? She is fine now, 4 weeks after the event but is complaining of strange sensations in her head, dizziness, particularly when talking or leaning forward, and loss of memory at times. Many thanks for any explanations
Armando
Hi, can someone please tell me what Basal arteries and dural venous sinuses are patent means??????  and
No cranioverteral junction anomaly is shown???
Thanks in advance!
hi this is an MRI result. any body can help:
multifocal bilateral small sized subcortical and paraventricular white matter and centrum bright signal intensitylesions are seen on T2& FLAIR images  due to most probably demyelinating plaques, possibility of MS should be considered
similar lesions in right middle cerebellar peduncle, pons and genu of corpus callosum are evident.
clinical correlation is recommended.
the interhemispheric fissure is centered on the midline.

the cerebrum and cerebellum exhibit normal cortical sulcation.
the cerebral ventricles are of normal size and symmetrical with normal circulation of CSF.
there are no sign of increased intracranial pressure.

the cortex & white matter show normal development.
No abnormalities are seen in the basal ganglia, internal capsule, or thalamus.
the sella and pituitary are normal, and parasellar structures are unremarkable.
the cerebellopontine angle area appears normal on each side.

the internal acoustic meatus has normal width.
the orbital contents are unremarkable.

FINDINGS:

There is bilateral T1 hyperintensity involving both globus pallidi
and internal capsules, given history of cirrhosis which is consistent
with hepatic encephalopathy. Focus of T2 hyperintensities with
susceptibility artifact involving globus pallidi is likely secondary
to basal ganglia calcifications. Otherwise cerebral and cerebellar
hemispheres are normal in appearance and signal intensity. There are
scattered periventricular FLAIR hyper intensities, consistent with
periventricular small vessel ischemic changes. The ventricles are
normal in size. The basilar cisterns are maintained. There is no
evidence of intra-axial or extra-axial hemorrhage, or mass. No
abnormal enhancing foci are identified. There is incidental finding
of right cerebellar venous anomaly. Small amount of secretion is
noted into left sphenoid sinus.

What does this mean and should i do a follow up, if so what kind of doctor should i see? THANK YOU SO MUCH
Hi can any1 help me,my 8 year old son has optic nerve hypoplasia(undeveloped nerve frm brain 2 eye) he is blind in 1 eye.he has loads nose bleeds,headaches,body cramps,stomach pains & stiffness causing him pain & discomfort any time of day especially on left side of body & his neck,plus toiletting problems. So an mri of brain was done and ultra sound of bladder & kidneys,we haven't yet received the written report of US but radiologist said his bladder was thickened which shows he can only hold 5 table spoons of fluid but should be able to hold 25-30 tbl spoons before feeling the urge @ his age,& even after he goes toilet several times his bladder still does not empty (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ?)... Now the mri results of brain & orbits:- under developed optic nerve & high signal in T2. Elsewhere there are bilateral high signal small scattered foci in both hemispheres in periventricular regions which are non specific and of uncertain significance to patients age.( CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND)
I don't know if you are still hear..  but being both a doctor /patient bet you can see both sides in relating to difficult diseases and diagnosing them.  I think it is great you are here trying to help others!    I too work in the medical field and also have neulogical disorder.    Sometimes it is frustrating knowing and interpreting reports on oneself.    But, everyday I am greatful for I could be worse off.  

Regards,  Anneliese ..  Arnold Chiari Malformation, hydrocephalus ...note ACM is one that can be mistaken for MS.. I have similar symptoms.
Hi everone, Thank God I stumbled onto this site! I am at my wits end. I don't know where to turn so anyone who can guide me would be much appreciated. I will start with my MRI report which was done for worsening headaches: There haI am at my wits end. I don't know where to turn so anyone who can guide me would be much appreciated. I will start with my MRI report: There has been interval increase in punctate nonspecific white matter foci of FLAIR hyperintensity seen specifically in the left frontoparietal centrum ovale. Minimal periventricular FLAIR hyperintensities also seen. The MRI was done at my request since my last one was in 2008. My past medical history includes Hemiplegic migraine after suffering TIA from prolonged vasospasm @ 25yo, migraines/headaches since childhood, asthma,was in car accident at 36,  lumbar annular tear, widespread pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, maybe fibro, worsening symptoms over several years including irritable bowel, irritable bladder,  diagnosed with hemochromatosis, had port placed for phlebotomies and developed pulmonary embolus 7 days later, at which point I was diagnosed with protein S and Leyden V,  since then worsening headaches, partial loss of vision in right eye for approximately 3-4 hours, weaknesson right side, paresthesias, short and some long term memory loss, had bunionectomy developed complex regional pain syndrome, Upper GI swallowing motility problem, difficulty swallowing at times, tachycardia particularly after meals, achalasia, GERD, large hiatal hernia,  3cm lymph node tail of right breast, intermittent axillary and inguinal lymph node enlargement, lung nodule in lingula which was monitored had TB test and Flu shot developed abscess in right nostril with mild facial cellultis put on course of antibiotics and report CT scan of lung no nodule. Have had rheumatology workup nothing definitive, fibro, tried neurontin and lyrica and tongue swelled up lost sense of taste and face and arms dull sensation, diagnosed with  bipolar disorder in 40s, I am lost.  s been interval increase in punctate nonspecific white matter foci of FLAIR hyperintensity seen specifically in the left frontoparietal centrum ovale. Minimal periventricular FLAIR hyperintensities also seen. The MRI was done at my request since my last one was in 2008. My past medical history includes Hemiplegic migraine after suffering TIA from prolonged vasospasm @ 25yo, migraines/headaches since childhood, asthma,was in car accident at 36,  lumbar annular tear, widespread pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, maybe fibro, worsening symptoms over several years including irritable bowel, irritable bladder, have horrible nights sleep and need restoril every night- worked night shift for many years switched to days and have delayed sleep latency and had no REM during sleep study, diagnosed with hemochromatosis, had port placed for phlebotomies and developed pulmonary embolus 7 days later, at which point I was diagnosed with protein S and Leyden V,  since then worsening headaches, partial loss of vision in right eye for approximately 3-4 hours, weakness on right side, paresthesias, difficulty speaking at times word finding difficulty, short and some long term memory loss, had bunionectomy developed complex regional pain syndrome, Upper GI swallowing motility problem, difficulty swallowing at times, tachycardia particularly after meals, achalasia, GERD, large hiatal hernia,  TMJ, 3cm lymph node tail of right breast, intermittent axillary and inguinal lymph node enlargement, lung nodule in lingula which was monitored had TB test and Flu shot developed abscess in right nostril with mild facial cellultis put on course of antibiotics and report CT scan of lung no nodule. Intermittent protein C elevations, ANA, Lymes, Sarcoid, scleroderma negative. Have had rheumatology workup nothing definitive, fibro, tried neurontin and lyrica and tongue swelled up lost sense of taste and face and arms dull sensation, diagnosed with  bipolar disorder in 40s, I am a 51 year old nurse who has been struggling to work with use of FMLA but my symptoms have worsened and I'm on a LOA. I and am absolutely exhausted and frustrated trying to find someone who can put the pieces of the puzzle together so I can have some quality of life.
Thanks,
'Desperately Seeking a Solution'
welcome to the forum,  you can find many helpful people here,  

your question is under a old thread,  may I suggest you start a new thread and  break into paragraphs because a few us  of might find it hard to read..

take care
JB
thanks for letting me know. I'll reformat. I am terrible with computers, could you tell me where the icon for start a new thead is?
cks

its at the top it says ,  post a question... I use a Mac so might it show up in a different location for you.
You can then cut and paste your questions

take care
Jb
Thanks, here goes.
take care as well
cks
my child age 10 years she was suffering with dizziness in 1st MRI report were evidence of rounded T2W/Flair hyperintense foucus seen in right frontal white matter - ? granulomatous lesion after 5days CT scan report Bilateral globus pallidus show minute calcific focus I cannot understanding the reports please explain
Please send this link for info to me at email ***@****

As this is an publicly viewable and searchable forum, for your protection and also to prevent spamming, MedHelp does not allow email addresses to be published outside of private messages. Additionally, Quix is no longer an active member.

If you're curious about something specific, please consider searching past forum questions or post a new one of your own. There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people in the community who would be only too glad to help!
one of my friend done his MRI & the impression shows that -> There is an abnormal, intra-parenchymal tortuous slow flow vessel in the left deep frontal region lying interior to the putamen with surrounding illdefined T2/FLAIR hyperintense area of abnormal signal.
Findings suspicious for a venous angioma.
Understanding the reports please explain.
Coukd someone please explain this MRI repirt to me???
1. Small foci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity in the anteromedial right thalamus and also in the rightward cerebellum. These are entirely  nonspecific. They could be postinflammatory, postinfectious or postischemic. Neoplastic process would be considered unlikely. If warranted, further assessment with gadolinium enhancement could be performed. Clinical and/or CSF correlation may be of benefit. They are quite minimal however.
Had MRI-could someone tell me what my results mean.

Multiple Foci of hight t2 and flair signal, mostly in the subocrtical white matter but also in the deep white matter.  Foci of microvascular ischemic changes or less likely demyelinatin process.

I have the MRI due to headaches with some headachs in/back of the left eye.  

Labs revealed positive ANA dual pattern speckled and Homogenous 1:80 sed rate normal.  

I suffer from pain in the legs and severe pain in my left hip joint.  Walking is painful. Painful joints in both hands mostlly the thumbs with decrease strength.

Have high bloo pressure, controlled with medication and Hypothyroid which is controlled with mediciation.
Just had a 'brain MRI' for migraine headaches... result language similar to others in this thread... "T2 and FLAIR hyper intense foci... both cerebral hemispheres... Approx 20 lesions... sizes 2-4mms.." scary stuff to the layman, and hard to research because either it's generalized, or it's piece-mealed. Therefore, additional tests were ordered for me, I have both Lupus and Fybromyalgia. My ANA was positive during the MRI. I'm a little nervous, to be honest. This is not how I wanted/expected to spend my 4th quarter in life. I am only 56, hopefully gonna make it another 20-25 yrs, but I want quality more than number of years. So, is 20+ lesions something that will continue to rise? Is there a red-alert number of these that a brain can take? In plain speaking, give me your best - thanks. PS; I REALLY function better with warmth, heated blankets, a hat, etc., is this a 'bad' thing?
My daughter who is 21 years old recently had an MRI of the head done- this is what the report says, can anyone explain this to me:
Findings
There are multiple mainly subcortical white matter hyperintensities involving supratentorial brain parenchyma. There is no mass effect or surrounding edema. The corpus callosum, gray matter based ganglia and posterior fossa structures appear normal. No mass effect or midline shift. No evidence of acute ischemia.
Impression
Multiple white matter hyperintensities, for this age group, most likely related to demyelination process. For followup.
Hi there & welcome,

I'm sure someone on the forum would like to answer your question but it may get missed as this thread is old. I can imagine you are worried about your daughter & I hope you get some answers soon.

Take Care,
Karry.
recently i tested the mri of my mother which is surfing from upper head pain. the mri result are include the multiple focal hyperintensities in bilateral frontal and partial white matter on flair image suggesting old ischemic lessions.will u please suggesting to me what problem with her .. n what will be treatment for that .
Please advise had and MRI done and it shows "There is patchy increased T2/FLAIR signal
    abnormality within the periatrial regions bilaterally" what does this mean
Roughly, it means that during the T2/FLAIR sequence of the MRI in question, both sides of the... (and here I'm going to guess that if you're here asking about a brain MRI there's a typo involved) parietal part of the brain. Periatrial would be a part of the heart.

This can be caused by a number of things. MS is just one and also less likely than things like migraines, smoking, diabetes, etc., though these will often be further described as ischemic changes. Only your doctors can really elucidate the data for you. We're just patients here.

Usually on the report there will be a section labelled 'Impressions' where the radiologist will hazard a guess as to reasons for the finding. This is not equivalent to a diagnosis, rather a bit of short-hand for the treating neurologist if the images are available to them.
MRI Impression - 2014 Aug
- mild degree of cerebral atrophy
-T1 hypointense, T2 Flair hyperintense foci in white matter of fronto
parietal lobes, periventricular region of both cerebral hemisphere -
Small Ischemic Changes.
T1, FLAIR, T2 hyperintense lesion in posterior part of left putamen-
lacunar infarct
- MRA - moderate degree of focal narrowing of M2 segment of left
middle cerebral artery
-Lacunar infarct in pons
-Attenuation of caliber of v4 segment of both vertebral arteries,
distal part of basilar artery and both posterior artery- Due to
atherosclerosis?
This is a patient support forum. We are not doctors here. This would be best discussed with her medical team.
okay, can i get some support..
You have posted your question in the Multiple Sclerosis community, I suggest you post this question about your grandmother's MRI in the neurology forum, where you may find a broader understanding but please keep in mind as immisceo pointed out, it would be best to discuss this with your grandmother's doctors.

Cheers..........JJ