What is considered to be early stages of MS
Hi everyone,

I'm still not fully dx but on my last MRI it said early stages of MS.  What does that mean exactly?  Early stages in years and what amount of time is considered early?  I'm in my 10th year and feeling really unable to function normally.  

Just some background...I started having symptoms after having my son in 2001 that was blamed on scoliosis but then the spinal specialist said that my scoliosis wouldn't cause the symptoms I was having.  Moved to Alberta in 2003,  saw a Dr. who sent me for blood work, she said she couldn't find any reason for me to be so exhausted all the time.  I went to a new Dr who I complained to for 4 yrs about the numbness, going blind in 1 eye one day, the burning in my leg, sharp pains etc etc he did nothing.  

I went to a new Dr. in 2008 who figured it out in a 30 min conversation with me!  Was sent for an MRI with 4 lesions showing up.  I've been moving around the last 2 years, had a few MRIs which remained the same up untill the last one about a year and a half ago, which said 3 lesions....I think...but for sure said early stages of MS.  But feeling the way that I do now makes me wonder.....If I'm in early stages now how will I be in the later stages?  Or am I even in the early stages now?

Zeta
Are you seeing a neuro or PCP?  If I were you I would make an appointment to see an MS specialist and soon.  I think it would be important at this stage to be put on a DMD to prevent further damage to your body.  

Just my two cents....and welcome to the board.
Thanks for your reply.  I've just recently moved back to Alberta and the new Dr I'm seeing was more concerned about my heart and my angina like attacks.  So I've been getting that looked after with ultrasound etc. while getting all of my files together (moving around is a pain).  But he should have them all now, so monday i'm going to make an appointment with him and suggest a referral to an MS specialist, or a neurologist to get a confirmed diagnosis.  

The neuros and ms specialists are a 2 1/2 hour drive away so I didn't want to make that trip untill my Dr had my history to back me up.  I saw a neuro in 2008 but she didn't have my history and decided that the MRI showing 4 lesions wasn't good enough, and wanted me to have another one with contrast.  Of coarse this all takes months here, I had the MRI with contrast and the same thing showed up.  We moved before my next appointment with her.  This time I will have my files covering the last 7 years!

Thanks again
Zeta