Multiple Sclerosis Community
What is involved in a Neuro-psychological exam

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I am dx'd w/MS and am now on disability.  The Neuro has ordered a Neuro-psych exam and my insurance co. has pre-approved it.  I got the letter in the mail showing I am pre-approved and it showed 10 hrs. of neuro-psych testing.
What kind of questions are on there?  What shall I expect?  Is it really 10 hrs?  If you've had this done, please let me know what to expect.
Thanks!!!
I've been evaluated by a psychologist, and yes, it will take a while.  The ten hours is an estimate - some go faster, some go slower.

Expect to be tested to your limits!  You'll find that you start out doing okay in the mornings, then by the afternoon, you'll get tired and won't do as well.  Bring a lunch, and a snack, and be sure to eat breakfast.

It's a full evaluation, and comes in several modules.  You'll be tested on attention, short-term memory, word association, symbol recall, and lots more stuff I can't remember.  

What's excellent about this system is that it will show the psychologist exactly what's damaged, and what's still working.  They test and retest areas of deficiency to be sure that it's not just malingering, then they'll send an evaluation to your neurologist to let him (and you) know where your deficiencies lie.

My psychologist recommended Aricept, which I took for several months, and it seemed to help clear the cobwebs from my head.  
I too had one.  Jen described it very well.  My neuro/physic took about 6 and 1/2 hours.  I one choose to take one 10 minute break, I wanted to get home.  It was a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.

It is very tiring and you may become frustrated when you can't complete a task.  Don't worry though.  Just do your best...they know when you don't.  They are kinda of like Santa knowing whether you are naughty or nice.

It gives you a good baseline for future testing.

good luck and don't worry.  terry