What is the maximum amount of Neurontin you can take?
I just need to know what the normal amount of neurontin is a day.  I am just curious as I do not want to overdose, but I have been needing more of it lately and do not want to take more than is recommended.  My prescription is two years old and my neuro then just told me to take it as needed.  I don't think he had any idea that I would be needing it as much as I do now.  Thanks.
  Tahiri
I believe that the highest "recommended" dose is 3600mg per day for an adult.  I have heard of people on higher doses, but they would have to be monitored more carefully.

It is more effective taken every day in nearly the same dose.  You should not be taking it "as needed."

Q

Thanks.  As you probably already know both of the neuro's I have had are idiots that is why I asked this question.  So it should be okay if I end up having to take more than 600 mg a day right?  Also are you feeling better or am I just lucky?
Tahiri
Oh yes it would probably be fine, but I would consult a doc since none of us knowns your personal story.

I myself was taking 600mg twice a day (for quite some time), with the OK from my family doc to add an extra dose (so another 600mg) if I was in a "flare" and having breakthrough pain.

As it turns out, I've had to cut down to 300mg twice a day due to sudden severe vertigo, and I'll continue at this dose until 1) I can talk to my doc about switching to another med, or 2) I have nasty side effects at this dose, whichever comes first.

I have heard of neurologists prescribing up to 5400 mg a day to some people.

Christine
(un-dx)
When I first went to my new neuro I was taking 900 mg a day. She said that that was a very low dose, and that she usually has people one much higher doses.

I am up to 1200 mg a day now, and am suppose to work up to about 2000 mg. Quix is right, of course, you do need to be on the same amount everyday. Also, I try to take mine at the same time every day. I can tell when I need to take a dose by the increase in my sx.

Good luck.