Multiple Sclerosis Community
What is the select as best answer?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What is the select as best answer?

Hi I noticed that on my introducing myself entry there was a select as best answer function on only one of the postings (Mikes) and not on any other persons post. I clicked it to see what it was (some may argue it as self explanatory but never having been one to avoid an obvious conclusion - I always have to jump in and try new things) and it moved that posting to the top.

For what purpose would we use that function?  Is there a contest to see who provides the best answer to each posted question or inquiry?

I am just wondering so that I can keep an eye out for it in the future. - Carol
Well, this is a "feature" added by MedHelp to help identify members who give very good answers.  Only the people who started the thread are able to choose this.  They can choose only one and there is no way to undo it.  MH encourages you to choose, but many of us feel that this adds a competitiveness to the forum that we, at least, don't need.  Much of the information that we give out is cummulative and often comes from several members' input.  Many other threads are of the type that there could not be a "best" answer.

Anyway, don't worry about it.  We don't.  And welcome to the forum.  I saw your new post and I hope to have energy enough to add a response to it.  I do invite you to read and ask and play around on the forum for support, info and general giggles.

You might want to take a look at the Health Pages.  These are articles writtem by our members on topics that come up often.  A good place to start - and bookmark is -

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/MS-Information-and-Resources-Index/show/22?cid=36

I am Quix, one of the Co-Community Leaders and a physician in a former (pre-MS) life.  I try - along with the many scientists and knowledgeable people here - to provide good, solid, evidence-based information.  Personally, I think we easily have the best MS forum on the net.  Bias is good, lol.

Quix
We had a bit of a discusion about this not too long ago. I'll try to find it and bump it up for you. (TRY)

Most people don't like the best answer function, and just ignore it. We feel all responses are important, and we certainly don't want to make a contest out of who provides the best answers.

Mike
have a look at Shermay's May 3rd post (I bumped it up for you)

M.
I agree with Quix - I think it's a waste of our time.  Too distracting!