Multiple Sclerosis Community
What next???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What next???

Well my bladder is not behaving!

When I go to the toilet it only trickles out. I talk about this to my GM consultant the described as loss of bladder pressure.
Since then with no warning or feeling I leak, it only a little, no flooding, I'm just damp in my pants. This can happen just 10mins after I've been to the toilet. I don't have any feeling of a full bladder most of the day. only in the morning when I lay in bed quite comfy, then I get up at this point my bladder suddenly feels full and I start to leak. Thankfully as I only trickle I generally make it to loo before it hits the floor.
I have google this and it suggests I am not emptying my bladder fully but the article goes on to say if tested they would consider it a medical problem if 100m were left in the bladder. Well when the leaking occurs it's nowhere near this amount! I know I need to speak to the consultant about this but I don't think I can cope with the tests that may follow.
arrrrgh...
Sorry you are going through this. I think you should see a urologist they may do a urodynamics test on you to see what is going on with your bladder and figure out what they can do to help you. It is a catheter and they fill you with liquid and then you expell it and they measure how much you expell compared to how much you took in.

It isn't to painful and it can give you the results you need to find a solution. If you don't get it treated it can lead to UTI's and kidney infection/problems so I encourage you to take the next step and see the urologist.

Take care and I hope you get some relief,
Paula
Twist,
There is a very simple test that a good urologist will do to see about your retention - they will have you void your bladder and then do a quick ultrasound to see if you have retention.  

It is not always required to have urodynamics studies done  to diagnose bladder problems.  

Despite having the leaking you may still have urinary retention.   It can be complex deciding what is wrong, but don't give up.  Treatment can help most of us - there are a variety of drugs and self-management techniques that can add to our quality of life.

Don't delay talking to your doctor about this problem - it usually won't get better on its own.

be well, Lulu
Thank you Lulu I can cope with an ultrasound but not catheters and the like. not yet anyway.

Twist
Twist,

As a member of the intermittent self-catherization club, I have to tell you it really does make a difference for my quality of life.  It is really liberating to be able to last 3-4 hours without a trip to the loo.  It also allows me to sleep through the night, well on most nights.

Once you get past the ick factor, it is an easy technique that just about everyone can master.

I view this as a better choice that risking damage and having to do dialysis three times a week because of a bladder infection refluxing into my kidneys.  It can and does happen if your bladder does not empty completely.  

It is a hard conversation to have with the doctors, but they've heard it all before.  They can make the tests are comfortable as possible for you - if they decide you need to go ahead with the urodynamic study.  

My neuro thinks the urologist should have done the study, and I discussed it with the urologist.  She said regardless of what the results were, she would still treat me and my misbehaving bladder the same way.  So we skipped the additional tests.

Good luck with this - I know it isn't easy to face.  Quix and I and many others here can empathize with you.  

-Lu