Multiple Sclerosis Community
What to expect?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What to expect?

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with MS this past Wednesday (3/2/11). My results stated that there are 6 or 7 lesions in the bilateral frontal lobe white matter tracks of my brain. I guess my main question is a loaded one....what can I except with this illness? I have already experienced some muscle spasticity and numbness, as well as some issues with my vision, but I am curious about what constitutes an "attack". Also, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in December of 2010, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced related bladder problems with MS.

Any advice or information is incredibly appreciated as I feel clueless trying to digest this news.

Thank you!!

Erin
Erin,

First off let me say I am sorry for the dx (diagnosis) This is not a fun disease as I am sure you already know, but with support and a good neuro it will help alot. You will find the most wonderful support here on this forum. Everyone is so willing to listen and help.

It is hard to say what to expect with this disease because it affects everyone differently. Starting a DMD (disease modifying drug) will help with slowing the disease.

An attack is new symptoms or old symtoms (symptoms) getting worse and last at least 24 hours
and seperated by at least 30 days before another attack.

Bladder problems are very common with MS. Urinary incontenence is a huge problem so is not emptying your bladder.

Digesting the news is the hardest part. You will go through a ton of emotions and eventually you will come to terms with it. Getting support, like finding a wonderful forum like this or contacting you local MS society can help with finding support groups. It is the comfort of knowing you are not alone that is the biggest help.

Also educating your family on MS is on the top of my list because they will not undersstand if it isnt explained to them..

I wish you the best of luck and stay areound here for the support you need.

Hugs,
Paula
Hi Erin and let me add my welcome to what Paula has offered.  She is so right about this being a great place to hang out and learn more.

Having a diagnosis is reallhy a good thing - this means the doctors can move on with offering you a disease modifying therapy that will hopefully slow or halt the progression of your MS.  

This is an extremely MySterious disease and each person's MS is entirely different from the next.... One thing I have learned is to not borrow trouble and anticipate and worry about what might happen.

It is hard to stay in the moment at times, but if youlearn to do so, it will be less of a roller coaster ride.

There will be lots of ups and downs as you adjust to this thought.  Just go with it and you'll find your own rhythm for living with MS.  

Knowledge reallhy is power - learn as much as you can about MS.  

I'm sorry you have MS but I'm glad you found us here.  We welcome your questions, comments and even the occasional rants and pity parties.  

be well, Lulu
Welcome, Erin!  I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this!

I just take things one day at a time.  What else can I do?  Worrying about it is useless.  Keep moving, enjoy time with friends/family, laugh often.
Cheers!
Hi Erin im in the same boat as you just dx 2 weeks ago, i come on here and read the posts to find out about it, it is a shock when your told the news, but i keep telling myself theres people a lot worse out there and that keeps me focused. love Rosie x