Multiple Sclerosis Community
What typr of mattress do you use?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What typr of mattress do you use?

Hi everyone! Just curious what kind of mattresses you guys sleep on. I wake up most nights with back pain. I have a pillow-top right now but I'm in the market for a new one. Can anyone recommend the right type of matress for people with back pain?
   Believe it or not...I still have a water bed that I would not trade for the world.
It is not a Baffled (motion free) one either. It is in fact a free wave, ride the tide mattress.
In fact when we go away and I have to sleep on a regular mattress(sp), I get a bit stived up and do not sleep well.

I know, I am probably the onlyone here on the forum who is still so 80's and LOVES their Water Bed  :)

~Tonya

I got an elcetric adjustable bed (free) thinking it would do the trick.  It has a deep memory foam mattress.  It is horrible for me.  One - I am heavy and sink so deeply into it that then I can't move around.  Also, it was hot.

I was reading "Action" magazine, the magazine of the American Spinal Association, heat was listed as a negative for the memory foam.

When I was trying out mattresses for an adjustable bed the one I liked was a firm regular foam mattress.

I still sleep in my recliner and will continue to do so until it causes some problem.

Tonya - lol, us, try the 70"s.  I loved them, but now would never be able to get myself up and out of one.

Quix
I have a pretty basic foam mattress. It's all I can afford, really - homeowner's insurance bought it after a flood, and put on a price limit for us. But I managed to get one that's very firm, which is nice for me - it's easier to get out of bed when I haven't sunk into my mattress! And it just somehow feels better on my poor, poor back. I'm happier sleeping on a simple mat on the floor than I would be one a bed that's too squishy.

I'm pretty suspicious of anything too fancy. Just something simple, good quality but without lots of bells and whistles works well for me!
Dh and I purchased a Tempurpedic mattress about 2 1/2 years ago and I absolutely loved it. Since my symptoms began 1 1/2 years ago I had trouble getting comfortable sleeping in a bed. I couldn't sleep on my left side anymore and couldn't get comfortable on the right. I can't sleep flat on my back so I would elevate my head on 3 pillows which helped some until I just couldn't stand to lie down anymore. I have been sleeping in our recliner downstairs in the family room for 7 months now. :(
Much more comfortable than the bed, but would love to find a better alternative.
I have a POS mattress and get the same back problems but when I sleep on my couch I dont feel all stiff. Go figure
After suffering with lots of pillow tops, waterbeds, brick like mattresses and even the tempurpedic over the years, we finally sprung for a sleep number bed that you can change to firmness on each side and which raises and lowers the head and feet. I just love it and can change the settings as needed. My husband loves it since he can use whatever settings he likes.

After years of lower back problems, sinus issues and now this MS crud, the sleep number is the best bed I can imagine. Its pricey to say the least but it make such a huge difference in my sleep, I would take a second mortgage on the house to afford it if I had to! I sleep at a setting of 90 (very stiff) and elevate my head about 6 inches. Husband sleeps flat at a soft setting of 30.

Marriage saver, I say.

I've got a regular sprung mattress but thought it worth mentioning that a friend of mine spent a lot of money on a memory foam mattress.

She hated it - for the first time in her life she started to suffer with back pain. Despite the expense she got rid of it.

Mand
Seally posterpedic futon with a memory foam topper. I can't sleep on a firm mattress.

Alex