Multiple Sclerosis Community
When should you go to the ER for MS symptoms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I was told a week ago that they think I have MS. Today I was supposed to get an MRI ,but I keep having dizzy spells and I felt unsafe driving. I live alone and all this is new to me. I have in the last few days lost feeling in my arms and my face feels like I've just came from the dentist. Im scared, I want to go to the emergency room if it would help to stop more damage from occuring...but Im just not sure what to do. Im also having vision problems, I've been seeing sparkles, floaters or my vision will fade out. I have been losing concentration and having memory problems. My doctors appt. is days away, should I go to the ER or just wait for the appt?
Were you told by a neurologist that you may have MS?  Did you have a CT scan?  The only good way to answer your question is to know more about where you are at in the diagnosis process and whether other causes have been ruled out.

You could always call your doctor (a neurologist?) and ask what they suggest you do.   Can you get a ride or take a taxi?
I think if these are new symptoms then a visit to the ER wont hurt - I think you should never assume that everything is MS you could miss something else that is going on..
I don;t think I would go to an er for an ms problem, except for a bad fall
Hi Mitzydawn,
the idea of having MS can be pretty daunting - and you definitely can't assume everything you are feeling is from possible MS.  

While normally those of us who are dx'd would refrain from going to the ER, it probably would be worth your while to be seen by a doctor.

You could call your neuro, and ask for their advice.  

Or you could head to the ER, and have this entire episode examined and documented for your records.  If it is MS, and you are in the midst of an exacerbation, the IV solumedrol would probably be the treatment to give you relief.

We have little control over what damage is done to us by our MS, but we can control some of the ongoing symptoms.  I hope that makes sense.

Please consult the doctors and get their advice on what to do next.

When you feel better I hope we will see you around here and you will take advantage of all the information here about MS.  It really is helpful to understand what is going on with our bodies.

my best,
Lulu
ER... umm... I would call the Hospital and talk to someone there who could possibly tal to you about your new symptoms.  3 months before I was even told I "Might have HM" I went to the ER for vision problems in my "GOOD EYE."  The ER dr. laughed at me and told me to go to an Ophthalmologist.  I went to several other dr's who all said nothing was wrong. If you have a "Possible MS diagnosis, I would either call your Nuerologist Dr who you have an appointmnet with and they will tell you whether or not to see a dr. in your area before going to them or just wait and see them in a couple of days.  After being officially diagnosed, I swear I  have a different nurse calling me from Copaxone as well as my dr. office asking me how I'm doing, if I have more symptoms, how the meds are working, askimg me if I have any other questions.  I think I've got more support that everyone.   I'm hoping this is happening with everyone for their own sanity.  I still don't know much about MS.  Never really knew anything about it until my dr. said it's not headaches... it's MS.  The MS community is very helpful.  Call your dr.  Your nurse will help you even if your appointment is several days away.  She will talk to your dr and call you back!!!  Swedish Hospital in seattle is where I go.  Such a wonderful place.  I thought i was a normal kindergarten teacher a month ago, now I'm 35, 2 kids under 4, married and have ms.  My symptoms seem to be coming on rather quickly within the last month or so, but supposedly meds are going to help.  I have faith in this medical community!  I hope this helps.  Call them, they will help you too!  Don't wait.  :-)
Good luck to you,
Leah  
sorry... meant to say, Might have MS, not HM.  
Call the neuro....tell him why you missed the scan and that you need help.  He will be your best bet for help.