Multiple Sclerosis Community
Who has Double Vision

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Who has Double Vision

Hi there I am wondering if someone can share with me their experiences with double vision.

When do you get it ? How long does it last ? Is it only when your looking in a certain direction ? Just wondering...
Shawnie, I don't have that problem but doublevision does.  I hope she sees this because I know she will be more than happy to talk about her vision problems with you.

I take it you are having problems with your sight... I hope it gets better.
Lulu
I am un dx'd, but I do have double vision.  It came on suddenly during a really bad episode three years ago.  I had an eye exam in June that determined that I was having double vision.  I had prisms put into my new glasses and could see clearly until this latest episode started.  My double vision is constant, but worst when looking down and to the right.  It's not uncommon for me to see 4 or more of things if they are too close to my face and when tracking, I see a trail of whatever the object is.
I've had double vision since the beginning of 2008. I'm un DX as well. As to the cause of the double vision though, the opthamologist say it's from eye muscle weakness. My eyes aren't perfectly lined up anymore, thus causing a double vision. This condidtion comes and goes throughout the day....or Some days I'll have it all day and other days I don't have any trouble at all.

Recently this symptom got worse and you can actually see the eyes not being lined up (but thank God it will only last hours).

HI,
I developed double vision three weeks ago. It just happens when I look to the extreme right and it is horizontal.
I've been having double vision in one eye only.  At first I thought it was my contacts, but recently I've noticed that it happens without them, too - it's just a lot harder to tell, because my eyesight's so bad.
I have double vision (both monocular and binocular). It is most noticeable to me in either dim light or very bright light. The monocular version happens in both eyes with it being one image slightly elevated above the other and is the cause of most of my bluered vision. It usually lasts a few days to a week or more. The binocular version seems to only happens once in a while when I get over tired. I suspect it is due to eye muscle weakness. It goes away after I have rested my eyes for several hours.  This is the worse kind of double vision as it messes up my eye sight so that bad I can do nothing at all.

Dennis
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with monocular double vision.  Mine is so clear, but only with bright white or high contrast images.
Hello...just found this board and am grateful for seeing others with similar symptoms for I am going for an MRI on Tues.

I am 35 y.o. relatively healthy female.

I saw my opth. in June 2009 after experiencing double vision in R eye for several months...he stated that I have had a "lazy eye" since childhood but somehow "have learned to compensate".

Went back last week after minimal improvement with new rx lenses...he states the R eye was "worse" and the MRI is a precaution to see if there is pressure on the optical nerve.

My history is that I've always had one eye that is near-sighted, one that is far-sighted (always a challenge to get that rx filled!) Started getting severe migraines around age 21 - often several times/week; possibly began with a Bell's Palsy or TIA but was never officially dx'd (just basing on symptoms after the fact). Have had particularly painful ocular migraines in the R eye over the past several months.

I wish luck to all of you and I'm just trying to get through the next few days alone without breaking down ;)
My first time with double vision lasted 7 days, until they put me on solumederal and it cleared up within 4 hours. I only get it in one eye, where ever the leision attacks my optic nerve. Second time, MRI showed leision on right optic nerve and again back on IV Steroids and eye was back in place within 2 hours.( with my double vision the affected eye wanders out of place, hence double vision. I looked like Marty Fieldman or Forrest Whittaker.) I have residual double vision now called Divergence innsufficency. It is where my double vision starts after 10 feet. since I am constanly moving my eyes keep bringing everything into focus, very tiring. If I sit still and stare at the TV or wall my eye will wander out, but if I change my gaze or get up and walk I am fine. Seeing 2 Seinfields and 2 Newmans *****. But if I look away and back again it is OK for a few seconds. Hope this helped.
Diagnosed w/ Clinically Isolated Syndrome.  I have double vision when looking to the left that began in Jan '09 and has not gone away.  Neuro-ophthamologist says it's due to cranial nerve IV palsy.
I had an episode of double vision that lasted for 3 weeks solid...then i suddenly went blind in one eye...currently awaiting an mri to see whats going on
I've had double vision for almost a year now. At first it was just once in a while where the second image was on top of the other. For the past 5 months it is 24/7 and there is a whole seperate image. I am unDX'd as well. I seen an optomitrist when it first started to happen. She didn't believe me. Then when it started to happen all the time, I knew then that I wasn't going crazy. Went to my doctor and he refered me to an opthamologist and booked an mri. Went to the hospital one night and tested me for diabetes, hyperthyroid. I have neither. Had a CT scan, it was normal.
Then seen the opthamologist, and he says everything seems fine from his point of view.
Seen a neurologist, and took my MRI and he said I have 2 "uncatergorized" bright spots on my scan. The scan was to look for MS but he never said anything about it, and refered me to a neuro opthamologist.

Wait time to see a neuro opthamologist is about 6 months. =(

I also find when it is hot I get disorriented, confused, and very weak.