Multiple Sclerosis Community
Who has been dx with poor prioproception by a PT?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Prioproception is the ability to know the location of your limbs in relation to your physical surroundings.

Mosby's Alternative Medicine defines it as  "The sense that deals with sensations of body position, posture, balance, and motion."

Anyway, I thought my balance and sense of body parts sensation was pretty much intact.
found out today , this isn't so. We ae workiing to re-train the brain to pick up on new clues to help with this deficit.

Who else has this problem? And what if any treatment have you done and was it successful?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Rendean
About 7 years ago, I experienced a couple of weeks where if my eyes were closed, I had no idea where my right forearm and hand were.  This occurred in the middle of high dose Solumedrol IV for 5 days and I was in a full blown exacerbation.  The good news;  it went away and hasn't come back.  

I hope the best for you!  

PT said I was positive for sharpened Romberg, meaning I can't stand well with my eyes closed and feet together.  ENG and VNG were both normal.  Not sure what implications that has for proprioception.  I am still undx, but i think they'll eventually tell me that my whole balance problem is central.  In other words, it's all in my head! ;)
I have this problem but no dx of such because I did touch my nose with my fingers on the "3" times it was tested.  But I continue to knock things over when I reach for them.  I run into walls, doors.  I hit my arms on things.  Bump furniture with my thighs.  I am always bruised.  I am always positive on the Romberg test.  I am taking balance training in PT,  That has helped some.
Thanks for your  answers. My Romberg is negative. What  brought forth the proprioception issues was a referral at my request for left leg weakness to PT. This is after 3 neuros noted no DTRs in the left patella and decreased muscle strength on their mini neuro exams. None of them suggested help in any form despite a history of syncope and repeated falls. Numbskulls!. Anyway, after visitng my elderly mom who could lift her leg into the car without assistance and I couldn't, I called and asked for the PT. I've had negative ENG and VNG testing as well due to dizziness. This is different. This is lack of sensation in my leg msucles and failure for them to send back the correct message to my brain. Guess this will be documented tomorow with the SSEP.

This is the point I'd like to make, one truly has to be your OWN advocate in this medical care business. Had I not requested help, I guess they would have waited until I split my
head open again. My PT gal is great!. She did a full exam and is concerned about a lot of deficits I was not aware of since apparently my body has slowly adjusted over the  years. Like saveone, I started balance training yesterday. Didn't realize I was such a "Weeble Wobble" until then.

Thank all of you for your input! I appreciate the feedback. Guess We'll put  this body back together , one piece at a time like Humpty Dumpty. Now "if I only had a brain..."
Neuro-pysch testing next week.

Thanks and best wishes to all,
Rendean
Somewhere in my doctors notes, it says positive romberg pupil.  Is that the same thing?
Just wondering                                                              be well all                 Linda
Sorry, i misspoke   it said positive romberg,  positive marcus.gunn pupil, i think