Why are two well know doctors disagreeing on my diagnosis of ms
My symptoms started in June of 2012 with tingling of the left arm and a feeling of a hard knot in my left leg. Went to my Huntington Beach GP at the time and she immediately sent me to the ER.  The did brain MRI, sonogram, angiogram of braim, chest x-rays, EKG, and many more blood tests.  Everything was fine. They did note that the brain MRI showed a few hyperintense lesions (non-specific)  within the pertiventricular white matter and deep white matter bilaterally.  They did not enhance on the postcontrast images. They said probably just my age which was 64.
Went home and two days later went to ER again with arm pain which was strange tingling pain and shortness of breath. Said it was anxiety.  This happened two more times where I called 911 because it was so bad.  Changed GP to a closer doctor. He gave be Ativan.  This turned out to be a horrible drug as it did make me feel better but ended up hooked on it and spent the next three months trying to wean myself off of it. Kept having arm pain but thought it was anxiety.  After I finally got off of the Ativan, I had burning of my  arms on the under side.  My doctor said I should see a neouralogist. He did emg nerve studies and did not really find anything wrong. Did cervical MRi and it was negative.  Kept having terrible pain in arms.  Did another MRI of brain and no change was seen aftter 6 months. They noted white matter non-specific as well.  Went to see about four more doctors (all neoualogist) and they said I did not present like I had MS.   I put off having a spinal tap but went ahead and had one even with the risk it entails.  The sp did not show obands but did show cfs IGG synthesis of 7.7 when normal was 0-3.5, IGG csf was 7.2 when normal was 0.5-6.1,albumin csf was 72.2 when normal was 0.5-6.1, IGG serum was 621 when normal was 694-1618, albumin index was 51 when normal was >130,RBC was high at 832. They said there was some contamination but they accounted for that. They said based on this test and symptoms, I probably had ms.
Took the results to two other doctors and they said they do not think I have ms and should have a lumbar MRI.

I wish they were right but continue too have arm pain shoulder pain and now leg pain in the back of my thighs.
These doctors are at UC Irvine and also at HOAG in Newport.  
I am so sick of this and wish I could get a diagnosis so I can get treatment
I'm not a doctor, so below is a link to a doctor, Quix a former pediatrician, that is on our forum that responded to the question of age-related white matter lesions.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Brain-lesions-caused-from-aging/show/554252

Look at the last response in the thread.  She does a really good job explaining the question.

Deb
Diagnosing MS is not easy and pursuing answers for a patient of our age is not for the weak because there is so much the doctors must look through-  I put together a health page on Differential Diagnosis that might be useful - be sure to follow the link and see if any of your other symptoms fit their categories

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/What-Neurologists-Must-Consider/show/1219?cid=36

Whatever is wrong with you, don't let the doctors dismiss you because of your age or sex.  Too often older women are patted on the head and sent home.  
Laura