Multiple Sclerosis Community
Why do my feet hurt all the time?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Why do my feet hurt all the time?

I noticed a year ago that my feet are hurting especially in the morning and I don't know why. The doctor gave me muscle relaxers but they make me ...out of it and I have 3 babies to take care of. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Tags: feet
Yes I know what you are talking about.  Sometimes it hurts to get out of bed and put my feet on the floor.  After over a decade diagnosed with MS, no one has actually been able to tell me what causes this, but to tell me that alot of people with MS complain about the same thing.

I know of no medication specifically for this symptom.  Montel Williams, who you may or may not remember, as having a talk show and MS, says that his feet give him his worst pain.

The muscle relaxants do make your groggy, but sometimes I have to take them in order to get some all over body relief when my pain medication is not working well.  The relaxants give me a chance to rest.  I realize that is hard for you having three kids to watch over.  

Maybe taking one at night before you go to bed, will be helpful to you.  Hope other Forum members come along with more advice.  Hope you feel better.

Best Wishes,
Heather
I had a year of that - my feet hurt like the bottoms were bruised, or like I was walking on rocks.  My honey would rub on them to get the muscles in them to relax, but they'd be back the next day.  I think they were just spastic.
There is a condition known as plantar fasciitis, in which the ligament (tendon?  I get those mixed up all the time) that covers much of the underside of the foot, keeping all those bones and muscles in synch, becomes inflamed.  Just like tendonitis, the pain can be intense, and is really hard to relieve.  Mine went away when I switched to a job that required me to be on my feet less, or at least allowed me to walk on grass, dirt, carpet, etc. rather than concrete floors, as I had been when this condition developed.  One of the things that my doc at the time told me was characteristic of the problem was foot pain in the morning.  As the tendon relaxes overnight, it seems to resist being stretched even more in the morning (though lately that's true of my whole body, it seems).  Just a thought.
I don't know if you like natural herbs or vitamins, but I have found more calcium (with magnesium in 2:1 ratio) as well as lots of brewers yeast which is very high is B vitamins, thus helpful to nerve growth and strength, is often preferable to drugs once you start on a program.  You should see a difference in a few days and big difference in a few weeks.  I hate the taste of brewers yeast, so I buy nutrional yeast pills and just eat by the handfuls.  There is no taste to them.  Just a thought.