Multiple Sclerosis Community
Why does my body feel so heavy when I haven't gained any weight

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I'm 125 pounds, but feel like I've gained 50 pounds in the past few days.  I can't walk anymore and use a scooter everyday around the house.  I use an Invacare Essential cushion and bought a Stimulite Honeycomb cushion which numbs my legs because it's too high for the scooter.  Even in bed I sink down on the mattress.  I can't get comfortable anymore and feel so alone.  Do any of you have this problem and why is it happening? My left hand doesn't work well and I feel only my brain works well.  Im a single mom supporting a house, retired from teaching and do not want a live in. I hire help for the cooking and laundry, but like to be independent.
Hi Sandra

Don't feel alone,I felt for you when I read that part.

I know how you feel because Im not having a good week feeling very low and just fed up with all the symptoms.

Have you been diagnosed?

Are you on any medication?

Warm Regards Terrie
Yes I've been diagnosed with MS. I'm just on Baclofen and Zanoflex. Copaxone,Novantrone, and Gammo Gobulin didn't work over the years. Thanks for your support. I hope you feel better too.
Sandie

Just a thought - can you be fitted by a PT professional for the cushion?  Perhaps there is something that can be done to adjust it so its not hitting your legs in the wrong spot.  

As for feeling heavier, there are times when I feel like I weight a ton - I would be happy to-just feel 50 pounds more!! :-)  Its a serious drag on the energy level, isn't it?

Sorry  I can't be of more help to you.

Have a good night,
Laura
Hi, This might be muscle fatigue, It can feel like you are carrying a sack of potatoes strapped to your legs or arms, sometimes both. I was told this was due to the spasms?? but you have to remember this was 23 years ago, and maybe they have come up with a new reason for this heavy feeling...
Don't know if this helps or not.. I hope I didn't add to the confusion
ShadowsSister
Hi, I'm sorry I missed you when you stopped by.  I hope you are still reading and being a part of us.

I am new (2 years) to MS, but I know the sensations you speak of.  I, too, sometimes feel suddenly heavy.  It seems like I sink down further on the mattress and such because my muscles won't let me shift around and try to get comfortable.  So it feels like the mattress is rising up around me and holding me down.  Is that what it is like for you?

Also, it might be that your pattern of spasms has changed and your usual positions are just not comfortable.  Have you discussed this with your doc?  Perhaps a PT eval might be able to see where you are not moving as well.  Just because you are far into your disease course does not mean that new evaluations might not find some new solutions.

I understand the intrusiveness of having a live-in helper and would not want that for me either.  I am more mobile than you, but my sister lives with me and helps maintain my house.  How old are your kids?

Quix