Worried if I have MS
Hello everyone,

I have been really worried about a lot of things happening with my body lately. Two months ago I was diagnosed with subacute thyroiditis. My endocrinologist said my thyroid would resolve itself so I was relieved. I was put on calcium channel blockers for those two months to regulate symptoms (had a small reaction to beta blockers, so I discontinued use of those) So this brings me to where I am now. About 2 and a half weeks ago I stared experiencing pressure between my eyes and the bridge of my nose, I was having concentration issues and trouble focusing ( sometimes when I would try to focus on an object, my eyes would flutter from left to right real quick). A couple days after that I was hit with the worst bout of insomnia. Every time I would try to fall asleep I would get myoclonic jerks in my body (all over body, sometimes just an arm or leg) that kept me up all night. This kept happening every night and led me in a circle of bad insomnia. Even when I can fall asleep I can only stay asleep for an hour or two max and usually drenched in sweat. During this cycle, I also started getting muscle twitches all over my body at night, and over the course of days has spilled into having all day long too. Recently I noticed a slight numb/burning sensation over my forehead that comes and goes. I have been very depressed and have had cognitive problems which I thought was just due to exhaustion and lack of sleep. I also have felt a weakness in my left arm (right above my armpit) that make my arm feel weak and I have been getting a lot more itchy. I went to my doctor an he told me it was depression and prescribe some anti-deppressants (I also have an MRI scheduled in a couple days, just in case). I have never felt any symptoms quite like this before and It feels like It just hit me all at once. I'm sorry for being very naive, but can you experience MS symptoms one after another like this in the span of two weeks? Thank you very much for your time.

-R
Hi there,

I wouldn't think what you are experiencing is due to something like MS, MS doesn't typically present as you've described, so to answer your question i'd say no.

What you are describing does sound more like thyroid sx's to me, although experiencing myoclonic jerks as you are falling asleep isn't necessarily abnormal but if you're constantly being woken up through out the night by it, then it could possibly be an indication of something like sleep apnea is happening.

Both sleep apnea and thyroid issues can cause difficulty with sleeping and depression, so i'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to see if either are causing you these additional problems.

Cheers........JJ

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Around the time I started getting my symptoms 2 and a half weeks ago, I also had blood work done to check my thyroid (which came back normal). I will consult with my doctors to see if something like sleep apnea is the culprit. My tinnitus has been really loud lately, and i've been experiencing stabbing pains in my left leg and arm. I wonder if these things could be linked?

Thank you,
-R