Would you take/smoke marijuana?
I dont know if this is an unusual question or if it has been discussed before, but I couldnt find much on this subject in this forum.

For numbnessand loss of co-ordination (in the limbs), would you consider taking marijuana (medical) or smoking a joint if you had access to it?

I am not asking about the euphoria effect, I am asking from a therapeutic perspective.

Any thoughts?
I tried it a couple of times for neuropathic pain and it only made me stoned.  

There is evidence it does help some patients with pain.

I've heard of no claims that it alleviates numbness, in my experience there is nothing that really helps with numbness, once it becomes chronic.

I believe the only othe claim, that I can't speak to, is that it helps relieve spasticity.

I've tried Cesmet, with is a synthetic version of the cannabinoids found in pot.  It also made me stoned.  It did help ease my pain somewhat.  I save it for nights when the pain intefees with my sleep.

I also tried Sativex, also a synthetic cannabinoid.  Had to stop as I couldn't tolerate the taste and it was damaging the tissue in my mouth.
There has been quite a bit of discussion here.  Edibles and vaporizer are my choice.  I am also open with my neurologist about it and he agrees it can be useful.  It seem to help my spasticity when Baclofen is not enough.

I quit smoking 25+ years ago, so I can't see going back to smoking it.

Bob
geez, sorry for the typos.  Speaking of numbness, my hands are always numb.
I have a couple of friends with MS who are using marijuana for pain relief and it appears to be helping them.  We've talked about this a lot between my friends.  

For as much as I've heard how it helps my friends, I would not even consider using it while I am still working.  I would lose my security clearance and subsequently my job.  So, it is not an option for me at this time.  
I have used this on one occasion when I was hurting very bad and my pain pills where doing nothing... It helped me a lot... I didn't take a whole lot because I didn't want to get high just relief... The spasms and jerking in my legs actually stopped and it was wonderful for a while...

I did tell my doctor about this too and he just laughed at me and told me that if it helped then have at it but I didn't hear that from him...lol  I've only done it that 1 time but I felt really guilty because I have a teenage son that it would kill me if he ever found out...

I guess there are times we do what we need to do to find relief... I do know that if it is ever legalized in my state I will be asking for it...

Blessings to all,
Carol
One more thing I forgot to say... I truly hope that nobody looks down on me for this or that I haven't lost friends over it...

Carol
Carol - I certainly hope no one looks down at you!  That would be ridiculous.  Taking marijuana for pain is no different than taking oxycontin (or whatever it's called!) or morphine.  I haven't used it for pain, but I have talked to my teenagers about it, and they think that for pain it is fine.

I haven't tried any since highschool (!) and I never was a druggie....so my question to those who use it is how do you take it so you don't have to smoke it?  I would HATE to do that.  Would seem silly to wreck my health to improve my health lol!

Also, are you guys all using legal sources?  I would be terrified to have something laced with LSD or some weird thing.  That's what kept me straight when I was a kid too!

Corina

I don't know if it helps, or just makes the symptoms easier to deal with.  It seems to help somewhat with spasticity, and I have a lot more pinprick pains when I'm out of smoke.  I know that in the mornings, I am so sluggish and have no energy or motivation - all I want to do is lay on the couch and sleep some more.  Then I take my 'medicine' and suddenly I have enough energy to tackle the day.

My husband thinks it helps - he can see the difference.  All I know is that my one major exacerbation (took me three years to recover from it) happened after we had been out for a month.
I think the real difficulty is finding somebody you trust.  I have a friend who uses the same person, and has for years.  I also know somebody else who has really good stuff, but it's very expensive.  Really, it's just a plant.  There's no point in putting chemicals in it - it would change the flavor, and it would make it more expensive than it is.  The real struggle is finding good quality.
That's interesting about energy.  I hadn't heard that.  If you take it in the morning, does it mess with your brain too much?  From what I remember, it would slow me down, not speed me up.  

That's why i was thinking about taking it before bed.  Unfortunately, I now live in a community where I know no one, and not anyone I could trust.  I use to live in British Columbia and in a community where you'd be hard pressed to find people who DIDN'T have some - and usually grew themselves.

Corina
This is Colorado, so I just drive to the local medical marijuana center and buy what I need.  There is an analytic lab here in Denver, that most shops use, that specifies the TCH and CBD levels, presence of mold or chemical tainting.  It is very civilized here.

Bob
I think it helps with pain, spasticity, and fatigue. Consequently I am a strong supporter of medical legalization :-D
If they ever legalize it, I would consider it because I do hate the pain caused from spasticity.  I couldn't afford losing my job.  
I would use it if I thought it would help my symptoms. I have a balance problem and I'm afraid I would be even worse. I absolutely think it should be ok for medical reasons. But I know a lot of people who use it for a bad shoulder or ankle. I am skeptical of those people and feel that they make people with MS or Cancer look bad.

People have a predisposition about it. I agree with what someone else said- it's better than having to take narcotics. I avoid those at all costs.

Grannyhotwheels- no one should ever make you feel bad about this. You're an awesome lady!

Kristi
@Carol - I'd never look down on you for taking marijuana, whether medicinal or in a joint...personally I feel that if it works for you, then do it and if no one can understand that that is their problem in understanding, it is not your problem to justifying anything to anyone. And I agree with Kristi (Starryeyes), you're awesome :)

@Kristi - I totally agree, if it helps, then use it. However yes, watch your balance. I'd recommend that - if you can - whenever you take it in any form, sit or lie down and just chill. Sorry for my over-simplified explanation.

I do have to say though, that I'm a regular smoker of marijuana (the joint ones) and I am not sure if this has led to my recent flare-up, so for now while my flare is ongoing, I've stayed away from the smoking (cigarettes as well), just in case.
I'm not sure this is helping with the numbness. The main use for MM is for pain control and spasticity.  As for the balance, it might compound the problem.

I don't think ongoing use of marijuana is going to cause you to be in a flare, though.

Good luck in figuring this out.
Lulu
I have serious balance issues, so I have to be very careful.  But I have issues with leg weakness if I sit still for any length of time.

As for messing with my brain, I'm really not sure.  I actually haven't noticed any cognitive problems.  I will say that they keep doing research, and keep finding cognitive defects in people who smoke mj vs. people who do not.  But so far I haven't seen a study that reliably measures cognitive problems before smoking mj, and then measures them after.  So far it's all been statistical data.  I think one study simply took people who smoked and people who did not and gave them cognitive exams.  That's not really a very good study in my opinion.

So the real question is, are the benefits of mj worth possible cognitive decline, or the risk of getting caught?  I'd rather just move to Colorado and get a mmj card!  Hmm....