Multiple Sclerosis Community
Zapping surges through head,

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Zapping surges through head,

Hi, as some of you will already know i added a post recently with my concern in having surges through my head, it is now 4.00 in the morning i cant sleep, i went to bed and after lying there for a while everything seemed fine suddenly i was to jump right up and i mean i jumped up after i had this sudden like zapping surge shoot right through my head and in to both my ears with a very sudden loud beepy tone, this noise was only a very short time but was very loud, the surge was very fast but yes zappy like in nature, this really made me jump up also my wife jumped up beside me to ask if i was ok, i have had the experience of these before but not like this one with that loud bleepy tone noise in the ears, this was over in no time, what an experience, my head was aching afterwards

i carried on laying down thinking things would settle then i had atleast another three to follow this but even though they seemed like zappy surges they did not give me the loud ear thing and they seemed to be in different areas, another strange thought zappy yes, its a word i picked up from Quix and it seems to fit the experience, i was stuck for words to describe these earlier and you know what the strange thing is itn seems as though you can hear these zapping through feelings even when it doesnt seem as though it is in my ears very strange all this although i did have the lightest kinda strange high frequency noise in ma ears and as though my hearing was maybe quite not there but yet it was if ya kinda know what i mean, i aint good at  putting things in to words, bit of a problem with me im afraid but i do ma best

this might sound frightening etc but the strange thing is i am not frightened by this at all, concerned yes, think i was more so a little frightened the first time, hey i will just zap em back they dont call me the shooting star for nothing ya know, fastest slinger in outerspace

joking aside, yes a very strange experience indeed, i will discuss this with my doc later on, hurray i finally get to see my doc, i wonder what joy this will bring, what do you think about this and has anyone else experienced a similar kinda thingy, thankyou for taking the  time to read this post

David.
Just to add when i say not frightened, scared , getting maself worried etc what i mean is whether i like it or not this is happening to me and everything else so i am taking things on board in a different manner so to speak and i know i have all you wonderful special people right there with me too and the same for you that everyone is right beside you also take care luv yas

David.
Hi David,  I have read your post before.  I get the vibrating zap through my head too.  It lasts about three seconds and sometimes I have to actually hold my head until it passes.  Most unnerving.  The first time it happened to me I was driving and my left eye went blind.  (This was about ten years ago, and only lasted about afew seconds.)  It's gross.  Let me know what your Dr. says.  God bless you, Amy
Hi Amyloo, thanks its nice to know that i aint the only one with this, i thought people would think i was bonkers telling them this and it is very hard to explain, i can explain most things but this is one of those ones thats just gets ya not so easy to say how it feels but its like how you said it does feel like a vibrating zapp thats the word i was maybe looking for thanks and it does only last say 3 seconds

when i was trying to explain about seems as though you can hear it think its more so the vibrating feel it that has helped me loads its not hard for me to get confused with things at the moment but it was the first time i had that real loud noise in ma ears thought it was gonna blow ma ear drums out lol

let you know what the doc says probably not be of much use but Quix says sounds like what a lot of people with ms report as brain zaps thanks for that Amyloo

take care luv David.
VIBRATING ZAPPY SURGE!  ANYONE OVERHEARING ME TALKING ABOUT THAT MIGHT GET THE WRONG IDEA LOL!
I have heard others describe these explosive zaps through theri heads.  I still don't know what they are, but "You are not Alone."  Sounds like Fox Mulder.

Quix
Those zappy feelings are quite strange, and can be uncomfortable.  They are hard to describe, but well understood by someone who has had them.  I used to get them, but fortunately once my insomnia was put in check (thanks to Ambien) they finally stopped.  The lack of sleep can really throw your system off and I have found that sleep is a wonderful thing.  

Don’t know if this helps, but I do understand what you are talking about.

Wanna
I know what you mean too.  It's a strange and wierd sensation bit like l'hermittes sign but a lying down version.  Feels like an electric shock, but goes within seconds.  As 'Want to feel well' has said maybe some sleeping tabs for a short time may help??

Debs.
Yes, I too have been zapped in the head. I have had hundreds in my left arm, but a few weeks ago I now get them in the head. Not with the extras like you did though. I am sorry you experienced this. I don't have any answers yet (still awaiting diagnosis) but just wanted to offer  the reply that you are not alone.

Suzanne
I get the zappies in my head, too, as well as in arms, hands, legs and feet.  It's completely awesome, isn't it?  I also get these great  muscle spasm-type things in the back of my head.

Yay for insomnia via MS.  When you find a way to sleep through those, let me know.
Thankyou to everyone who has responded to my post, i wont answer all individually right now as i am totally cream crackered, yes it is very strange experiencing these types of symptoms its nice to know you are not alone in all this and if i ever get anymore info i will let u all know

Suzanne i am also in Limbo Land and currently undiagnosed and its certainly not a nice place to be especially when you have so many things going on so i pray that we all get some answers to our current situations in the near future, hang in there girl

Ah Quixy Fox Mulder yes it certainly does bare the resemblance, if i begin to investigate alien activities and i have illuminous green urine then you will have to rediagnose me lol

Wanna & Debs yep sleeping pills i dont really know about that to be honest but i am currently on Amitryptiline which also helps me to sleep okay so not sure about that one thanks for the input ladies

Treebranches soz dont know ya name, crikey you do get the zappies indeed, well and truly zapped, i'll come and help ya zap em back, you zap mine and i'll zap yours lol hows that, the spasms in the back of the head must be a strange experience hope things improve for you take care

bye all of you take care i'm half asleep right now, night night watch the zappies dont bite if they bite squeeze them tight and leave them there till another night

David.

I get zappy surges, also.  I know this sounds weird, but, sometimes I wake up with either my body going into a spasm like it has been electrocuted or else sometimes I wake up thinking that I heard a knocking at the door.  I had it for the first time awake after getting out of a warm (probably too warm) shower.  I could not get dressed fast enough to get to the door.  Noone was there when I got there.  So, I am unsure if it was a weird brain zap or really someone that I missed.  Anyone else experience such a phenomenon?
Hi need, sounds like you have had maybe effects from heat intolerance after the hot shower, cant be nice for you wakening up feeling like that, i wake feeling awful as if i cant and dont want to move especially with my head and lower back takes me a while to kinda get to grips with things first thing and to get going, i feel crappy when i first wake i'm all over the place, the zappy surges are very strange happened to me a few times but that was the first with the loud noise in ears i guess maybe it depends on where its zapping ya

the knocking at the door thing or the knocking noise thats a strange one maybe someone else has experienced something similar

take care
David.
Before I was diagnosed over the last few years I was asleep when I got these knocking noises.  I mean, I would get out of bed in the middle of the night and get further dressed and go check the door.

This time was the first time it happened so loudly I heard it in the shower.  But, the shower was feeling nice to me so it was probably too warm.  Otherwise I usually get the continual ringing.  I have had it for over a year.  But, when I went to the hospital in December for the morphine IV, the headache became so much better and most of the ringing has resolved.  I can tell things are starting to come back, but so far it has been the best that it has been in a long time.  I would just go get these narcotics more often if I knew that they would always have this effect.  Makes me wonder how much is migraines or what.  The neurorad thinks I may be experiencing recurrent encephalomyelitis and an atypical MS.  But, no infection has ever been found when my spinal fluid and blood were tested.

Have any other thoughts?  Good to hear from you.  I hope that you are doing better!
Oh, the neurorad actually talked to me on the phone from the hospital because she said that they all think my spinal MRI lesions are weird.  Anyway, she thought that it seemed that my immune system might be hyperactive.  I asked her if it could be from my chemical exposure and around the end of last year she said, "Yes, but she would need to know what chemicals I have been exposed to."  That is an ongoing battle in the courts for me.

Anyway, take care and have some fun!!!  

P.S.  I really like you and your sweetie's picture!  
Hi need, will you please tell me your name, firstly when you mentioned about the knocking noises in the middle of the night you put a sudden thought in my head ha ha i will tell you, i just thought about when i was younger and i was suddenly awoke in the middle of the night by what seemed to be knocking noises, well me being half asleep jumping up getting dressed rushing down the stairs to answer the door thinking i had slept in for work then to answer the door to see Vikki standing there my now wife, she had been throwing stones,pebbles at my bedroom window to wake me, i lived at home with my mam and dad at time, so i thought i was off to work but was relieved to know it was the middle of the night, she then used to sneak in with me, so i certainly was not hearing knocking noises, there was knocking noises lol

i cant imagine what you must feel by this knocking noise, you will have to tell me more or maybe it is very hard to explain what it is like, i had hoped others may have given their thoughts on this for you or that others may have had the same experiences, we will have to wait and see, i know what you mean sometimes you dont know what to think, am i really hearing this, is this really happening etc

i wonder if the warm shower did have some effect on this for it to be much louder than usual maybe or maybe not, i get the ringing in ma ears too just recently but no knocking just those zappy surges, if i start knocking i will let you know

i'm so pleased that things are better for you right now, lets hope it stays this way and continues to improve, i wish i had some input to give you but i am new to all of this myself, thats very interesting what the neurorad said to you concerning the spinal lesions, with some more in-depth info i hope you get more answers concerning this

you mentioned about the migraines i have one right now affecting the left back quarter of my head, this aint a migraine it really hurts nothing like a migraine and i was getting a few sensations on the left to go with it not to worry see how it goes i am used to getting these things now

anyway yes you take care too and have some fun!!!

and we are really pleased you like the picture and it is really nice of you to say you liked it lotsa luv take care hugs

David.

Hello; I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby and about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing those zapping head surges; they feel like electricity or blood flow shooting through my head; but last only about 2 seconds..  The first few times it happened; I chalked it up to anxiety and stress, but then it happened about 8 times in 1 day.  I was so nervous that I left work and went to the ER; only for them to tell me that it was probably panic attacks because all my vital signs were normal and I had suffered from panic attacks in the past.  They told me to follow up with my OB, who then referred me to a Neurologist.. She suggesed I have an MRI because she has never heard of this before.   I know this is NOT related to panic attacks... I can't stand the fact that these Dr.'s are so quick to jump to conclusions because they don't want to take the time to look into something that they can't understand.  I am even more nervous now because I am very close to my delivery date; and I want to know what is going on with my head before I deliver this baby.  I am suffering from insomnia these days due to pregnancy; and have very low blood pressure; but it seems to me that this is something else.  If anyone comes up with a diagnosis; PLEASE LET ME KNOW ... so that I can run it by my Dr. as well.  I hope you all feel better soon.
Thanks,
JoJo
Hello David,

I get those "zaps" too. And sometimes I have the "audible hallucinations" too. At first it scared the hell out of me. It was always just the one big zap and/or noise -- for me it sounds like a very loud cell phone "ring".

It happens as I am falling asleep when it does happen.

My nuero just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said he has heard other people mention the same thing. He didn't think it was anything that would kill me.....

Good Luck!
OMG,I am having these to, for about 4 months now..been to my doc and to the hospitals back and forth,its like they dont believe me..its driving me crazy,I dont know what to do, i have them everyday and now they are going down my arms and im having this burning sensation in my upper back..If anyone finds out something PLEASE POST IT...
The zzapps remind me of the scene in Men in Black where Jay (Will Smith) touches that floaty energy thingy and it proceeds to bounce all around the room zzapping everything it hits. Yeah, zzapps.

Read Quix's Health Page
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Paresthesias---Things-That-Go-BUZZ-in-the-Night/show/378?cid=36
Then find another Dr. and cautiously probe to see if they understand paresthesia. It can be both a symptom and sometimes a diagnosis.

Best wishes. Knowledge helps to reduce the worry.
TimC
I get the zappy things in my head too, mine is I am sure a form of migraine, when things misfire, but the sound show that you get with it could be the aura part of the migraine too? Some people do get a migraine aura that affects their hearing.  Just a thought, but hey I think the MS population is used to having things short circuit so perhaps it could be to do with that as well
Good luck.
Hi, thank you all for posting these thoughts....even if noone knows the answer I dont feel like a freak anymore. I have lupus,rhuem arth and fibro, they just cant figure me out. I am taking effexor because anxiety and fibromialgia (fibromyalgia) go hand in hand and it seems to help a TON! I have had these brain pain surges here and there for about 5 months but last night and this morning....wow!!! They happen almost every 5 minutes. I think I'll go for an MRI today so they can send me home undiagnosed and a script for ibuprofin. Anyways if in the rare case they find something (like a lodged crayon in my head) I'll post the results back to you. Thank you all so much and God Bless!
I get the knocking noises at night too, keep us posted!  Tried sending you msg but it wouldn't give me a code
I just found this site and thank God.  I started having this zapping over 2 years ago.  I was on strong pain meds and paroxitine up until last Sunday bad news for me.  The zapping never stops.  I move my eye and zap. My head don't hurt right away, but in the first hour of the day I am already overwhelmed and it is so hard to get all my doctors to Liston to me. I really have a hard time talking calmly or in order.   My brain is being fried has anyone been given any answers, or help for?
Welcome Dee.  This is an old thread.  Why don't you post a new question so people respond to you and not to the original poster on this thread.

Julie
Im sorry you are going through this. I have had it since 2003 after the birth of our son. Had some panic attacks that went along with it. Went to see a neurologist. He did CT scan  etc. found nothing so he put me on paxil for the anxiety. Know what, it took the zapping away...a bandaid though. So for 8 years I have been on it. My husband and I decided that I would try going off it 2 months ago...consulted doctor, etc. Went off it and it was torture!! Eight days I went without meds and I thought I would go insane! Started paxil back up and its gone! Praise God! Went to neuro last week and she did an eeg. Waiting for results. Leaning on God, praying for wisdom and complete healing. Will be praying for you as well. chinocoffee
My neurologist said they are a variation of the l'hermitte's sign- provided they have ruled out seizures for you.  I get them at various times, and sometimes they are bad enough to make me lose my balance if I am standing at the time.  

My doctor doesn't seem too worried about them, except to add them to the list of reasons I shouldn't drive anymore.

Tammy
i get them too was so scared i get seizures was told they can cause that feeling felt like i was crazy so didnt want to tell my neuro but said could be possible cause try not to worry jus make appointment with your doc asp good luck
I get it too...almost daily and sometimes intermittently throughout the day. Most times it's just that zapping noise/buzzing sensation inside my head/ears. Other times I get a quick burst of numbness WITH IT in my right foot. Sometimes if I'm standing when it happens I get disoriented and almost lose my balance. I actually fell a few times from it so I have to be careful. I HAVE had it happen out of nowhere when I'm laying down very still but most of the time it happens when I'm in an upright position and it is always worse when I exercise. Have to hold on tight to the elliptical!

I call it "The Light Sabre"...that's what it sounds like when I fee/hear it in my head! LOL

I don't know what it is; my neuro didn't have much to say about it (like most things I report to him...ugh...) Anyway, a variation of L'Hermetes sounds accurate but who knows. It's weird and scary!