Multiple Sclerosis Community
a bit of history & a question (rabies vaccination)

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dear friends,

I would like to describe certain event that happened in my life and see if we get more clarity...

This dates back to some 20 years back. I had sudden onset of no control over my leg movements
in a certain position. For example, everything was completely normal except when I lift
my leg to climb etc., I would simply fall down. At the same time, I also developed a bit of
stiffness in my back (I realize this only in retrospect). I had visits to doctor who described
this as exam fear etc. After a month or so, the issue resolved by itself, no medicines whatsoever.
Till today, I have wondered what was that issue. When my MS was diagnosed, I started thinking
if this was the first sign of MS attack then.
Yesterday, after following so many links I finally arrived at a link which described symptoms
of Transverse myelitis which looked similar to what I experienced earlier. This did not surprise me
much except that one of the reason for the onset of Transverse Myelitis is rabies vaccine in olden
days (apparently new rabies vaccine do not have this issue). I remembered that I had vaccination
for rabies before this episode. I started thinking if my MS trigger is also due to this rabies vaccination.
One thing we all know is that rabies has devastating effect on central nervous system. So the vaccine
(if not attenuated properly) can have the same effect. Now we also know that MS too has impact on
CNS.

I would like to know from you all members if any of you too had rabies vaccination. If yes, did you
see onset of symptoms related to CNS misbehavior after that. It is possible that MS is not related
to this at all. Probably we already have a less than normal CNS or immune system and it shows up
in multiple ways. It is possible that there is a trigger to all this and probably rabies vaccine is that trigger.

Would appreciate to know what others think!

Regards
Here in the US the rabies vaccine is not a standard immunization and is usually only given if you are bitten or in contact with a suspected rabid animal.  

If you look below your question at the RELATED DISCUSSIONS you will find a few other conversations about this connection.  If you click on any of those, you will be taken directly to that post.

I hope this helps,

be well,
Lulu

Thats the case in India too.
I was vaccinated after a dog bite.
So it looks like there is no pattern of MS symptoms emergence after rabies vaccination.

Thanks, take care ...
I think so.  But I'm no expert.  Many medications can trigger "latent" disease or outright cause disease.  I don't think that there is one single cause of MS.  And I believe there are many variants of MS.

That's what I think for what it's worth and I recognize it's not worth much.  
No, I agree with you. Actually I was trying to understand if rabies vaccination invariably leads to MS or MS like symptoms, or if there is at least a pattern. Looks like that is not the case. Not everyone who has MS has had rabies vaccination. At the same time, not everyone who has had rabies vaccination has developed MS. So it looks like some people have predisposition and external triggers complete the loop. I have actually gone through some literature and looks like it is only now that medical community is serious about vaccine triggering some CNS issues. Maybe this will help to understand MS better.