Multiple Sclerosis Community
alcohol
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

alcohol

i have recently been diagnosed with ms and am on several meds for pain and baclofen at night.  i have been told to
carry on living my life as before work etc.  can i still enjoy a night out with alcohol? thanks chez
Blank
1578551_tn?1318071510
You surely should not drink any alcohol at all while taking pain medication, or any medication for that matter.
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
198419_tn?1360245956
Hi Chezza - sorry for the dx :(

In terms of lifestyle - you absolutely should not deny yourself those pleasures that bring a smile to your face. But, pain meds, and alcohol can be lethal.

Please abide by those printouts/instructions/prescribing info that come from the pharmacy or pharm company.
We've not met - so hello to you.
And, will you be starting a DMD for your MS?
-Shell
Blank
293157_tn?1285877039
Hi there, I find when I have a drink of alcohol I can't drink that many.  I find it take less drink to  get a buzz, so be careful if you are going to go out and drink.  I used too, can't anymore.  One or two is my limit.

I also get a headache the next day only after one or two, so drink alot of water if you going to have more then one.. OK

take care
wobbly
Blank
1578551_tn?1318071510
You surely should not drink any alcohol at all while taking pain medication, or any medication for that matter.
Blank
HI and welcome to our forum.

My suggestion is to read all the inserts that come with your meds to find out whether alcohol is contraindicated.. Sometimes it's a matter of increased drowsiness, sometimes it's more serious. Then check with your doctor. If you explain that this is a once in a while thing and you'll limit yourself to 2 at most, spread out over several hours, you might get an okay. Drink tall drinks with lots of mixer, and nurse them. That is, if your doc agrees. Don't drive afterwards.

We DO have to have a life, after all. Best of luck to you.

ess
Blank
1312898_tn?1314571733
yes, you should carry on with your life as it was before the diagnosis.  Baclofen  is a muscle relaxant and most certainly shouldn't be mixed with alcohol.

Red
Blank
1045086_tn?1332130022
Go ahead and enjoy the night out.  Check with your doc to see if he thinks adding alcohol is alright (be sure to remind him of the medications he has prescribed for you).

Personally, I stopped drinking when I realized MS caused plenty enough off-balance walking, slowed cognition, thick speech, blurry vision, and unreliable reaction times.  MS also limits my activity so much that even small portions of nutritious calories pack on extra pounds.  

Empty calories are hard for me to justify these days.  I will occasionally take a taster sip of hubby's alcoholic beverage.  Otherwise, I've lost my desire to use alcohol to reproduce MS-type symptoms I struggle to relieve when sober.

Mary
Blank
So hysterical!!!  I just recently well in May when I had my first episode, stopped drinking alcohol completely.  My reasoning was the EXACT same as yours.  Why pay to get the same symptoms that I am trying to get rid of???

Your post made me laugh....Thanks.
Blank
thanks nice to talk to you all , never been on a forum before, my friends are unaware that i have ms, am blagging that have bad back hense the wobble and limp/ two drinks and and look a total drunk these days many thanks for advise
Blank
thanks have now been told drink in moderation but will probably quit, thanks for getting back to my first post on the forum.

chezza
Blank
my weight has increased massively lol i smiled at the empty calories phrase as my life is a constant empty calorie, am working on it tho,  thanks for getting back to me my first forum post new to all this xx
chezza
Blank
thanks wobbly, i get your drift why make the wobble worse? sometimes just want to escape it tho. thanks for making me smile.  chezza
Blank
1394601_tn?1328035908
I admit I tried taking a nice long sip that ended up being an entire glass of Long Island Iced Tea.  I did not take pain meds with it fearing a bad outcome.  However, it was the last alcoholic drink for me.  I was sicker than ever.  Meds and alcohol just don't mix.

Dang it!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank