Multiple Sclerosis Community
anemia

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

anemia

I am not sure if this is good or bad yet but its an answer. I am not sure if I have talked at all about this but I know that I wasnt really sure what to ask really and it could just be the MS.

My Dr.' office returned my call yesterday and i am anemic...thats really all I know until I see the Dr.  But I said I would start taking iron supp. and they said "fine".  So I will start as soon as I my husband can go to the store.

It explains why I am so dead tired, I kept thinking it might just be MS but it felt different.  I willl move my appt up with my DR.
He is not one to talk to me on the phone and he also doesnt give out a lot of information.  Although he did go over my last lab results with me.

But at the same time he said I should have another colonoscopy, its time anyway.

Anyone else experience enemia ??

hugs, meg

Hi, Meg. If they're okay with your taking iron supplements, then I assume you have iron deficiency anemia, but there are other kinds. You really need to discuss this in person with your doctor and find out what's going on.

I don't think iron deficiency happens too often in older women, but if it does, you sure can feel tired from it---that and recovering from pneumonia.

Get a copy of all your lab reports, and work on seeing your doctor as soon as you can.

Hugs to you too,

ess
Well it is not good...but it is surely better to have one answer that explains your exhaustion which could also be put down to recovering from pneumonia and MS. Hopefully if you get the right levels of iron back in your body this will  help you feel less tired but I agree with Ess that you need to look at this in more detail. Why are you anaemic is what I would be asking? (and not so much of the older women Ess...young at heart is what I think!)

I am sure you know that the downside of taking iron supplements and they will bung you up so make sure that you do what is necessary to help your body not get constipated. Prunes, apricots and lots of fluid! Brings back memories of life after giving birth.....

Love Sarah x

Have you had any rectal bleeding lately?  I have had it long term off and on and had occult blood testing that came back positive.  Colonoscopy only revealed an internal hemorrhoid; and endoscopy, esophagitis and gastritis, but didn't show ulcers.  But the long term bleeding can cause iron to go low.  It happened to me and I'm a few years out from a complete hysterectomy, so it wasn't menstrual bleeding causing the iron to dip. My doctor says ferritin (iron stores) is the best indicator of how your iron is in your body, so when you get follow up testing for your iron, be sure your doctor orders that test!
I have done my homework as far as I can go...
I only know its low because I did have had lab tests last week because he was concerned.  I did ask about the iron and was told how much to take.  I dont take things unless I know what I am doing.

But thats all I know until my follow up appt.  He did ask me to schedule a colonoscopy, which I am doing.
oops, i want finished..

My next appt will be next Tuesday, unless there is an earlier cancellation

I am concerned about the bleeding. But my poo doesnt appear black., at least today.
Well, time will tell..

**Sarah, i remember the prunes well at the end of my pregnancy...didnt eat them again for a very long time.

hugs, meg
meg,

ACCORDING TO SOME RESEARCH OUT THERE IT IS THOUGH THE REASON MORE WOMEN THAN MEN HAVE MS IS BECAUSE OF IRON DEF ANEMIA AND SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BODIES INABILITY TO MAINTAIN IRON LEVELS.

NOT SURE WHAT ALL THAT MEANS. I HAVE HAD IRON DEFEINCY ANEMIA FOR YEARS AND JUST RECENTLY GOT MY HGB ABOVE 10.

GLAD YOU ARE FOLLOWING THROUGH WITH THE COLONOSCOPY THOUGH.....

LOVE AND PRAYERS, MISSY
Hi missy,

i feel much better now, im easy !!  I should look into that.  Where are the experts on here???

Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks, missy..thats very interesting..

hugs, meg