Multiple Sclerosis Community
another swallowing question

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

another swallowing question

i do this a lot..but i hold liguids in my mouth for quite a long rime before swallowing and i dont realize I do it and there have been times when the liquid slip down my throat and i choke and cough. Its strange..just want to know if anyone else does that?

have a nice Sunday...

hugs, meg
It's like you forget how to swallow . . . I do this, too, and I've heard other people on this forum state the very same thing.  Mine comes in spurts--thankfully I don't have this symptom every single time I eat and drink.

Maybe someone can give you a tip.  I wonder if ice cold liquids help, because the nerves in your tongue sensing this better????  It could be the opposite, but it would be interesting if anyone knows of some tips . . .

Deb  
Hi meg...this is a problem that a lot of people with MS have to deal with...I have had a bout of it but it passed and I even had a swallowing test done last fall that came back negative of course because the test was done after the fact of the problems.

This is something that should be mentioned to either your gp or your neuro...It is something like we "forget" how to swallow and it takes forever to get that swallowing reflex to work and it's something that we really have to concentrate on it seems.

Testing can be done for this however and I think it is worthwhile to mention to one of your doctors.  Choking is a very real hazard and this isn't something to be taken lightly ok?  Let us know what your doctor says about this will you...it is knowledge that can be passed on to others.  I know that there are different foods that you can try and also foods can be mashed or pureed to assist in the swallowing but I hope that this will pass for you and the mashed and pureed can be put off for a time yet!  I really think you need to pass this by your doctor soon though honey...swallowing issues can be very serious.

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
I know what you are experiencing as my swallowing has gotten progressively worse. It is especially bad when trying to swallow liquids and I dread drinking water now. It almost feels as though my throat is so labored in swallowing and it actually makes a faint clicking sound when completing the swallow, SCARY!   It's interesting how swallowing was such a common thing and not thought of but now at least for me I hate the idea of eating or drinking anything. Just be aware and careful when you eat. I will be curious to see what your doctors think.

I am suppose to schedule an appt. with a speech pathologist and wonder if your doc will have you do the same. Please let us know.

I share your frustration,
oxox Susanne
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forums, but I have experienced my swallowing difficulty for 1 year and 8 months now.  Your post caught my eye because of how you stated that you held food or water in your mouth for a while.  I do the same thing.  I have difficulty initiating a swallow and I have to voluntarily and consciously think about every move.  It's very scary.  I've had so many tests run, and now the doctors are looking at neuromuscular conditions.  Everything else has been ruled out.  I don't cough and choke hardly at all, but it's because I am very aware of my chewing and swallowing.  I'm very careful also as to the size of bites, and I work very hard at being careful.  I've always had a fear of choking, so with that fear, I try everything I can to ensure I do not get choked.  I hope your swallowing gets better, and I know how difficult and consuming it can be.  I take anxiety meds most days to help me relax because the more tense or stressed you are about it, the worse it is on the swallowing.  I'm looking for a diagnosis for this as of right now.  I will soon be going to Vanderbilt hospital to get with a group of specialists that I pray can help me once and for all to determine exactly what this is, and hopefully to get help for it.  I'm 34, and feel like my life has kind of stopped.
Good morning, I remember doing that, it was weird.  It was like I was forgetting to swallow.  But  you know it ddint last long and I haven't experienced it again..

I hope you get your dx soon, I was a mess before mine but I have been on Copaxone for over a year now and I am so much better and my MS is stable.  I still have brain damage but you learn too live with the cog issues.

good luck at the hospital..

hugs, meg

Oh my goodness!  So I have been reading through these and this morning what happens to me...my throat feels like it swells shut.  It is a feeling that is mixed between a swollen throat and cotton mouth.  I went to take some excedrin because I woke up with a BAD headache and it took me almost 5 minutes to get each pill down.  One of them felt like it was stuck half way through and I had to keep swallowing to get it down.

I am wondering if I should call my doctor or wait for my neurologist appointment in a few weeks?

Victoria
Thanks Meg for the info.  i do have a question, I had an MRI when all of this began but there were no lesions present.  Does this rule MS out?
hugs to you as well...