are EMG tests normal in MS?
I was wondering if EMG tests are normal when you have MS.  I have had three EMG tests in the last year which were all normal.  Nerve conduction studies were also normal, but that was only done once.  I have had no other tests.  I have a call in to my PCP for a letter for Hopkins, but today a kind receptionist at  a neurologist in northern NJ gave me an appt for tomorrow!!!!!  She assured me that this doctor won't brush me off.  I have two letters from endocrinologists ( I have low testosterone) saying I need neuro tests.  I am just hoping he doesn't dismiss me because of the normal EMG tests.  So what are the results of most of you?  Thanks.....Craig  
I'm working on this...Q
I hadn't read your note.  I believe that abnormal EMG's indicate a peripheral disease.  They are not expected to be positive in MS, but there are tests that can be done "using the EMG" to detect problems from MS.  I THINK (This is what I am trying to nail down) that in the workup a negative EMG points more toward MS than away from it.

The EMG is done to detect muscle disease and neuro muscular junction disease.  Best example Muscular Dystrophy is a disease of direct damage to the muscles.  Next Myasthenia Gravis is a disorder of the junction the the peripheral nerve interacts with (stimulates) the muscle.  Both are outside the CNS.  

Hope this helps!  Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!  Quix
Hi, Craig~

Infer what you may from this~  After I had a normal EMG/NCV done at the "evil" neuro's office and he was ready to be rid of me (after I had an episode of extreme leg weakness), I contacted my local MS Society chapter to see if the EMG/NCV thing was my last hope of any kind of diagnosis (as my doc had passed my off to a psychiatrist).  

The MS Society said, that, in fact, the next step after normal results from an EMG/NCV would be a Lumbar Puncture and repeat brain MRI.  I got the impression from how it was stated to me that early in MS that an EMG is expected to be somewhat normal.  They gave me protocol to pass along to my doctor, if interested.  

Also, I have visited forums for CIDP, which is really a peripheral disease.  OK, I can be fickle!  An EMG would definitely be abnormal in a peripheral disease such as that, or GBS, Guillain-Barre.  But in central nervous system disease, I'm not sure the EMG would detect damage, especially early in the disease.

I had one done recently and it was 'fairly normal.'  I saw the examiner's yes roll in the back of his head.  I kind of thought he thought I was faking my leg weakness.  Which I'm sick of.  But who cares?  

Hope everything went well today.

Chris*

Thanks for the info.  I was able to read it before my appt.  Please see my separate post about the new neuro.  Hope you are both having an ok week.....Craig
I'm not sure about this so I can't give you an answer, but I just wanted you to know that I was here for you.

I'll be praying,
carol