avonex for dummies book needed
DX on 2/14...started Avonex last week with nurse helping and did fine. This week I thought I did okay but noticed the plunger did not go completely down. It was the 1/2 dose. Since I am inclined to over analyze, trying not to panic. Figure I'll be taking more next week...but since you all seem like you know your stuff...thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks.
Hi, Jef and welcome to the club.  Sorry you have MS, but I am very glad you are being proactive and taking Avonex.  If I remember correctly, Avonex is titrated (each dose bigger than the last) until you get to the full dose, but the prefilled syringes you get are filled with the full dose amount. There should be some leftover until you get all the way to the full dose.

I've not been on Avonex, but for some reason that sticks with me.  I imagine someone else who has started Avonex recently (in the past year) who has experience with their current protocol will jump in and let us know if that is right or wrong..

Panic is not good - you can always call the Avonex hotline and talk to one of the nurses if you have quesitons.  They are available 24/7.

Hope to see you around,
Laura

Hey...thanks for the welcome. I am relatively new to this. Wish I had a dollar for every time some goober from the RX company asks if I'm depressed. Duh...kinda dealing with a life-changer here. I did have a dark week or two in February but for now, pretty stable. I'm guessing perspective will be a key for the tough times. Well...thanks again...and your story about Disney was an encouraging hoot.
When I started avonex, it was titrated as Lulu mentioned. The first week it was a 1/4 dose, second week 1/2 dose, third week 3/4 dose and a full dose from there on.Titrating helps your body adjust so it hopfully cuts back on the flu like side effects and such.

After the forth dose I went on the Avonex pen and love it. I hope you do as well on it as I and many others have.

Take Care,
Paula
Been on Avonex for the 5 months(with a month off during Xmas...I know I wasnt supposed too) after trying copaxone and Beta. Been taking the Avonex pen for the last 4 cylces. I am still getting sick after I take the shot but its not as bad as it was. The pen is easy to use but kinda stressful while doing it. It rarely hurts and is over quickly. If you think you can handle the pen I would use it. You do not have to worry about the plunger going down or anything else.
I also overanalyze, and it took me a while to realize that it’s OK if an unplanned event alters my injection routine, it’s OK to update my journal a couple weeks late with my best guesses at injection time, it’s OK if a couple drops are still in the needle after injection, it’s OK to inject a couple days late because of travel or late medicine shipments, it’s OK to not use the alcohol wipe (although I still always do).

And it’s OK if your plunger didn’t go completely down. Titration is a helpful thing you can do that I didn’t have the option of doing nine years ago, although of course if you titrate you can’t use the Avonex Pen until you’re ready for a full dose.