Multiple Sclerosis Community
bladder implant for neurogenic bladder?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

bladder implant for neurogenic bladder?

I am posting this question for a friend who has MS and is in a wheelchair.  She has been losing bladder function.  She went to a uro-gyn who suggested inserting a "pacemaker type implant" into the bladder to stimulate it and help her get bladder function to resume.

He said the bladder implant would help her feel the sensation she needs to have so she can urinate when the bladder is full.

Anyone hear of such an implant being used in MS patients??

Thanks,
Elaine
hi, I was offered this implant  - I don't have MS and am not in a wheelchair.  I have loss of bladder sensation and urinary retention.  I turned it down as it can be dislodged by excessive movement and at the time I was more mobile, and also is not a good idea if you're likely to get pregnant, just what I was told.  Otherwise it seems to be a common, so I assume successful treatment.  If your friend is very limited in mobility because of her being in a wheelchair and not intending to have children in the near future it may well be worth considering.  

The alternative is intermittant self-catheterization, which is what I do.  However, that requires a great deal of manual dexterity and control.  I had an issue with weakness in my hands some months back and realised how much full hand use was needed for this, it is very fiddly.  The area also needs to be kept extremely clean to avoid introducing infection.  

The clinic I visit is also used by MS patients as it is a general uro-neurology and uro-gynaecology clinic.  Sorry this doesn't answer your question directly but I do know of such devices and that they are commonly used for these problems.  I do not know the long term success rates.  I don't know where you are but I am UK based, so only can speak from my experiences here.
Thank you for your information.  I hope this will help her.  I do not think self catheterization would be a good option for her.

Elaine
hi elainne,

this is nice of you inquiring for you rfriend.
I have   hadd a trial of inte rstim therapy. My urrologiist was grasping for help to me. My neurologists were behinnd whatever he could do. I have mixed  signals, bothh spasms, completel incontence and retention.

I am  somwhat still amble, but in w'c. THata would not have made his decission for trial any different.
I met online others   with implant   , but not neuro patients, and seemed rare they had problems with them dislodging.

I was not sucessful and had the trial removed. Mainly because my nerve damage on my sacral he had very difficult time finding any good respoonse. He tried very hard to make it work. We knew goiong into it was slim odds.

at the time it was NOT recommended/allowed to have MRi with the implant. SO she would not be able to have them (unless rules changes ?)

For me it was difficult in the trail, many appts and changes of the setttings and appts. keeping loogss ann d so much attention. In someone it works, it is slife changing.

If she can nnnot self cathh , it sounds either a floey or suprapubic woudl be her othe r choice.

I hope this helpsss some. If there are more questions , just ask.
amo

Thanks so much for your help.  I will let my friend know.  I think she wants to try it out.  She is 49 and wants to do whatever she can to feel more normal.

I appreciate your help AMO!!

Elaine
hi elaine

i read the post again, and I am excited your  friend maybe tring this.
I have not met anyother neurology patients who have either beeen offeered, or wiilling to  try.
Wanted to make sure what we are discussing sre the     same thing, the inte rr stim therapy.

I tactually is not in the bladder    , does not touch the bladder. Aa lead is to one of the sacral nerves . They insertt the lead mutiple inserts and watch for the place with best reaction when stimulated((ha! won't telll what that actually intales:)

She should make sure  her doctor has experience with this procedure.
My docto r was teaching at university to doctors.
She shouldalso be givien a video to watch so she knows the procedure. As usual they use only the sucesss stories.

I  have heard some doctors may do this in their o wn facility, if they have the equipment. And set up.
I Had mine done in a hospital in the o.R. H euused a fluroscopy.

They will  wana t to see at least 50% improvemtnt too proooceed to the permannnt device.
I will   wish he well with good  sucess ! And will love to hear what haappens if it is ok with her and youu can.

take care, amo