Multiple Sclerosis Community
breathing...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

breathing...

Hello all... have been experienceing shortness of breath for a few weeks now... treatment for sinus inf helped slightly... back to pc yesterday, sinus CT 12/5... full PFT's 12/5... use inhalers and nasal spray... looking for answers!!!  Last week also experienced severe left eye socket pain... only lasted like a minute, sys dr appt today... saw him in sept and oct already, for annual and RX recheck... eye's were dialated in sept and fine... just wondered if anyone else has experienced these issues and how they resolved them... I do remembering push a spot in the back of my neck a while back because it felt weird... I wonder if any of these things are related.  Sometimes I think people think I'm nuts so I don't even share things :)
Breathing difficulties can be part of MS, if the chest muscles get weakened due to poor nerve conduction. If this is going to happen, it's usually in the latter stages of MS, though I guess anything is possible.

The rest of what you describe, in my very lay opinion, sounds like an upper respiratory problem or infection or something similar, which we're all subject to regardless of MS.

I have been battling similar issues, with the addition of very productive coughing, for many months now, without success. Various remedies, under the supervision of an ENT and my primary doctor, have not worked. The only test that has shown something noteworthy is the bloodwork, which turned up a very high SED rate, meaning severe inflammation 'somewhere.' I'm in process of trying to get this pinned down

.If I were you I wouldn't focus on this in terms of MS, but would continue to push for answers elsewhere.

Good luck.

ess

Thanks for your input ess... I have many enviromental allergies and sinus issues!  I don't think it's chest wall issues... it's higher than that.... hopefully CT and PFT's will give me the answers I'm looking for...PC doesn't feel eye pain is related to sinus issues therefore I'm off to my eye dr again :)
Update... eye Dr dialated pupil and says optic nerve looks the same as 2 mos ago... already abnormal due to trama at birth!  But no change so all is good... I have no idea regarding optic nuritis because I have no vision in that eye already :)  No CT results yet!  Also wondering if starting of Soma at bedtime could be a contributing factor
Do you have high blood pressure?  Ask the doc for an inhaler for these times and see if that helps.  
Breathing problems can be related to MS but I would rule out cardiac disease, which can be silent, first.  Try getting an EKG and maybe an echocardiogram.  

Don't worry if your doc thinks your nuts - don't let that stop you from getting good care - change your doc if you need to do so.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response... I have low to normal blood pressure.  EKG, cardiac labs and chest xray normal. Awaiting sinus CT results.  My dr is great I use to manage their office :)  Never leaves any rock unturned. He was the one who diagnosed me with MS then referred to MS specialist. Full pulmonary function tests shcheduled for 12/5.  I have steroid and rescue inhalers.  I do have a history of allergy induced asthma.  Haven't had issues in a long time so he is ruling everything else out before be just chalks it up to another allergy episode :)