Multiple Sclerosis Community
bruising with Copaxone

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

bruising with Copaxone

I have a quick question for all you veteran Copaxone users out there.  When my the nurse was showing me how to inject my Copaxone, she said that I should not get bruises.  I have had slight bruises left on my arms and legs after my past 3 injections.  Should I be worried?  I have been getting a pretty big welt, about the size of an orange, and then the next day the area is bruised.  Nothing major, but I just wanted to see if anyone had this experience.

Thanks!

katie

Bruising with SubQ injections may be caused by too shallow an injection.  I'm guessing you are using the autoinjector.  Try changing the depth setting you are using (I'd suggest deeper.)  

Bob
I think it is common to bruise with the injections.  I have been on copaxone over a year, and I still bruise.  I used to have welts for about 6 months or so.  I tried ice before/after, than heat before/after, deeper/shallower etc.  I took lots of benadryl pill/cream at times.  Neuro kept telling to me continue, so I did.

Now I still do bruise at times, with very few welts. It is much better though.

I have found for me that deeper was better. I do also know lots of people that have to opposite experience as well.  I think it takes lots of practice to figure what works well for you.

Michelle
I bruised with every Copaxone injection I ever did no matter what. However the bruises went away in a few days. It never really bothered me.

Alex
The other option is to manually inject.  Autoinjectors are pretty traumatic.  It takes a bit of doing to inject the arms over the triceps, but you can manage it with a high backed chair.  I was a Navy Corpsman for about 12 years, so I trust holding the needle and injecting myself much more than I trust the autoinjector.  

Bob
Katie,
I,too , bruised initially with my Copaxone injections. Adjusting the depth setting depending on the area to be injected is a good idea. When I figured out the right depth for each injection site , I wrote it in my calendar/journal they sent.

Icing afterwards helped me as did keeping the injector vertical . One Shared Solutions nurse told me that the injector itself should not touch the skin when injecting.  She asked me if I had a ring right after I injected, I said "yes" and she said I was putting too much pressure on the skin. I changed my technique and the bruising decreased and finally stopped.

It does get better for most people. Hang in there and feel free to post again if you have any other questions.

Ren
I do have a "ring" when I finish injecting.  I'll try not pushing so hard tomorrow!  I think I'm afraid to have the injections go any deeper, I'm at a 6 right now, but I reduced it to 5 on my legs because I just don't have much fat there.  
I'm happy to know that the bruises are not completely abnormal.  My nurse said that a bruise would indicate that you hit muscle.  It doesn't hurt that bad and I can definitely live with it, if the injections keep the MS at bay.

Thanks for all the great responses.  You guys are all really sweet.

Katie