Multiple Sclerosis Community
can ms affect repiratory muscles?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

can ms affect repiratory muscles?

Hi just another question ! Can ms affect respiratery muscles Recently been for lung function test and they were thanksabnormal ! going back for a second test in october ! the professor i saw said he doesnt know whats causing it . Here I go again i suppose
I am not sure whether MS can affect respiratory muscles, but theoretically they can affect any muscles.

However, abnormal lung function test could be caused by many things - maybe not even related to MS.  Asthma is one.  But in that case they test and then give you a bronchodilator and then test again.... what did your test results say?

Best wishes

S
just did some research. Yes, respiratory muscles can be affected in MS.  This is usually significant in people who are very handicapped, but guess there would be a range of how it affects people.  

From an article: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Respiratory+Muscle+Weakness+and+Respiratory+Muscle+Training+in...-a072789058
One of the most important factors in the morbidity and mortality of multiple sclerosis (MS) is the pulmonary complications associated with this disorder. When respiratory motor pathways are involved, respiratory muscle weakness frequently occurs and may impair the ability to cough effectively, leading to aspiration, pneumonia, and acute ventilatory failure (trouble breathing).

It would be important for your doctor to try to work out why you are having abnormal lung function test (MS or something else) and then to monitor and treat....

S
Hi thanks very much for that I,m due to see the lung specialist again oct  12th for another set of lung function tests and a reveiw .There doing a standing and sitting spirometry not too sure what the difference is with that test ? If any one knows why they do that could they let me know please .
Im in the uk so we dont get the results over here he just told me they were abnormal and mentioned problem with respiratory muscle function . I have had some problems with breathing but do not have asthma . Ive also had problems with my diaphragm muscles going into spasms as well but  they treated this whith a short course of diazepam each time and that works .
C3,4,5 keeps the diaphragm alive.  So if you have a spinal lesion in that area it could most definitely affect diaphragm muscle.  As for the intercostal muscles the lesion would be located in the thoracic spinal cord.  Do you have any recent spinal MRI's that could possibly show lesions in this area?  Que
Hi thanks very much for that info. I have never had a spinal mri so to be honest wouldnt know I have recently had a ct of the thorax region without contrast would that show something up? Chris
No, I don't think CT would be very reliable.  Spinal cord is even harder to see lesions on than brain and contrast is really necessary.  I would think they will follow up soon with spinal MRI if asthma and other autoimmune lung things are not the issue.  Hope it is asthma/quick fix solution!  Que
Appreciate your response ! Maybe they will you can never tell in the uk what ther up to or whats going on cos they skirt round issues rather than giving direct answers. Could do with a quick fix solution for something for once . Thanks very much for helping out with that anyway  ! Chris uk