Multiple Sclerosis Community
changes in neuro exam

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

changes in neuro exam

Why is it that the neuro exam results can change. I no longer, thankfully have babinski sign in my feet, but wondered why. I have RRMS but still have so much to learn.
For us, each day is a new adventure :-)

Kyle
So it would seem! Do neuro exams differ alot each time, and as the disease progresses do these signs become permanent?
There really is no way to tell. It is very likely that there will be some changes from one exam to the next. A lot depends on the time between exams. A lot will also depend on the nature of your MS.

Because each and every one of us has our very own version, you can't really say "Well this happened to you so it will happen to me." In my case, my neuro exams have been pretty stable for the last 20 months (4 exams). I have SPMS.

Sorry I can't give you a pat answer :-)

Kyle
I understand what your saying and thank you for answering me. I have so many questions and what ifs. I'm sure in time I'll get to understand my MS and my body. Thanks Kyle :)
Until you mentioned this, i didn't know the Babinski sign could be positive and then negative, so out of curiosity i went looking lol and after reading more than i ever wanted to know, i still couldn't find anything in the literature mentioning it could change......so i kept looking. I eventually came across the term "transient Babinski sign" ahhha I thought, if they've named it, surely now i'll find something to explain it but i'm still not really closer towards understanding than i was when i started lol

"It thus appears that the Babinski sign is an indication of withdrawal of supraspinal control of flexor reflexes in the lower limbs. Clinically it can be equated with inactivation, transient or permanent, of the upper motor neurone, which term implicates corticoreticulospinal fibres as well as the pyramidal tract anywhere in its path from cerebral cortex to termination in the cord."
http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/73/4/360.full

http://repub.eur.nl/res/pub/26189/771116_Gijn,%20Jan%20van.pdf  *note this is very-very detailed and probably more than you'd want to know.

Most of what i found didn't mention transient, and until I came across the term, i had the distinct impression that it was a permanent definitive neurological sign of lesions. I am honesty finding it really difficult to pin down, so far i haven't found anything written about transient Babinski and MS put if i get some time, i'm still interested in having another look.

Cheers..........JJ

Very informative, JJ.  I haven't had a positive babinski -- but I have had transient "no reaction" during the test, while the other side is fine.  Other days it's fine.
I believe that like other things with RRMS it can be due to the inflammation of whatever lesions are being affected during a flare  So if you went while your nerves were still being inflamed from your most recent flare (or if you were in the midst of one, etc, etc), then it would be positive.  But over time as it calms down if no permanent damage was done than it could go back to normal.  Just like other things that happen during a flare.  

At least that is my understanding.
Thanks for all your responses. All very helpful :)