Multiple Sclerosis Community
choking?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

choking?

Have been recently having choking sensation when swallowing. Not sure if choking is the right word. I start to cough violently like something's stuck in my throat - can be when I'm drinking, eating ice cream or even on my own saliva! A bit disconcerting, but nothing TOO upsetting. This is a new thing. I am coming back out of my much-appreciated "good patch". Seems each time the "festivities" return there is either something new or something a little worse, new body part involved, etc... you all know the drill.

I wouldn't call it a swallowing problem, but it's not a pleasure either.

Still absolutley swamped at work, so will have to continue my weekend visits unfortunately.

much love,
Penn
Hi there!

I love your term "festivities"!!!!!  What a great way to look at this all in a bit more of a humorous way,  I look for humor in everything so thats really appreciated!

Yes,  I get that sensation also.  I have stopped all my meds except for the antidepressant and I decreased that to see whether some of these sx could be coming from all the meds I have been given lately.

Mine feels like I have a constant piece of bread stuck right in the middle of my throat.  I also have a strange thing happen sometimes when I am in the middle of trying to swallow a mouthfull of food, my brain stops telling my throat what to do and the food starts to get caught and it freaks me out a bit.  

I am sorry you are entering the Festivities phase again.  I hope that it ends up just being a few bad days and that you get back to the good days soon!!

Take care and Hugs!
Kristin
Yes, I do the same thing.  I sometimes cough violently, especially when I'm eating, but has happened all different times.  I think it's when I try to breathe and swallow at the same time.  And yes, Kristin I also have that funny sensation of not being able to swallow.  I find I have to tell myself to remain calm and it will eventually go down.  I've even done this on my own saliva.  Very odd, this MS.  But it's nice to know we're in great company.  

Take care,
Barb
I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS IN THE PAST AND FREQUENTLY HAVE IT NOW.

I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK MINE ARE SPASM RELATED.YOU MIGHT WANNA TALK TO YOUR DR.

WISH I HAD MORE TO OFFER

SENDING YA HUGS

T-LYNN
Well, I too, have festivities of the throat.

First off I have spasm with drier food (most especially chicken or turkey breast).  It sticks right at the level of the top of my sternum.  It aches, and if I try to gulp water to "wash it down" the water comes back out explosively and the pain is horrible.  Only by sipping little tiny amounts of water can I feel it dislodge and move down.  Then for about 5 minutes there is still the achey (achy) sensation of spasm, but I can swallow okay.  This has been happening for about 10 years, about 7 longer than my first MS symptoms, so I think it might be related to Reflux or something.

Then, there are the occasional times when I cannot initiate a swallow.  Doesn't matter what it is: food, water, saliva.  It's like I have completely forgotten how - no clue what to do.  Seems to resolve best if I lean forward slightly and just try to fake the action of swallowing.  But it doesn't last a long time, probably 10 or 15 seconds.  It's not anxiety..it's just weird.

Then there are the times (especially when eating chocolate) that the saliva with the chocolate in it, or my saliva alone or drinking something, that it just rolls down my trachea and chokes me - the proverbial "going down the wrong pipe."  These are happening more and more frequently.  These I choke and cough and then begin to wheeze sometimes.

Penn - I'm glad you finally had a respite from the symptoms.  I, too, am in a very nice remission.  The facial pain is completely gone, replaced by a weird, tingly, thick feeling in my lower lip - both sides.  But, my right-sided weakness is much improved.  Makes me wonder what all the fuss was about.  I'm still sleeping 12 hours a day though.

We'll look for you on the weekends, then.

Quix